Clear all

What to look for in a Guitar Tutor

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@lineagecreed)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

To all those who are willing to help. I want to take some private lessons but have some questions.

1.Where should I be looking for them (flyers in guitarshops, telephone books?)
2.What quailties should I be looking for in my tutor
3. How much would it cost (I'm a college student, so not sure how much I could afford)

or any other tips inputs you are willing to share

thank you so much

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

1.Where should I be looking for them (flyers in guitarshops, telephone books?)
2.What quailties should I be looking for in my tutor
3. How much would it cost (I'm a college student, so not sure how much I could afford)

1. All of those. I have had the best luck asking in guitar shops. Of course, they are biased but its as best place as any.

2. Someone that is friendly and you feel comfortable around. Someone that knows the particular music you are interested in. Someone you are comfortable around. Kind of depends on your level too. If you have played a while then you might want a someone that has more knowledge than someone that is just a beginning player.

3. Seems to vary by region. I pay 15 a week now that my son and I both take lessons from the same studio. I think I paid 20 a week when it was just me. That is for 30 min lessons.

Also, try lessons from a variety of people until you find one you like. Seems like alot of instructors will give you one from lesson to try them out. Try several out.

Good luck
Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

We had quite a detailed discussion about what people wanted to get from a good teacher (or student) a few weeks back. In case it helps, it's here:

Teacher/Student thread

Cheers Chris

ReplyQuote
(@srv-fan68)
Eminent Member

I was really lucky when I found mine. I did a Google search for "guitar lessons <MyCity>" and his was at the very top of the results. I looked over his site, found that he was into the same kind of music I was and had been teaching a long time.

He's very good, we get along and he is able to play and teach very well.

I've learned and retained more in my 4 lessons so far than I have in the past 2 years trying to learn myself.

Good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

I think guitar shops are good, but look for a professional kind of flyer and just call around. Most are willing to give you a free introductory lesson and so you can decide if they're right for you. I found my guitar teacher this way.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote