30 Posts
25 Users
0 Likes
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

we all look for easy songs to play, whats the easiest one you have come across

may be something you could learn in a day

I would think Eric Claptons - Wonderful Tonight was pretty easy if you were to just strum open chords

what songs can you suggest for us to try

try to help me out here cuz some songs are just of of my league

(@alangreen)

Time Of Your Life- Greenday - an absolute doozy. I use it to teach working out songs from the record.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@tamuka)
Eminent Member

There's literally hundreds of two chord reggae songs that one could sing and play the first day they ever tough a guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@progressions)
Reputable Member

Wild Thing/Louie Louie!

Jeff

Isaac Priestley: World Racketeering Squad
http://www.progressions.org/
http://www.youtube.com/worldracketeer

ReplyQuote
(@drunkrock)
Estimable Member

Walk The Line by Johnny Cash. Once you're past the opening riff it's clear sailing!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Eleanor Rigby is super easy, just Em and C chords. Although to really get the voicing right you have to play Em7, Em6, C, Em on the "all the lonely people, where do they all come from" part. But that's easy too, just adding a note on the B string to the Em chord. Don't get much simpler than this song.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

A friend lent me a teach yourself CD which had this arrangement of Amazing Grace on it:

Chords A D and E. Three beats per bar. Sixteen bars as follows:

a-| (A) ma-zing| (A) Grace, how| (D) sweet the| (A) sound that

| (A) saved a|(A) wretch like|(E) me.....|(E) ....I

| (A) once was |(A) lost but | (D) now I'm |(A) found, was

| (A) blind but |(E) now I |(A) see.... |(A).....

Not too many that are much easier than that. :)

Although another book had What Shall We Do With the Drunken Sailor that was just Dm and C.

Dm |What shall we do with the |drunken sailor
C |What shall we do with the |drunken sailor
Dm |What shall we do with the |drunken sailor
C | Earl- aye in the
Dm |mor - ning

Rinse and repeat through various verses.

Pretty simple chords to learn, so it can be used for first experiments with strumming patterns. Perhaps start with just two downstrokes per bar, and then experiment with ways of jazzing the strum up to get the right 'rollicking' feel. Also good for early attempts at singing. :wink:

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

of course easy is a relative concept because it depends on your abilities. I found out that to decently play even the easiest song around you have to master a few rhythms and a few chords. Anyway i would say that "Horse with no name" is probably the easiest song around because:

a) it is made of only two super-easy chords;
b) it is medium-paced speed
c) chords change each measure

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

of course easy is a relative concept because it depends on your abilities. I found out that to decently play even the easiest song around you have to master a few rhythms and a few chords.

That's a very good point. It's more than just the chords :)

When I first started I could play a few simple chords, but was frustrated that my efforts sounded nothing like the song, even though I was getting the chords cleanly and in the right order.

It took me a while to realise that the 'song' I was remembering was in fact usually a melody line that had been carried by a voice - or sometimes a lead instrument. Rarely was it the chords played by the rhythm guitar.

I noticed that for the first songs in my books they often just gave a single downstrum on the first beat of each bar - nothing else! And if you can sing too, that can be enough. But of course it doesn't sound like much on its own. :?

It can take a pretty good right hand to really put some life into a song when you're only playing chords.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

OK I can't play for crap ...

I can stumble my way through one song

Bobbie Darins' " Dream Lover "

G //// Em////G////Em////C////

It has a little G chord run in it but it isn't very hard { hey I can do it }

Then G////A////D////G////

Very basic but I still stumble ...

Kiss An Angel - Charlie Pride

G ////C///D7

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

of course easy is a relative concept because it depends on your abilities. I found out that to decently play even the easiest song around you have to master a few rhythms and a few chords.

It took me a while to realise that the 'song' I was remembering was in fact usually a melody line that had been carried by a voice - or sometimes a lead instrument. Rarely was it the chords played by the rhythm guitar.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris that's excatly the same that happened to me for at least one year, until I decided to learn to play a few strummin patterns: all of sudden most of the songs I was playing, even if not 100% identical to the orignal ones, at least had a musical sense

By the way it's nice to see you post here again after some months of absence

Welcome Back Chris cheers

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris that's excatly the same that happened to me for at least one year, until I decided to learn to play a few strummin patterns: all of sudden most of the songs I was playing, even if not 100% identical to the orignal ones, at least had a musical sense

Matteo
I think that is exactly what im going through to sometimes the song does'nt sound at all what i think they should

but hay that could be me

Thanks for all these songs lads im going to try them all, have a few sorted so far

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

Hi mate

if anybody is interested and give me your e-mail address I can send you a list of songs with a suggested strumming pattern, may be it could be helpful to start learning a few songs

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

Wild Thing

Jeff

Same here! Wild Thing by the Troggs.

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member
Topic starter