Notifications
Clear all

When to upgrade gear?

21 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

2 Gibson Les Pauls, 2 Epiphone Les Pauls, 3 Agile AL's (2000, 2500 & 3000) all regular neck profiles. They all feel about the same to me so IMO the Agile necks are the same thickness as Gibson and Epiphone Les Paul necks.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@skarecrow)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the input TR.

I think Agile does offer a thin-neck option, but not in the finish I want (Tribal Green). I may have to look elsewhere, either that or spend some more time with the les pauls and see if the thick neck is not as bothersome after I've played it a bit. Everything else about the les pauls I played felt spot-on. Except maybe the weight. They felt lighter than I thought they'd be, especially for the thickness. I think I might have read somewhere that they have channels dug into them under the maple top to relieve weight, but even so the reviews I've read say that they're still heavy. Maybe it's just my perception.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Some are chambered but it's not the norm. I think it is that they are fairly compact and balanced that they don't feel that bad. They can be different too. My Honeyburst Epiphone is by far the heaviest one I own. Every piece of wood is different. The neck is an issue though if you don't like it. I started with a Les Paul copy and have owned a Gibson Les Paul for 29 years so it is what I favor. I do have other guitars though and my thinnest neck is on my Jackson Stealth. It is a sliver. Conversly I have an Ibanez but it is in the Artist series and it's neck is almost Les Paulish.

PS I love the tribal green :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@cwabbott68)

I own an Agile AL-3000 and love it. I started on a mim strat but found the thin neck would give me cramps in my hand if I played too long. I then swapped a drum for a mim tele and loved it, played it more than anything until I came across the Agile on craigslist. The guy wanted a mim strat. We met, tried out each other's guitar that we no longer wanted and made the swap. I love the neck on the Agile it is beefier than the thin profile of the strat and a little different than the profile of the tele as well. Most importantly I no longer get my cramps from noodling around for hours. I have smaller hands but prefer a bigger neck. Its all what "feels" best to you.

ReplyQuote
(@skarecrow)
Topic starter  

Thanks again for all the advice guys. After a trip to the guitar center across the way from sam ash, playing a dozen or so guitars there, and a visit to the agile forums for some comparisons between the agile neck and gibson necks, I think I'm comfortable ordering the agile al-3100, and I've got the go-ahead from the wife to order it as an early anniversary present later this week (once payday hits).

Having spent a few hours playing other guitars, fumbling around on them and trying to pretend I knew what I was doing, I now fully admit that I am not worthy of the AL-3100 (hell I'm not worthy of my GRX20), but I intend to strive even harder to become worthy!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Congratulations! You are getting a fine guitar. 8)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2