When buying a new guitar...

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 Kr1s
(@kr1s)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

What things do I need to look out for? Should I ask for the guitar to be set up? and how so? I have never bought a brand new guitar so anything i need to look out for or ask that anyone can tell me will be appreciated.

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

You didn't mention whether you are interested in an acoustic or electric guitar.

I think one thing to consider is the type of music, or the type of music your favorite artist uses. If you love the tone of Angus Young, look into a Gibson SG. If you love Hendrix, look at Strats. That is a starting point.

But the main thing is to play a few guitars until you find one that really turns you on. It really doesn't matter what brand it is. If a guitar just sounds great to you, and feels like butter in your hands, that is a guitar to consider.

Also, play an electric unplugged for awhile. A great sounding electric will sound good unplugged. If a guitar sounds bad unplugged, it will probably not sound good amplified as well. So, that is an important test for electrics.

Don't worry if a guitar is not properly set up, you can have them set it up after purchase.

I do look at the guitar carefully. I will play each fret up each string to listen for fret buzz. I play with the controls and tuners, I like them to feel firm. Listen for scratchy tone and volume pots. You want a guitar that was built well. And the price is not always the factor here. I have bought guitars for $200 that were made every bit as well as guitars costing 5 times that much. But each guitar is different, so spend some time checking out the quality.

Play an electric through a good amp. Change the pickups and turn the tone controls. Listen carefully and see if you enjoy the tone of the guitar.

So, good tone, playability and quality are important. But you have to like the way the guitar looks too. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@welshman)
Estimable Member

Wes makes sense - my first ever guitar was bought for me by my parents who's musical taste were shall we say a tad limited (Micky and Griff and a number of other rather awful country singers that somehow had ben offered recording contracts!!). As a result I was forced to hold a monstrosity of a machine that I never took to and as a result went 20 years without playing. Then I picked up another acoustic in my early 30s and while I managed to work through some problems it was still uncomfortable and needless to say I put it down again.

A further 10 years went by and it wasn't until my 40s that I finally found a decent guitar and as a rsult I was hooked. I've updated my equipment quite a bit since then but the fact remains that once you hold and play the guitar you are happiest - that's the one you should buy.

Enjoy the experience and let us know what you bought.

D

What did the guitarist do when he was told to turn on his amp?
He caressed it softly and told it that he loved it.

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

2 words: playability and sound. Yes have them set it up after you buy it, but first play it for a while and see what needs to be done.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Don't listen to an electric through any effects. You want to hear a guitar that has a tone you love when amplified clean.

Try to get the music store guys to let you play in a quiet room . . . really pay attention to what your ear is telling you.

Run through scales, chords, etc., don't jump to riffs. Your trying to make a new friend, so you need to ask the basic questions first . . .

Once you find a couple that you like the sound of, and that feels good, and that looks good, sit with them all plugged in (if possible) and now start playing your favorite riffs. Which of these new acquaintances really is into the same things you are into? Which one has the same goals? Which one is just the right fit for what you want to do?

Now you can toss in effects an riffs and really let loose . .. and pretty soon you'll find that there's one guitar out there, somewhere, that you just have to have with you . . . and that's the one.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 Kr1s
(@kr1s)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks a lot guys some err sound advice there :D. I have kinda got my heart set on a PRS SE Singlecut, I have fiddles around with pickups and played it clean and I have to say loving the tone. It seems to be the best guitar for me right now. Though I am still unsure where people have said get the guitar setup once i have purchased it! Why would anyone do this after purchase and what do I ask them to set up?

Thanks again

ReplyQuote
(@voidious)
Estimable Member

Well, the setup will just make sure everything adjustable on the guitar is adjusted right - that's not always the case straight from the factory, though you might not notice it (especially us newbies). Doing it beforehand on every guitar you try would be a bit more time than the store employees have, I reckon. ;) You shouldn't have to ask them to do anything specific, I don't think, they should know what to do.

Just got myself a PRS Santana SE about a month ago, I love it. Best of luck.

-- Voidious

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Though I am still unsure where people have said get the guitar setup once i have purchased it! Why would anyone do this after purchase and what do I ask them to set up?

Most guitars are pretty close to a proper set-up right out of the box, I am sure a PRS will be set up fine. Cheaper guitars are often not set up as well.

The reason you wait till after purchase is that very few stores would be willing to take the time to set up a guitar you might purchase. You might try 10 other guitars and ask them to set them all up. :roll:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Kr1s
(@kr1s)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Oh I see, thanks everyone :D

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If I'm buying a new guitar, I always ask to try it with an amp the same as I have at home - I'll be getting a Cube 30W amp soon, and a new guitar, so I'll ask to play the guitar through a cube amp in the shop. That way I'll know exactly what it'll sound like when I get it home.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

The reason you wait till after purchase is that very few stores would be willing to take the time to set up a guitar you might purchase. You might try 10 other guitars and ask them to set them all up. :roll:

Depends on the store and how often you shop there. In the store where I usually shop (<plug>Richmond Music in Richmond, VA</plug>), they've never hesitated to do a quick intonation / action adjustment *right then* if I point out that something seems grossly wrong. That's not a regular thing, though.

I'm in there often enough that I'm recognized on sight,and they can tell if I'm there for strings or ready to spend a bit of dough.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote