Clear all

what to learn and when

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@snaggletooth)
Topic starter  

Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been asked before (and I'd be very surprised if it hasn't), but in
your opinion what would you consider the best things to learn as a newbie
guitar player and in what order?

I know that this is a really ambiguous question and I imagine that there are
a number of opinions on this, but at the moment I'm confused as to what
would be an effective progression plan.

I'm taking 1 lesson a week at the moment and learning scales (which I know
will come in handy for soloing - but is this putting the cart before the horse?) and
taught myself 5 major chords from a book I bought by Terry Burrows.

Basically I want to be competent enough to play rock or metal on my cheap and cheerful
Strat copy (although I'm not dismissing other genres)

Thanks, as always, for your views on this folks - and sorry for asking such a noob question

Your bones will build my palaces, your eyes will stud my crown.
For I am Mars, the god of war, and I will cut you down.

(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

This site is a good place to start. Learn some of the lessons here.

Scales come in handy for much more than soloing. If you know your scales, you know your fretboard and your chords. Practice them solemnly. And listen to your teacher.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

You might want to check out the beginner songs here. David Hodge does a great job of breaking them down step by step and I learned Horse with No Name and Wish You Were Here pretty quickly. Now I'm working on Kansas City and the Crosby Stills and Nash song Love the One You're With. Also might want to talk to your teacher. Maybe he/she can give you some songs to work with.

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Don't think I've seen you around yet, so welcome to GN!

Any guitarist will need to have atleast a basic understanding of both lead and rhythm playing, in my opinion. So starting out with some basic scales and major/minor chords seems a very sane start to me. Make sure you always apply everything you learn by playing a real song using the scales or chords. That way you'll get a much better understanding of what the point of all those different scales, theory etc is.

The most important thing of all however is not what you practice, but how you experience it. There are so many things you'll eventually want to learn it doesn't really matter what you take on first. So make sure the learning part is fun and you enjoy learning new things. If you're doing that the rest is just a matter of time.

Enjoy!

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Well, if you can play 5 chords you can play all nu-metal, grunge and advanced punk stuff...

Seriously, welcome to Guitarnoise. Check out the lessons on this site by David Hodge. Anything not clear? Just ask.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Well, if you can play 5 chords you can play all nu-metal, grunge and advanced punk stuff...

Awe CRAP! I gotta go learn 2 more chords!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@snaggletooth)
Topic starter  

Thanks for replying guys! :D

Think I was having one of those days yesterday
when I was feeling a little overawed by it all!
So much to learn eh!

Your bones will build my palaces, your eyes will stud my crown.
For I am Mars, the god of war, and I will cut you down.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

...when I was feeling a little overawed by it all!
So much to learn eh!

I still say that to myself every morning! And I hope I'm still saying it after another thirty years of playing... :wink:

Peace

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Arjen and David hit on what I was going to say.

Its much more important that you get your mindset on right, much more than what your progression of learning should be. Thats because you'll have alot of ups and downs. Things you are excited about and times you are just really frustrated. So, dont think of it as a progression but everytime you pick up your guitar just appreciate the experience of playing it. Dont get wrapped up in sounding better than so-n-so.

Sounds like your in the right place any way. Learn some scales, some chords, find a song or two that you can play with those chords. Thats what its all about. The more important thing is that you pick it up each day and play.

Have fun
Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote