Clear all

What to look for in a teacher?

19 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have taken some lessons before at a little local music store but they didn't go very well. I paid for a month's worth of lessons, had 3 and then my teacher cancelled two weeks in a row because he was "sick". I went back the following week to find that the store had closed and was now a vacant building for rent. So much for the 4th lesson I paid in advance for.:?
During the 3 lessons that I had, I really got the feeling that he wasn't taking me seriously anyway. It was as if I had to plan the lesson and tell him what we were doing. I really had no clue what questions to even ask him, let alone what I thought I shoud be learning. So, he would just print off a TAB of a song and tell me to learn it. Sorry, I can do that at home for a lot less money.

Anyway, I am looking for a new teacher so my question is; what should I be looking for/asking this person? Should I take lessons on my acoustic or my new Tele? I've been playing for about a year, I know some chords and a few songs and I can look at a TAB and figure it out, or figure out a song by ear. I don't know many scales, exercises or solos and I don't really have a structured practice schedule. I have just been trying to learn chords and songs. I would ultimately like to learn to read music.
I may be a 37 year old woman but I really want to do this, if not for anyone else but me. I really want to find a teacher that I fit with and who will teach me and not treat me like a bored housewife who has a new hobby of the month. Any advice is appreciated.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

(@margaret)
Noble Member

Personal recommendations are your best bet for finding a good teacher, IMO.

I'd look for someone who has several regular, long-term students and some years of experience. Ask for the names and numbers of a few students who you can call for references and opinions.

Since you have both electric and acoustic, I would definitely look for a teacher who teaches both. No reason you can't switch back and forth in lessons, depending what you're currently working on.

And you want to learn to read standard notation, so be sure the teacher knows and uses both that and TAB.

Maybe ask the teacher what his/her favorite books/methods are and take a look at those prior to signing up.

Check out the lesson site. If teaching out of their home, does the teacher have a studio or area set aside just for lessons? Or are there going to be a lot of family distractions taking away from your lesson time?

Maybe set up the first month of lessons as a trial basis to see if your styles of teaching and learning mesh well.

Just some ideas off the top of my head.....good luck!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

I was a 40 year old beginner, now I'm a 42 year old novice. I've not had any formal lessons but have had a number of sessions with a friend who's a fairly accomplished player and those sessions have been remarkably helpful.

Sounds like you've hit the nail on the head yourself when you say you want a good fit with a teacher who won't treat you "like a bored housewife who has a new hobby of the month". I think one of the most important things in a teacher needs to be that they understand and respect your goals - look at why YOU are doing what you're doing instead of expecting you to be doing it for their reasons.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

This is a very important question, that has been asked by just about everybody when they decide to find a teacher. I know this question has been asked before - search the archives and you will get lots of good responses.

My own 2 cents - its your money, so do the homework to be sure that you are getting a good teacher for you:

1. Follow Margaret's point to try to get some recommendations.
2. Search your area for all the teachers in your area.
3. Call each teacher and ask as many questions as you need to determine if they might be a good fit.
4. Make a list of the finalists and call them back. Ask for references from some of their current students - ask for the student's phone numbers and call them.
5. Ask the teacher if you might sit it to observe them work with a student at roughly the same level of skill, so you can see how they teach.

I went through this process, and I really weeded out a lot of "bad" teachers that couldn't come up with one name of their students who I could speak to. I used this process to find my son's drum instructor - he has now been going to the guy for 2 years and both my son and I love the job he is doing! It was well worth the effort! Of course, the teacher will have to get the student's permission first, but a good teacher will have students who rave about him/her. And, the in-person observation will show you if the teacher's style will fit with you.

Good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

I teach part time, the majority of my students are adults who invested in guitars and went to music schools and left thinking they could never learn, so take it for what it's worth.

I give a 30 minute intro lesson free, it gives the student and myself a chance to get aquainted and decide if we can work together. I spend this time questioning the potential student to see what it is they want out of the lessons, what their short term and long time goals are, and then discussing a plan to accomplish it.
It isn't always about a bad teacher or a hopeless student, sometimes people just don't mesh.

Avoid teachers who spend lesson time "Showing off"

Look for a teacher who is willing to base lessons around music you like. It is alot easier to practice when you are learning something you like than when you are just doing excersizes.

Look for a teacher who wants you to keep a practice log and checks it

Look for a teacher who is willing to answer a question via e-mail or phone call about somthing in the lesson you didn't understand or is fustrating you when you practice

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

Tele sounds like my ideal teacher. Wonder how long the drive to Denver is from West Australia... :wink:

Good question though. I remember we discussed this back in 2005, and if you skip all my usual waffle I think there were some good ideas along the way. Input from both teachers and students here.

What do you look for in a teacher - or in a student

You certainly need to find somebody who is good fit for you - your style and your pace of learning. I'd agree with what was said, and maybe add flexibility too. Naturally, a teacher wants to see you every week - they've got a living to make - but I found that a bit much after a while.

As a mature age student I found that the week vanished with great speed, and after a couple of months it started to feel a bit too frequent . So I told the last guy in advance that I'd only come for 4 or 5 weeks because I know that that's as long as I can go before I need to stop and just work on what I've learned at my own pace. But we're all different. I've had lessons from several different people, and I'd cheerfully go back and ask any of them about specific things. But there's only one who I'd feel comfortable going to see every week for any length of time.

Currently, I mostly learn on my own, from books, or from friends. But I'll definitely go and have more lessons if I get to a stage that I feel I could do with some structured help with. We're all different I guess.

Re-reading your post, probably the most important thing is to find somebody who actually enthuses and motivates you, and that's going to be down to whether you 'click' or not. I liked CFB's idea of asking other students, and seeing how they feel about the teacher.

