Clear all

what should i do???

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

my problem is, my teacher ( who i think is an incredible guitar player)
puts so much on me to learn in 1 week, and the next week play it all back to him , for example scales, all 10 that i know, up and down, no bum notes, no mistakes period, if i dont do it perfect its work on it 1 more week, i asked him if i can go every two weeks, so i can have ample amount of time to be ready for the next week, he told me if i cant come every week, he will have to let me go, at 30 bucks a pop to be told 1 more week every other week is starting to get old, should i just find a new teacher? :?

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Well, there are three solutions to this; Work harder (Hey, you could just be lazy :lol: ), convince him to let you take lessons every other week or to go easier on you(its your money, if the guy doesn't do what you say, cut his amp cord and leave :wink: ), or leave him. If your not enjoying your experiance with him, leave him. Guitar playing is supposed to be fun, and challenges are always there; but if he isn't making it fun, get another teacher. Happy playing man. :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@rag_doll_92)
Reputable Member

I'd say go with it, it might be a lot of work but if he's pushing you to go faster, there must be a reason.

Join the fight to stop global warming...
Join the virtual march at: http://www.stopglobalwarming.org
We CAN make a diffrence!

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

How much are you practicing the stuff he gives you though out the week?

And be honest.

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

its not that i"m not learning the material that he gives me, its that i dont have it down perfect, with no mistakes, i practice my butt off, when i'm not at work.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Can you do it perfectly at home?

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

sometimes i can.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Well just because someone's a good player doesn't make him a good teacher. Is he doing the things a good teacher should? Watching your posture, telling you to practice slowly. Not amusing himself with his own playing?

Sorry for all the questions but it's hard to assess where the problem is. Whether it's the way you are practicing (quality not quantity), performance anxiety or that your learning style and his teaching methods simply don't mesh.

Take a hard look at the way you are practicing and the way he's teaching. Tell him the amount you think you're comfortable with. If he's not willing to lessen the amount then you may have to leave.

PS
If you think it's performance anxiety, try recording yourself.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@itziks)
Estimable Member

tell your teacher you want a lesson each two weeks
if he doesn't accept it - change your teacher.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

He may not want you to come every other week for a good reason. If your there on say Wednesday, at 6 oclock every other week, it'll be difficult for him to find someone to come at 6 oclock on the week you aren't there, because most students will want a common time, once a week.

However, you don't have to play the stuff he gives you perfectly. He may have been saying that in the hope that it would make you practice more (in which case, I'm undermining that whole effort). You're paying him, not the other way around. You shouldn't be nervous when you go there, and you probably won't be once you get to know him. I'd say stick with it, do the best that you can. If you don't like it after 4 lessons, tell him how you feel. Communication is essential. If he can't address your concerns, leave him.

Good luck with it.

Taso

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

thanks taso, i just talked to him on the phone and he said , basically what you guys are saying" i wont put on you what i think you cant handle"
he also said that students " think that they know how to judge thier progress, and what they can handle and what they cant" basically he thinks, i guess i'm doing ok, so i'm going to hang, cause i love guitar, and this guy is incredible guitar player 8)

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

yoyo----------
i like your style man, you may only be 15 but i like the way you put sh**t, good job :P

ReplyQuote