Clear all

When Do I Play Chords?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@the-sammy-brew-band)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Let me try and make this question as easy as posible. when reading music (Sheet music format) I cant understand when to play chords. let me put up an example.

E5 <-(Chord)

____|___|______|__________|________
#_4_|__o|_____o|_________o|________
__4_|:____________________________
____|_____________________________
____|_____________________________

^
|
(Measure with notes)

Do I play the chord and the notes? Or can do u play either one. or what i dont get it. I know how to strum chords i just dont know when to. It shows the little chord thing at the top of the measure on some measures but i dont know what to do with that. I was thinking u playd the chord at the top at the rythem of the notes but the book i am reading shows diffrent symbols when it teaches new chords.

Ive just been playing the notes. But i think im doing something wrong so id like to know when to play the chord or i to.

Could some1 just teach me about them?

ty

Words be simple, Words be quick, Words resemble walking sticks, Plant them, They will grow, Watch them waver so, I'll always be a word man better than a bird man, I can fly high but I stay in the same sky, For only I Know whats beyond.

(@the-sammy-brew-band)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Just for the record...thats suppost to be the main riff in the intro to rock u like a huricaine :?

Words be simple, Words be quick, Words resemble walking sticks, Plant them, They will grow, Watch them waver so, I'll always be a word man better than a bird man, I can fly high but I stay in the same sky, For only I Know whats beyond.

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

You play the tab (notes) as written. Usually the chord symbol is just there to tell you the name of the chord that you are playing in the tab anyway - or else the chord that's being played by other instruments if it's in a band arrangement.

You could also choose to ignore the tab and strum according to the chord symbols to play a rhythm track instead.

ReplyQuote