Skip to content
What's wrong (with ...

Notifications
Clear all

What's wrong (with me)? Losing interest?

70 Posts
26 Users
0 Likes
13 K Views
(@corbind)
Noble Member

He's hibernating!? :twisted:

I'm hoping it's just a seasonal slump. I think maybe I should also try some new stuff in my collection and from David's lessons.

I believe most guitar players take time off. I've taken almost a year off and just play when I can.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@tsoltrs)

It honestly happens to everyone man. Just put the guitar down for a while. You just need to get out of the cycle that you HAVE to play your guitar. Eventually you'll get to the stage where you just want to play your guitar for the sake of playing. That's where your creative side comes out and that's when you're hooked for life.

Perhaps you just start performing live as well. That always creates an added incentive to play.

Forget music school! Learn guitar on video!
http://tsoltrs.guitarhot.hop.clickbank.net/

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well, I am happy to report that as of this week I have been burning up the fretboard again! :D A layoff and total disinterest for a good 3-4 weeks seems to have worked wonders.

For example, I dearly want to learn to play My Sweet Lord:
Intro:

Em A (x4)

D Bm (x2)

D D7 Em

A Em
My sweet lord
A Em
Hm, my lord
A Em
Hm, my lord

A D
I really want to see you
Bm D
Really want to be with you
Bm D
Really want to see you lord
D D7 Em
But it takes so long, my lord

D
I really want to see you
D7
Really want to see you
B7
Really want to see you, lord
E
Really want to see you, lord
G#dim C#7 F#m B
But it takes so long, my lord (hallelujah)

F#m B
My sweet lord (hallelujah)
F#m B
Hm, my lord (hallelujah)
F#m B
My, my, my lord (hallelujah)

E C#m
I really want to know you (hallelujah)
E C#m
Really want to go with you (hallelujah)
E
Really want to show you lord (aaah)
G#dim C#7 F#m B
That it won't take long, my lord (hallelujah)

This was the best version I could find that sounds good with the recording. I can play the intro, but when I get to the
G#dim C#7 F#m B
But it takes so long, my lord (hallelujah)

section it falls apart on me. Only because I am not comfortable with those chords yet. Now, I had put the song away for the longest time saying "Oh what's the use! I'll never get this!" Well, as it turns out, I really only need to learn how to switch efficiently. I can very easily make the chords when I take my time, and think about it. There's those neural pathways again: "practice makes perfect". So I've been perfecting the intro strumming pattern and timing, and quite honestly it sounds pretty good along with the recording. Until I get to those "funky" chords. Then I stop and try them one at a time.

The upshot is that when going back to it, I realized "Um... dummy, it's only 5 chords. It's not a one-man military operation to liberate Tibet".

I'm overly pleased with myself that I can play Sundown allll the way through with the recording, on the 12 string. :D

Night Moves is getting there (that darn F maj! :evil: ).

Well, not to give a litany of the songs I can do, though it's a short list, I feel rejuvenated!

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@bkangel)
Estimable Member

I've been struggling, so reading your post has made me feel a little bit better.

I had to give up my lessons at the beginning of the year (I prefer to think of it as just a sabbatical until work improves), and I don't have any friends that play, so I've never jammed with anyone (and I have to be honest, I'm crap, so I'd be really, really hesitant to play with anyone if they DID offer).

So... my thought was to start recording myself and posting up on MySpace so I have some way of gauging my progress, and maybe getting some feedback from interstate/OS friends.

Does this sound too over the top? :oops:

What I lack in talent and natural ability, I will have to make up with stubborness.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I've never jammed with anyone (and I have to be honest, I'm crap, so I'd be really, really hesitant to play with anyone if they DID offer).

Oh my. You are NOT CRAP! You play the guitar just as we all have. We've struggled and got pissed because we could not get chords sounding right or played leads like a fretting turtle.

I've been at this 7 years now. Do you think I'm "magical?" I have all the guitar power in the world and I'm not "crap?" Did I not think I sucked in my first few months, or even first few years? Yep, I thought I was horrible. I compared myself with others whom I'd played with and thought "I should NEVER play again. Those guys are so good. How could I be this bad."

Well, I'm here to tell you (and DO NOT take this lighly) we all think we suck early on. And, when in a crowd of advanced players, we think the same. Even when we've been at it for years.