Best of luck with the search.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Chris:

I just noticed your signature line! Imagine that - I have actually been quoted! :D

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Chris:

I just noticed your signature line! Imagine that - I have actually been quoted! :D

Hope you don't mind! :)

Somebody put a quote of mine in a sig once, and I was rather chuffed to spot it. So I now keep an eye out for good lines by others. You also did manage to sum it up beautifully in one line. I always waffle on for pages... :oops:

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Hey Cowgirl.. Dont buy any of that "just a midlife crisis housewife thing" Until you die, you can be anything you wanna be.

On finding a teacher, I think my best advice is just just keep searching until you find one that really clicks with you. To me, its almost like finding a soul mate to marry. It takes a few lessons to really nail it down. Also, I had one of those that "showed off" but for me it wasnt a bad thing cause it was inspiring. But ya, I do agree not to let them make it about them. Also, find someone that really challenges you. You dont learn near as much from the stuff you do easily as you do from the stuff that is difficult.

Rock on.
Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I always waffle on for pages... :oops:

Your waffling is one of your most redeeming qualities out of so many. Besides... I LOVE waffles.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Take an active role in finding a teacher. Write down what you want to archieve exactly. You want to learn to read, that should not be a wish but a demand. Write down which genres you are interested in. Think about whether or not you are interested in some theory. When you got it all down go meet some teachers and present them with your goals and have them explain how they will have you archieve them. Trust yourself, if he seems to be vague ask for specific information. Don't go to a teacher that uses the 'whatever, as long as you pay' mentality. Try to see if he is passionate about music and teaching or if he just considers it 'his job'.

Finally, be polite and respectfull but don't take nonsense from nobody. If you don't get something ask for an explanation. If he can't give it find another teacher. Good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Excellent advice from Arjen. :)

Writing things down is one of those "oh yeah, maybe I'll get round to it..." things that really does pay off when you actually do it. Yes, really do it - with a pen - not just in your mind.

It makes you sift through all the vague foggy thoughts and dreams and nail what it is you really do want to learn and achieve. Writing it down helps you concentrate your thoughts and then edit them. I've learned a lot about music just in the process of working out how to reply to posts here without making a complete fool of myself. :oops:

Some people work best with a 'guru' style of teacher, who they can follow and admire. Some prefer a sort of 'conversation between equals'. Others treat a teacher as an employee who they are paying to provide knowledge. They expect to say "I want you to provide this, this and this". I'm sure there's many other styles, but knowing where you sit on that curve can help.

Maybe two aspects could be benefit from writing some notes:

1. What's my student style, and what style would suit me in a teacher?

2. What do I want to learn? Is it: Theory, Left hand work, Right hand work, Timing, Specific songs, Playing in a style or genre, Solo or Rhythm Playing, Developing an Ear, Playing with others, Songwriting.... or whatever..??? And do I have a priority in mind??..

Speaking of which, I think I'll spend the next half an hour writing my own list out - it's long overdue....:oops: ... it might help me focus on where I'm going in 2007.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey Cowgirl.. Dont buy any of that "just a midlife crisis housewife thing" Until you die, you can be anything you wanna be.
Jim
Midlife?? I'm sorry, but I plan to live to at least 90, so I have another 10 years before I am at midlife. :wink:
Hehe, I bought a new Mustang this summer too so between that and my Tele, my family has teased me about having a midlife crisis.

Seriously though, I am finding it very true that until you die you can be anything you want to be.
Some very good advice here, as usual. I will start making my list of goals and then go through the phone book and interview teachers and their students. My former teacher was close by and convenient so I really didn't put that much thought into it. He was also a bit show-offish. Most of the half hour was spent watching him play stuff.
I also like the idea of not necessarily going to a lesson every week. I may need a few weeks off here and there to concentrate on something or just due to being busy. Flexibility will be a must.
Thanks for the advice everyone. More is always welcome. :)

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Take an active role in finding a teacher. Write down what you want to archieve exactly. You want to learn to read, that should not be a wish but a demand. Write down which genres you are interested in. Think about whether or not you are interested in some theory. When you got it all down go meet some teachers and present them with your goals and have them explain how they will have you archieve them. Trust yourself, if he seems to be vague ask for specific information. Don't go to a teacher that uses the 'whatever, as long as you pay' mentality. Try to see if he is passionate about music and teaching or if he just considers it 'his job'.

Finally, be polite and respectfull but don't take nonsense from nobody. If you don't get something ask for an explanation. If he can't give it find another teacher. Good luck!

This is sound thinking. I have a student who adopts the "whatever" mentality and has only come up with one song he wanted to learn in over a year and a half. Well, it taught him his first lesson about soloing but apart from that it's debatable whether it taught anything else. I'm slightly concerned that he'll take it as a personal rejejction if I cancel him (he's already hiding from the world behind a black-dyed emo fringe), so I'm working on how to do it humanely.

So, do know what it is you want to learn and take responsibility for getting that across to your teacher early on. It's so much more helpful than expecting lessons to be a one-way street.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

I haven't taken lessons since last March and I probably haven't learned much since then, either.

Your first teacher wasn't very good for you so you probably already learned your first lesson about guitar teachers. In any case, you'll be lucky to find the guitar teacher to end all guitar teachers. Not to be pessimistic about it or anything, it's just that each one is different and everyone knows something different. For now just look for someone who you like well enough, who charges a reasonable price and who is convenient. I've had to give up on teachers/lessons just because the person wasn't conveneint either in time or location. As long as the person has more experience with the guitar than what you have, you stand to learn something from that person. I've had both good and bad teachers but I've learned things even from the bad ones. And ironically, my "good" teacher, the one with a program already laid out, i liked the least.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2