Notifications
Clear all

Which Amp?

42 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Ken, I used the FM 212R Combo version of that for a few years. Ear bleeding volume capacity. That clean tone was really nice. Not tube sounding, but still very nice.

Roy

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Ken, I used the FM 212R Combo version of that for a few years. Ear bleeding volume capacity. That clean tone was really nice. Not tube sounding, but still very nice.

Roy

Cool!

I have played a few newer Fender SS amps.... and I have to say; I really liked 'em :shock:
My fave was a little 30 watt with a 10 inch speaker.... The Champion 30 I think it was.
It had a nice clean tone AND a nice James Gang-like overdrive!
Some nice on board effects....
Not a bad little amp really :D

So, Roy....
Would you recomend the FM series as a gig worthy amp at a good price then?

For as loud as it was.... was it also possible to get a good tone at low levels as well????

The only reservation I have with the Crate is that I know the older ones had a very 'Colorful' clean channel sound.
That is.... It wasn't quite 'clean enough' for me.

The reviews said it had good tone; though the Fender clean tone reviews seemed to be a bit more impressive to me for some reason.

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Okay,
So as far as the 'Fender Special Design' speaker goes....
I've been all over the place, so I can't remember where I heard certain leads;
Here's what I have so far:

I heard that the speaker is a Legend 125.... Which when Googled, came up a model 1258,
which is a 12" 8 ohm 75 watt speaker.

Then I found some info that said the Blues Jr, Blues Deluxe, and Twin all have the same speaker....
An Eminence 12" 8 ohm 50 watt speaker with the part # 0994812002.
Googled that part #.... nothing that I didn't know :evil:

So I went on the Eminence site.... can't see that you can look up part numbers.

Looked for a 12" 8 ohm 50 watt Legend....
The GB128
Said to have a Hotrodded British tone with a Private Jack flavor with improved definition.
Thick and smooth with lots of mids and a very tight top end.
Lots of definition and crunch.
Recomended for classic rock/blues/country.

Thats about all I can find.
Guess you'll have to see which of the 3 possible speakers it is.

Ken

-Ernest Hemingway

-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I've got a Fender Champion 30 DSP sitting right beside me. I was my first "real" amp, so to speak. Right now I've got a Multi-effects board hooked to it and am becoming very pleased with it.
Would you recomend the FM series as a gig worthy amp at a good price then?
As far as gigging with the FM, I really don't know. I can't imagine it not being loud enough to break through anything. I never cranked it way up, but I do remember the fierceness it had when I did turn it up some. I have heard people say that the volume pot on it was all or nothing. To me, it was like 1 was nothing, 2 was wide open and 3+ was more and more wide open. The distortion settings (came with gain and more gain) never thrilled me. I could get some decent mild distortion, but never anything heavy I liked. However, I really play mostly clean. Oh, and I can vouch that it will break through a drum set.
For as loud as it was.... was it also possible to get a good tone at low levels as well????
Low levels, yes. Ultra low, like when people sleeping in the house, not really. Didn't sound bad, but was much better with some volume to it.
Is it true that it has a pretty early breakup in the clean channel????
I don't know about the Blues Deluxe breaking up at early volumes. Has not happened yet. I've not pushed it at all. My new Super Champ does break up really early though. It broke up at about 6 with my Ibanez GAX70 only turned up about 1/2 way.

I could never really imagine doing it, but I can now. I like the Super Champ. It'll be the amp I carry around to jam with friends, etc. (No pedals, great clean tone and good enough effects for me) However, when it broke down, I was a little disappointed. I might be considering a new speaker...if that's the right fix.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Okay,
So as far as the 'Fender Special Design' speaker goes....
I've been all over the place, so I can't remember where I heard certain leads;
Here's what I have so far:

I heard that the speaker is a Legend 125.... Which when Googled, came up a model 1258,
which is a 12" 8 ohm 75 watt speaker.

Then I found some info that said the Blues Jr, Blues Deluxe, and Twin all have the same speaker....
An Eminence 12" 8 ohm 50 watt speaker with the part # 0994812002.
Googled that part #.... nothing that I didn't know :evil:

So I went on the Eminence site.... can't see that you can look up part numbers.

