Notifications
Clear all

Where should I be after 3 months?

26 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

The only way I will be able to judge my progress is being able to play, say, Wish You Were Here all the way through without hesitation. I'll give myself three months (but I'll keep Horse With no Name in my back pocket just in case).

I don't know, but giving yourself only that long to play one of the greatest songs of one of the greatest rockbands ever is kinda ambitious. I'm sure you'll be able to play the song one way or the other if you keep it up but really, be a bit more patient with yourself. Remember: if you can play that song you have gained the skill to learn a billion other songs that use the same building blocks.

BTW, if you can follow the horse with no name lesson of David you're doing pretty well. Sure, only two chords, but the rhythm is quite the bit trickier then many other songs. Same goes for house of the rising sun: it requires some serious chord changes, tight picking, I believe there even are triplets in there. Songs like that contain so much music that you should be way more proud of yourself for just daring to tackle them!

ReplyQuote
(@kirkd)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Dylan,

Thank you so much for the heady praise. I only hope that my head will now fit into the practice room. 8^)

As for natural talent, I'm not convinced that I have much of that. I am, however, very driven and determined. My take is that by practicing at least an hour per day (sometimes 2-3 if I get obsessed with something), that has help me out. Again, I'm not sure where I stand on the big scale of where I _should_ be after 3 months. I also have to attribute a lot to my instructor. He is very, very good about finding those things that are difficult for me and forcing me to learn them. He wastes no time whatsoever on things I can do well. ugh

cnev, yeah C to G was a bit tricky but the real killer that I'm so happy to have accomplished was the F to B7. Ouch! Now if I can just get the progression A E F#5 D and B5 D A E down. Double ouch!

ReplyQuote
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member

Sweet Child O Mine is actually good practice as it was originally a practice routine used by Slash (GnR's lead guitarist) but then it got turned into a song!
This may not affect you, but it sure as anything does me, but if you want to play at your best remain sober! I find even a few pints, which may not apparently have any affect on you, will have a significant effect on playing things like Sweet Child O Mine intro, which involves a certain degree of accuracy and dexterity. By contrast chord based sequences such as simple bluesy rythym seems to work better when under the affluence of incahol. :mrgreen:

Rob

If something's not worth doing it's worth forgetting about.
Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five
http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline

ReplyQuote
(@kirkd)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

37 years sober and counting.

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

All I can say from what you tell us is that you are better than I was after 3 months. I've been at it for about 6 years now and have been improving over time as all folks do, and you will also. There is no yardstaick to measure yourself against, and no test to have to study for, so just have fun and keep learning.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Of course, I'm self-taught, and my teacher sucks at playing (and isn't so great at teaching, either) :wink:

Hey! I had the same teacher! :P

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Almost all of us wonder where we "should" be based on our days, months or years of playing. I asked that same question after I had played 4 months. So what have I found about that question? It's not a race. After decades of playing you'll still wonder "Am I as good as X who's been playing as long as me."

As David pointed out there are so many variables. I must say you have learned way more than anyone I know in just 3 months. Nevertheless, play what you can play and let your own style come out.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

37 years sober and counting.

:lol: Well I have only been sober for the last 19 years but on the other hand I have been playing the piano for 30 years (albeit at the same level, more or less) and guitar for the last 10 months. So I am 7 months up on you, my friend :twisted: ... Sounds like you are doing great!
But I have to question the stagefright thing in front of the houseplants. Huh?? The other wiser heads are right, learn some songs. HAVE FUN! And if you think you have the song cold and there's no challenge left, THEN take it outside. Literally. Play to the trees and birds and the chance passerby. Or start by serenading your wife, I'm sure she's a patient woman. Play with the TV on, this tip has been given elsewhere here by David Hodge, but it is a really good way to train yourself to focus on the only thing you should be focussing on while playing the guitar, which is playing the guitar.

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

That's great I have been playing for 4 month's and I can't do all that.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Dylan,
I'm at about the same place as you. I' ve just started working at "House of the Rising Sun" since it only involves 5 chords.
I'm ecstatic that I finally got the F bar chord.
What's keeping me chugging along is thinking I'll never be able to contort my fingers to hit a chord but then after a day or two I GET IT, move on to the next, encounter the same difficulty but finally get it.
The F barre chord was a major hurdle for me (as far as I know . . . I'm teaching myself.)
I didn't think I would get that but my fingers toughened up or something because now I nail it.

I got an intro DVD (with two lessons) with my guitar so I've got a "computer for a teacher".
But I'm thinking of asking for the more expensive CD/DVD instructions (something like Learn and Master the Guitar) for Christmas.
I'm able to hit the chords on "House of the Rising Sun" but it's really clumsy since I have to take about 2 or 3 seconds to position my fingers to hit some of the chords cleanly.
Let me know of your progress and other songs that you find that you like.
I never get tired of hearing the HOTRS intro. And the fact that it's me making that happen is awesome.

Ken

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@understone)

After 3 months I wouldn't expect much. It may take a year or 2 for u to decide if it's still something you want to pursue seriously. I can't see someone playing anything resembling an experienced player after a few months - whether it is sweet child o mine or twinkle twinkle little star. Confidence, accuracy, precision, letting go, feeling, and everything else behind the notes themselves all come with experience and years of practice.

With most things, including guitar, there is no such thing as "mastering" - whether it is a chord progression, solo, scale, or whatever - there is no such thing as attaining perfection. It seems like you are learning the right things at a good pace though. I can tell u that after 3 months I was horrific.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2