So, what is my message? Take solace in that you are playing a wonderful instrument. You get better every month, year, and decade. Does it help you minimize you think your playing is junk? No. But please, please understand what I'm saying. Read this post twice. Let it get to your head.

After I had been playing just 4 months, I send an email to David Hodge with my "woes" about my playing. He graciously told me something similar to what I'm telling you.

Further, just think how many people who dont' play guitar and YOU can! It's not a race. It's a hobby that becomes better with age.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

bkangel, what Corbind said.

Besides, many players find it refreshing to have someone bash out a few chords so that they can work on their leads. My brother in law is way too far away from me, but I learn something each time we play. The trade off? He gets to do all the leads and such.

If you do look for someone, set the expectations up front and there will be no problems.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@bkangel)
Estimable Member

Thanks for the encouragement. Didn't mean to hijack the post :lol:

After I wrote, earlier, I came across the Beginner's Videos post, which I've just started going through. This is fantastic! [And quite possibly what I need to get motivated again! :mrgreen: ]

What I lack in talent and natural ability, I will have to make up with stubborness.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Once upon a time, even Clapton sucked.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've been struggling, so reading your post has made me feel a little bit better.

We all do, hence this whole thread. I'm still struggling. But I'm not going to fall into the trap I did before, because I know I can break through the walls. There IS always a way. I made a thread about little epiphanies coming too. Check it out.
I don't have any friends that play, so I've never jammed with anyone ...

I don't either, and that probably bothers me more than anything else. This is why if and when my financial position improves I want to go back to lessons. But I want a teacher who is a coach and a jam partner. I want someone experienced to play with as well as learn from. Even having friends or relatives to play and jam with doesn't necessarily mean it will work. Sometimes personalities don't mesh. But I'd like the chance to find out. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the encouragement. Didn't mean to hijack the post :lol:

You didn't. Even though I started the thread, it's not all about me. :wink:

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

After I wrote, earlier, I came across the Beginner's Videos post, which I've just started going through. This is fantastic! [And quite possibly what I need to get motivated again! :mrgreen: ]
As you probably know I am one of the beginners in that thread (although I never posted a video, I'll do very soon). Start to record yourself, it is a great help. A member gave me that advice some time ago and it is a great advice.

And when you want, share your recordings with us! :D

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Well I've read this post over several times before I thought about posting something but several things that have happened over the past several days have made me think about my own playing frustrations. In retrospect I think the frustration comes from not being able to play something as you would like but I think it goes deeper than that I think in some cases it's the fact that we don't even really understand how to get from Point A to Point B and that's the scary, frustrating part.

It's always a double edged sword with playing an instrument, you will always be motivated by the progress you have made, even if it's small and humbled by the journey that's still left.

The past few days have put me into a little bit of a guitar funk a little bummed out about my lack of skills. I know the past two years with my teacher has taken me 5x farther than the previous 2-3 and I'm happy about that but frustrated in all the things I still suck at.

My current list of things I suck at:

1.) I feel I'm a bit too dependant on my teacher. For the most part he will tab out a song for me either rhythm/lead or both (usually both) and I will go on my merry way and learn it usually only going over it with him if I have a question or run into a difficult part. Now this has been fantastic in that I have learned about a 100 songs and yes I can definetely play alot more songs and much better but I still don't feel like a musician more like just a regurgitator.

2.) Still not very good at improv-ing solo's and have a hard time trying to solo using the major scale...not sure why but I never seem to find the right notes.

3.) Not good at just starting a jam, never do much of it but I never know where to start and where to go with it. Something I should be able to do.

4.) And the problem of the moment, I decided to try and learn Seek and Destroy by Metallica and everything was good until you get about half way through and the tempo speeds up to like double time, I can't play that rhythm part that James plays at that speed. Now in my defense I haven't spend more than a few minutes on that part but I already know that's going to take me awhile to loearn that. The added incentive is that this is the kind of music that the wife likes and she can rip this stuff up and she plays the lead and I can't have her better than me..it would be so un-manly.

On the positive side though I can for the most part learn at least the rhythm and some easier solo's in like a day now where in the past it would take weeks just to get the rhythm down and remember the progressions.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

In retrospect I think the frustration comes from not being able to play something as you would like but I think it goes deeper than that I think in some cases it's the fact that we don't even really understand how to get from Point A to Point B and that's the scary, frustrating part.

Good post...

Everyone gets plagued like this all too often. But you hit the nail on the head with the getting from A to B thing. What you end up playing has to start somewhere and head somewhere else...or you are just "practicing". That gets boring real quick.

