Skip to content
What's wrong (with ...

Notifications
Clear all

What's wrong (with me)? Losing interest?

70 Posts
26 Users
0 Likes
13 K Views
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I guess I just need a little encouragement to know that I'm actually on the right track. When you are learning by yourself it's hard to gauge your own progress and be subjective.

It's very easy to know if you're on the right track. If you;re having fun you're on the right track. If you feel you're going somewhere you're on the right track. If you don't you aint. If you're on the wrong track you should change, any track is better then the wrong track, and if the new track ain't quite it atleast you've been moving twoards one of the many, many right tracks. if you don't get something write a song about how much you're not getting it.

Life's simple.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over . . . if you just sit there.
- Will Rogers

(no relation (that I know of))
KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well for now at least, I've packed away the guitars and all the accessories. The guitars are in their cases in a closet, and I will most likely pack my books in a box and store them.

I think I know why I've lost interest. It's the living arrangements at my house. This house is very small, only two bedrooms, and we have more people here than should be. I won't go into the reasons for that, but it is what it is.

I find that I have no place where I can be alone to practice. Not even with headphones plugged into the amp or a portable Pocket-Rockit. Someone is always somewhere... living room, dining room, bedrooms... studying, sleeping. Books, backpacks, clothes piles everywhere. Everyone comes before me in what they do. And I'll be drawn and quartered if I'm going to play in the garage in 19* weather.

So for now I'll be lying low. If and when this situation is resolved and I relight the fire to play, I will.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

All the best, Frank, and hope to see you soon.
My fearless prediction is you'll be back at it in no time.
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Hiya, Minotaur Dude...

Yeah, yer own space is essential. Still, there's that space in yer head...but living like The Young Ones will take it's toll and soon yer off to the Loony Bin! Still (I think Ignar pointed this out) at the very least you can write about it!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

At the risk of sounding like a petulant child having thrown a temper tantrum, I've rethought this self-exile from this great brotherhood. Yes, the boys came out of their cases and are proudly standing up tall again. In fact I think I'm going to play and practice with the 12 string and the 6 string acoustics. Not much, just enough to whet my appetite again and realize I can do it. There was a bit of a "Come to papa and let's talk" talk this afternoon. The clonazepam (Klonopin) I popped into me certainly didn't hurt. I may or may not have ever mentioned it, as I'm loathe to get too personal, but I am bipolar type II. I tend more towards depression than hypermania. So, there's a piece of the puzzle. I do apologize for the bit of drama this whole thread has raised. More important than all that, I think, is to realize that I have functioning arms and hands, and the intelligence to do this. There are probably so many disadvantaged people who would give all they have to be able to do what I am whining about. :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Hey Mino, glad to hear they are out of their cases. Don't put any pressure on yourself. Just relax and do as you please.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well I don't know what happened tonight, but I had a good run. I tuned up the 12 string... an out of tune 12 string sounds like cats fighting, no? ... and said what the heck. Opened iTunes and decided to do Sundown. From start to finish, a couple of times... and singing with the recording while playing. Oh there was an "oops!" or two, but I went through 3 or 4 times. I did Proud Mary 2 or 3 times through, singing a little bit with the recording. Of course, a 12 string covers a multitude of sins. :lol: I tried playing alone and singing, but no can do yet. So what the heck is going on!? Well whatever it is, I like it. Nah, I know what it is... you guys sending vibes and encouragement. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member

I think you've made the right decision, and I'm glad it's working for you now.

You've inspired me. (Mostly, you've inspired me to buy a 12-string, but I'll try to repress that one for now. :o )

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

but I'll try to repress that one for now. :o )

'Twon't be easy. :twisted:

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Arjen,

That assumes you know right from wrong...hmm I guess that method won't work for me I still haven't figured that out! :shock:

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Three weeks since that last time I played. :oops:

Wow, what a horrible feeling, looking back from tonight. Looking at the guitars and having them look back at me. I absolutely refused to pick them up, and I didn't miss it.

Until tonight. Boy did I miss them. I thought I'd just do 15-30 mins. to fidoodle around. Nope, I think it was more like two hours of playing. And I do mean playing. Oh, the same stuff I've been working on... Imagine, Sundown, Night Moves, Heart of Gold and of course Werewolves of London (with a little more fluidity and flair than I remember doing last time :wink: ). But this was all closer to PLAYING, and not practicing. Oh sure there's an oops here and there (who doesn't?) but it won't be long before those oopses are pretty much a thing of the past. OK, so I can work on these to "fine tune" them, but now I think it's time to add a new song or three to start on.

I've picked up another inspirational phrase, and I feel ashamed when I don't give my all:

Ή ταν ή επί τας I tan i epi tas, lit. "Either this, or on this": Come back with your shield, or on it. Traditional Spartan farewell before going to battle: victory or death; never surrender, never flee.

I'm keeping my shield (I know, I'm such a cornball as my stepson says :lol: ).

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I've picked up the guitar probably 3 times in the past 2 months. It happens.

I'm happier when I'm playing, but maybe that's just because when I'm happy I play.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

As silly as this sounds, I thought that I'd forget some things. Turns out I did better than when I was overthinking it before. Humans can be so weird. :roll:

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I've picked up the guitar probably 3 times in the past 2 months.
Dude, . . . . like . . . that is so . . . slack. :(

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 5