When to start the kids

10 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@banre)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey all,

Lemme give a little background. I am thirty and have been a musician since 7th grade. It was tuba back then. Between college and this past January, I took a break. I picked up a guitar for about a month in between, but nothing serious. In January, I bought an acoustic and have been addicted since.

Now, to the topic. I'm married for the second time. Between her kids from the first time around, and my from the first time around, and ours that was born in March, we have total of 5 kids, from six months to ten years. The oldest few, 7 yr old girl, 8 yr old boy, and 10 yr old girl, have shown an interest in the guitar. I bought a 7/8th size very cheap Rogue for them to beat around on.

I signed up for lessons. I start this coming Monday. I told the kids and they got all excited. They even said, "I want to take lessons!"

So my question is, is it too early? I plan on getting the 10 yr old enrolled in band when she starts Jr High next year, so I tend to think it's not that early. I don't feel comfortable doing the teaching since I am so limited in my experience on theinstrument. If they were asking about tuba, baritone, or trombone, I'd have not a problem :)

If it's not too early, I am thinking they would need a different instrument. That Rogue isn't very good. What should I consider here? Classical with nylon? My regular dreadnaught is just too big for them.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I think they're at the right ages. Your local shop should have some 1/2 (?) to 3/4 size nylon string guitars and electric guitars that work well for young learners. I'd check those out.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

My son is 7 and he has been taking drum lessons for a while now, and seem to be improving. My 12 year old has been taking trumpet lessons and its been more or less a waste of my money.

If you have the money I dont think it hurts anything to start them out and see how it goes. You might want to lay down a few expectation from the beginning such as keeping the grades up and practicing.

At the place I take lessons there are children from about 6 and up playing guitar. The only thing that you might run into is burn out. My girlfriends daughter wanted to play guitar so mother bought her one. She tried it, without any lessons, for a month and because very frustrated. For good reason. That story might actually be incentive to give lessons a shot.

Enough rambling. Sorry. Good luck how ever you choose to handle it.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@scott_r)
Trusted Member

Good question.....glad you asked it.

I'm probably going to be starting my 10 year old daughter on lessons very soon. She has shown a lot of interest, quite a bit of aptitude for playing and learning. My concern is her attention span. It's probably just an age thing, but she tends to go from "thing" to "thing", as far as what she's in to. I hope she can maintain focus on guitar.

So, I guess my advice would be to evaluate that aspect of it with your kids. If you think they have the necessary focus to stick with it, then go for it.

For what it's worth, I bought my daughter a Squier Strat, and, size-wise, it's fine for her. I put some very light gauge strings on it, and she does very well with it.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I don't think it is too early as long as they can hold the guitar. My grandson (my sons son) is 8 this November and he has been playing for 2 years or so. As a matter of fact, he played at my daughters wedding rehearsal dinner last year. We didn't plug him (3/4 Ovation) in but he played along and looked like he knew what he was doing. He didn't know most of the songs so he just strummed along.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@dsparling)
Reputable Member

I agree, it's not too early if they can hold an instrument and are willing to learn...that said, my kids are four (twin girls) and a boy who is five. One of the girls and the boy already have jam sessions with toy guitars, recorders, and a drumset (well, a bunch of chairs and pans). My five-year old is already writing songs, and we've got five or six of them recorded and he plans on making a CD to give out as a Christmas present this year.

That said, I've only given a few "lessons." I'm mostly letting them explore various instruments and playing by ear. The seem more interested in "writing" songs and being creative, so I'll bring in the structured lessons later, which I figure will be when they're around six or seven...

http://www.dougsparling.com/
http://www.300monks.com/store/products.php?cat=59
http://www.myspace.com/dougsparling
https://www.guitarnoise.com/author/dougsparling/

ReplyQuote
(@csmart01)
Estimable Member

My son is 9 and has been playing drums for about 9 months (taking lessons) and he outright rocks. I wish I had 1/8 his talent on guitar :x Lately he's been picking up my guitar and suddenly he wants to also play guitar also... showoff :wink: and he's picking it up no problem... barre chords, plucking out Stairway to Heaven,... My only comment would be go with a normal sized guitar if at all possible. I used his newfound interest as a lame excuse to buy a cheap Squire '51 (I always wanted an electric to hack around on) and he has no problems with the size (and he's by no means a big 9 year old). Why spend the money on a smaller guitar if you don't need to.

Charlie

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I teach elementary school and it all depends on the maturaty of the kids. If you feel that they can be dedicated to practice and the lessons (and you have the right teacher)...then age really doesn't matter...
Physically they can handle it as long as the guitar is the right size for them. I know Squier (and probably other brands) makes smaller guitars for kids. Or you could use a travel guitar since they arfe smaller anyway

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

The best bet IMO is to take them to a guitar store and try them on (just like buying shoes.)
If you can afford it buy something good (it will retain some trade in value when they out grow it ) and be easier to play.

ReplyQuote
(@juletto)
Eminent Member

I have found with my nephew and neice private lessons were a bore and not very motivating but they loved group lessons because they got to socialize as well as learn guitar. when they are older they will probably move onto private lessons. Group lessons are usually a lot cheaper 2 so thats always a bonus. I can't wait till my bub arrives so i can teach him or her how to play.

ReplyQuote