Often times I'll play something raucous and rocky on an acoustic...and vice-versa. Most often the ambiguity is interesting enough to pique my curiousity (AKA: cat) and I fall into "the moment". If I get there, I'm okay...

Meow

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

hi bkangel

don't forget that learning guitar is a long trip and full of frustration! i've been teaching myself guitar for 3 years and and a half or so and if i judge myself honestly i should be quite satisfied by my progresses. In the last year or so i finally learnt to play real hard rock and metal tunes and i can play quite well toghether with other people in a band. That's a lot, remembering that a year ago i was only able to play songs a la Proud Mary or Fortunate son! Which is still a lot if you think how many people never learn to play a full song from start to finish, let alone to be able to play it with otehr people. Still i feel frustrated because even if i can play with my band Motorehad classics like Bomber, iron fist, Ace of spades, or Judas piest's Living after midnight, i'd love to be able play Iron maiden tunes which are a lot more complex. I can play only easier Maiden songs or part of them but there are a lot of things that are still out of my reach:

i.e. i can confortably play galloping rhythms until 140 while Maiden often play them at 180 (that's why i cannot play Run to the hills verse along the record)
i have to better a lot with palm muting accents
i have to learn more complex rhythms (i.e. Number of the beast) and to deal with time changes during the song (quite often with Maiden)
i have to do a lot work to learn single notes riffs and to alternate them with chords

All the above just to say that frustration is part of the learning process and will never disappear, so keep on the good job and you'll see that you have results, it only needs time and perseverance.
cheers

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Everyone sucks, at first. That's a given

Then - you learn a simple song. Something like "Brown Eyed Girl" or "Stand By Me" - G, Em, C and D - or D7. And you think to yourself, hey, I CAN do this!

Then you move on to something harder - maybe a favourite song. It might have a couple of chords in that you don't know - so you look 'em up. Maybe "Something" by The Beatles - that was a major turning point for me. I AM NOT AFRAID OF THAT WEIRD CHORD THAT COMES BETWEEN Am and Am7....I'll try it. I did, and got it.

Small steps - that's the key. You learn something new, you practise till it's second nature. When I was a raw beginner, I quickly realised it'd be a hell of a lot easier to play guitar if I utilised the whole fretboard - so I spent ages working out how to play chords in different places on the neck. Barre chords? Most beginner's gripes seem to be about how hard it is to play them....but there are certain chords (Eb, Db, C#m etc....) that just don't come easy, as Ringo once said, as open chords. I still find it harder to play an Eb chord as xx1343 - like it's tabbed in the Complete Beatles Songbook - than by moving my index finger up to the sixth fret, putting a barre across, and laying my ring finger across the D G and B strings. two fingers instead of four....there's always an easier way. So what if all the notes don't ring out? Keep practising, they will in time.

Believe me, it'll all get easier with time and practise - I've been here about five years now, when I joined I knew half-a-dozen chords. Now I play rhythm, lead and bass guitars - even throw in a little keyboard music now and then. Nothing fancy yet, I know my limitations....but I do know, from being a member of this site for the last five years or so, there are NO limitations. None whatsoever. What you put into learning guitar WILL inspire you to reach for more knowledge - and the more you learn, the more you'll WANT to learn.

You want to play guitar? Pick it up, learn three chords - maybe E A and B. A D and E might be easier - but once you've got those three simple chords (OK, they're not simple at first - but they WILL be, with practise.) you've got access to hundreds of songs. Blues, rock, country.....A D and E will get you a long way.

learn another chord next week - maybe F#m. to go with A D and E. Now you've got THOUSANDS of songs, not just hundreds - and every single new chord you learn will open up even more possibilities.

Now learn a scale...

You see where I'm going with this?

Small steps, just fill in one piece of the jigsaw at a time - and you'll have a lifetime of learning to look forward to, but more importantly, you'll have a lifetime of pleasure to look forward to. It can only ever get better!

I hope you have as much fun as I've had over the last five years or so - every new chord I've learned, every new riff I've learned, every new song I've learned, every new song I've written....all of them have added to my enjoyment, not only of playing guitar, but of enjoying life.

That's my take on it, anyway!

:D :D :D

Vic

(And remember - ALWAYS remember - once you've played a tricky chord, or riff, once - you know it's do-able. You CAN play it again, Sam!)

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5