Notifications
Clear all

What Type of Srings?

12 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@jeddy61)
Topic starter  

I bought my first guitar about 3 months ago, and the strings are starting to sound like they need changing. The guitar I bought is this one :

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=141865

I like the sound of the strings that came with it. Is there any way to get those same kind of strings or tell what strings came with it? Is there really any noticable difference between the sound of different brands?

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

There is some difference but not enough to worry too much about it. I personally use D'addario mostly unless another brand is at a serious discount. It really doesn't matter that much. Do make sure you use the same thickness or gauge: if you don't you might have to have your guitar setup again to fix action and intonation, plus strings of a different gauge do sound quite different.

Oh, I see this is your first post here, so let me be the first to welcome you! :D

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Indeed, welcome!

You could always take it with you to the shop and ask the staff the same thing. They should be able to get you close, if not exact, replacements.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I just put on D'addario 11"s (light gauge)
not expensive, sound great.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member

I second the motion for D'addario light gauge strings on your acoustic. They sound good and stay in tune very well. Usually priced around $10 a set in Canadian dollars.

I was in the US a while ago and bought some “Washburn” strings for $5 US. I shouda known better. They don't stay in tune worth a darn and it took me a couple of weeks to get used to the sound. But, when it comes time to restring I will use the D'addarios and my guitar will sound good again!

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

This is probably the Most Frequently Asked Question around here. As always, you ask 20 different people, you get 30 different answers.

It's probably best to stick to one of the better known brands in your early days. D'Addario are good, Fender make strings, Ernie Ball seem to come well recommended, Rotosound are very popular (especially amongst us Brits) and well priced, and you've already heard about Washburn.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Just another thing to think about.
You said you liked the strings that came from the factory.
It's a $60 guitar (not that there is anything wrong with that - I have a very similar guitar).
I'll bet the strings that came on it don't retail for $20-30

The important thing is to get the same gague of string. If you don't know what gague is currently on it (and a new player wouldn't be expected to know) then take the guitar, or the old strings, with you to the store.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@jmaikos)
Eminent Member

Just on a side note, depending on how often you play, I would suggest changing the strings more often than every 3 months. Personally, I try to change them every 2 weeks (I play at least 30 minutes a day - usually more). You wouldn't believe the difference in sound after I change them. Believe it or not, little things like that help to keep yourself motivated. It's fairly simple to change the strings and you'll get better and quicker at it the more you change them.

I would bring the strings to the guitar store if you want the same brand/gauge. I think it's difficult for a new guitar player (even intermediate) to know the difference b/w string brands and gauge.

I prefer a medium gauge (13s, I think) for my acoustic strings (d'addario). It gives such a full sound. I think the lighter gauges are easier on your fingers (but like everything else, you get used to a heavy gauge). Just remember, if you do decide to move to a different gauge, you will probably need to set your guitar up. You might run into tuning problems up/down the neck if you don't.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

I think you'll be happy with the d'addarrio strings. But make do like everyone else said and make sure you have the right gauge unless you want to get it setup again.

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

I'll go on record for WebStrings once more. Great strings, incredible price. I just ordered another batch not 5 minutes ago, in fact. 5 sets of 10s for electric for 15 bucks, delivered. Can't beat it!

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

This might seem like a stupid question, but I mean this is your first guitar and first set of strings... How do you know you like your strings?

With not having heard any other types of strings, there's not much to compare them to.

By all means get a set of the ones you currently have on there, but sometime soon you should think about trying out or atleast playing different types of strings. I went through the same thing with picks. I started off with three different picks and found a favorite. I thought this was great so bought it again. But then I tried out more picks and found that I kept finding better and better picks. :D

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

just a couple more things.
search this site to learn how to restring yourself.it is a simple but important step in owning a guitar.
and once you have new strings on they will stretch for a time. so retune after playing.

finally, you will be amazed at how fantastic new strings can sound. some say they will sound bright.
too bright, but after a short bit they will settle in and sound just great.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote