Skip to content
When to switch from...

Notifications
Clear all

When to switch from acoustic to electric guitar?

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@literatea)
Topic starter  

Hey all,

So I'm a beginner to guitar and I've been self-teaching myself how to play for the past 2-3 months on an acoustic. I'm still working on chords and practicing reading tabs and stuff. Eventually, I want to switch to an electric guitar because a lot of the songs I listen to are classic rock--I'm far from being able to play those songs right now, but I want to be able to someday. When is it ideal to switch from the acoustic to electric guitar especially as a beginner?

Also, what kind/brand of electric guitars, amps, and distortion pedals do you guys recommend for a beginner? So far I've got my eyes on the Squier standard Stratocaster set or the Epiphone Les Paul set at guitar center because it doesn't bust my wallet. I'm a little iffy because I do want to invest in something that still sounds decent at least.. Thanks! :D

(@alangreen)

There's no reason why you can't start with electric from day one.

Squier (part of Fender) and Epiphone (owned by Gibson) both make excellent guitars, their Chinese assembly plants mean you can get either quite inexpensively.

Amps - anything by Marshall will give you that classic rock sound and, again, you can get them without busting the bank. Line 6 make excellent modelling amps if you want to sound like lots of other people.

Pedals - Boss make the best, but you can buy guitars for less money. I have Danelectro pedals in my electric guitar front line (bought off Ebay for low cost)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@literatea)
Topic starter  

Great, thanks for your input Alan!

ReplyQuote
(@cloudyifr)

A Fender Mustang amp and the accompanying free software will give you about any pedal made!
I'd guess not 100% as true sound as the real pedal but good enough for me in my bedroom.

Curtis

ReplyQuote
(@kjtheguitarist)

The same opinion here.
I can start to play an electric guitar whenever you want to.

Click here to listen to my music

ReplyQuote
(@randy-johnson)

I agree there is no need to wait to play electric. I started on one. Each type of guitar has their own purpose. If you plan to play classic rock I would not be thinking "is he ready" I would be thinking "he needs to but an electric".

ReplyQuote
 cdub
(@cdub)
Eminent Member

There is certainly no time table on switching. The amp modeling technology has come a long way in the last few years. If you are looking to just play at home you may want to consider something you run through your computer. I use Line 6s Guitar Port quite often when practicing at home. It sounds pretty good & it was really cheap. Live I use the Fractal Axe Fx II which is absolutely amazing, however it is quite expensive. If you definitely want an amp you can't go wrong with a Marshall. Peavey is pretty decent as well & will be easier on the wallet than the Marshall. Best of luck to you.

https://www.youtube.com/user/zenabiJEM

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

If you are listening to electric guitar songs, I'd say the time to switch is now.

I started on Electrics, and it took me years before I picked up an acoustic. I hardly play it because the music I want to play requires an electric.

There is no right or wrong choice in this department. There is more than one right way to make music.

I would also advise you to take some lessons and learn music theory while you are at it. Both seem like they are taking the long way to get to where you want to go, but in reality, they are short-cuts and will get you there much sooner.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@gilbertog)

Couple of years ago, when my son was still in the middle school, he told me that he wanted to start learning to play the guitar. But he didn't know which one should he begin with: acoustic or electric. But he liked the sound of my electric guitars more. So, I gave one of my electric guitars and basic tutorials to begin with. Couple of years have passed since that and he plays better than me :D

So, you can begin from an electric guitar from day one.

And also, if you want to switch from acoustic to electric, don't think and plan too much. Do it now, you won't lose anything ;)

"What we call 'mastery' can be defined as that mysterious process through which what is at first difficult or even impossible becomes easy and pleasurable through diligent, patient, long-term practice.” ― George Leonard

ReplyQuote
(@factorx)
Eminent Member

I will just say what ever you play keep playing. I don't disagree with the posts above but I've seen many times students get cheap electric and cheap amp and at first are very happy but after while get discouraged that they don't sound like that bands they play and just give up playing.

Everyone is different so there's nothing in stone here. But I find starting on an acoustic first a good thing. The sounds are warm and pleasing to the ears. There's no thinking involved in the sound other then tuning guitar. Builds strength in the fingers.

Electric guitars are easier to play. You don't nearly need the strength in the fingers to get a clean note and a lot lighter on picking the strings to get sound but trying to get your favorite band sounds are a skill in itself. Trying to be encourage to play when your amp puts off annoy tone can become a let down. Sounds can be more forgiving on an acoustic.

If your not discouraged by what you choose to play then there is no wrong or right. After your hooked there will be no putting it down anyway

ReplyQuote