Clear all

Where do I start?

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@daren)
Topic starter  

Hello,

Im a beginner and Ive ordered a Yamaha Fs720 small bodied accoustic guitar and should get it by the end of the week.

Im not new to playing musical instruments I play keyboards and I have achieved a ABRSM grade 8 on piano so I can read music,and have very good theory knowledge.I hope I can make the switch to guitar and make good progress.

What coarse do you think is ideal for an adult begginner that will start me off and be progressive?
Do I learn the guitar using tab or notation?

Regards
Daz

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

If you already know how to read music, I'd suggest you start by learning/memorizing the notes on the guitar so you can play sheet music.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I've started 8 months ago so take that into consideration with my advice.
Getting a teacher is probably the best start.
I don't use a teacher (so even I don't take my own advice)
I did buy a DVD lesson though. I got a 1 disk DVD when I bought my guitar.
It introduced the "need to know things" like what notes the open strings are, how to tune a guitar, how to restring your guitar, and some open chords and some barre chords. It came with a book that has practice exercises.
So I would suggest a DVD/book lesson if you're not going to get a teacher.

I also bought the more expensive and more extensive "Learn and Master the Guitar" DVD package which comes with jam session CDs so you can have a little fun with some background music to play along with. It also comes with a practice book and includes songs so that you can start playing something right away. And as you learn more it introduces more songs that reinforce what you learn. Geez, I didn't mean to sound like a commercial, so I'll stop.

Welcome to GN and
Good luck on your journey,
KR2

There's a Beginner's Video thread on the Hear Here board.
Drop in there if you want to watch some fellow struggling guitarists.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Probably a teacher is the best advice in your case. You know music theory and also read in the classical notation so you 'only' need to understand and learn the new instrument.

You can consider this Hal Leonard Guitar Method. It uses standard notation and it is a great method. The initial lessons will be very easy for you but perhaps it could help you in the guitar understanding.

And welcome to GN!

ReplyQuote
(@spides)
Estimable Member

If you can read, The Berklee book is almost an essential. It will transfer said reading skills over to guitar as well as teaching you relevant chord shapes and techniques along the way. I once heard someone say "you're not a guitarist untill you know the berklee book cover to cover."

William G Leavitt: A Modern Method For Guitar. Volume 1. Berklee series. Google it.

Aside from that Just work on fretboard knowlege and chord vocab, you've got the theory thing down so all you really need is to know how to apply it to the guitar. Knowing the notes will take you much closer to that goal.

Congrats on taking up the guitar, hope to see you on the forums.

Don't sweat it dude, just play!

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Right here. Visit some of Dhodge's lessons and you are all set to go for quite a lot of time.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Right here. Visit some of Dhodge's lessons and you are all set to go for quite a lot of time.

Good advice from Rahul there. David's lessons are in standard musical notation and tab, so anyone can understand them. And if they don't? Well, that's what the site's for - asking and answering questions.

Good luck and good playing!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote