Clear all

When to replace frets?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have a 30 year old Fender F-55-12 that plays and sounds great (at least to me it does).

The lower frets look worn with slight grooves and indentations. How do I know if and when to change frets?

I'm using D'addario EJ41's, x-lights and tune to A-440, BTW.

Dennis

(@guybrush)

You answer the question in your first sentence. If it plays and sounds great to you there is no need to replace anything.

ReplyQuote
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

You answer the question in your first sentence. If it plays and sounds great to you there is no need to replace anything.

That's what I figured, but I wanted to know what the effects of badly worn frets are. It is is bad intonation, buzz, or....?

Dennis

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

usually buzz. Fret height isn't sufficient to effect tuning that you should be able to hear.

If the frets are worn you'll get buzz no matter how you set the action.

You might also experience a low fret that your finger just won't hang on for a note ... it won't buzz, but you just need something more to grip your fingertip on ... but that's a personal call not a technical thing :)

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

And if what was mentioned above occurs, you still might only need to have the frets dressed - leveled, crowned, smoothed. Less expensive and intrusive as replacing the frets.

ReplyQuote