Looked for a 12" 8 ohm 50 watt Legend....
The GB128
Said to have a Hotrodded British tone with a Private Jack flavor with improved definition.
Thick and smooth with lots of mids and a very tight top end.
Lots of definition and crunch.
Recomended for classic rock/blues/country.

Thats about all I can find.
Guess you'll have to see which of the 3 possible speakers it is.

Ken

Thanks, Ken! I'll dig from there sometime. It's not got that great a visual access point, but maybe I can shine some lights in there and see better. I'm pretty sure that it has some sort of number on it. I just could not see it that well. I need my son's youthful eyes. :cry:

I can see the genres of music listed as being a good fit though. The amp is SOOOO tasty.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Roy,
I thought you were refering to a new Champ 600 tube amp....
Then I remembered reading Greg talking about a new 'super champ' amp.

Had to look into it....
COOL! :D

I have long been wondering why Fender hasn't come out with a 12-18 watt amp powered by two 6v6 tubes!
There are legions of twin 6v6 fans about!

How is it????

It's a tube modeling amp.... How is the 'Tweed' setting on it????

What is it that you don't like about the speaker?
And have you a general idea what you'd like to replace it with?

And anything else you care to share about it would be greatly appreciated! :mrgreen:

Ken

-Ernest Hemingway

-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

How is it????

It's a tube modeling amp.... How is the 'Tweed' setting on it????

What is it that you don't like about the speaker?
And have you a general idea what you'd like to replace it with?

It's highs are really high. No problem. My guitars and the Amp all have tone settings. The breaking down thing is the only reason I dissed the speaker, and I'm not even sure if it's the speaker's fault. I don't know enough to say.

I've not messed with the voicings or effects a whole lot yet. I'm so behind. I keep sitting down and plowing through clean tunes. :oops:

As far as overall, I like it. It's got about everything I want. Good tube tone clean and some different voicings for doing some other stuff. I'm sure there are better amps out there that do better modelling, and I know there are better sounding tube amps in the clean tone area. However, all in the same box and for only $300? Of course, if you read all the reviews around, 9 out of 10 have justified their purchase by claiming it's the best thing ever....and the 1 guy who didn't like it has that "if it doesn't sound like a $2,000 amp, it's garbage" mentality.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@markthechuck)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

i got a VOX ad30vt anyone had any experience with this one?

A knock back is the beginning of a comeback!!!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Roy

I am pretty sure your Blues Deluxe has the Eminence Legend 125 that was mentioned. This is the speaker my Hot Rod Deluxe came with. It is rated 75 watts. Now they call it the 1258

Eminence 1258

I put a Celestion G12T-75 in my Hot Rod, this is the famous speaker Marshall uses in it's cabs. I like it a lot, it holds the low end better than the Eminence.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Mark, I have not tried that amp recently. Loads of people have around here and many tout it's quality. Congrats!

Wes, I actually looked in at the store and did see two different speakers when I got mine. (Looked at the HRD and the Blues Deluxe)

BTW, something amusing. I was reading in the Fender forum today. Someone was "disappointed" the Super Champ Deluxe ($300) because it didn't sound quite as good as their 60-something Fender Twin-something-or-other worth like over $1,000. People amaze me. :roll:

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Roy

Yeah, that always irritates me, some guy (or gal) complaining a low or mid-priced amp doesn't sound as good as an amp costing 10 times as much. Duh! :roll:

I like this new Kia I bought, but it isn't as good or fast as that Porsche I used to own. Sheesh!

You know what though? I have gone in to the music store and played on some of these high priced amps like the Twin. And seriously, it didn't sound much different than my Hot Rod Deluxe.

The new Champ is what it is. A very good sounding tube amp with many features. And try lugging a Twin up a flight of stairs!

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member

i got a VOX ad30vt anyone had any experience with this one?

I have your amp and love it; unfortunately I've been spending more time playing with the settings than playing :lol:

If you have more discipline than me (and it doesn't really matter) here's a great site for tone settings:

http://www.valvetronix.net/

"...I don't know - but whasomever I do, its gots ta be FUNKY!"

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3