Notifications
Clear all

Which are THE best strings on acoustic?

27 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

as has been said a few times -- the best strings are the ones that sound the best.

For the way you play, the guitar you use, and even the room you play in will all effect which strings you like best.

Strings are inexpensive enough that you can try a few. Change them out once a week trying different brands and thicknesses till you find the ones that you like best. It might take you a couple months, but that's part of the fun of it.

Stringed instruments are very personal things. You have to get to know you guitar, and your guitar has to get to know you. That takes time and a willingness to experiment.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Hello Kevin,
Welcome to the forum. 9/10 ect that is the thickness of the wire. Also effects the tone in a way as to how the gauge sounds at pitch. But that is best left to one of the more experenced players to answer. I use 9's on both my electrics and 12's on my acoustic. I like the 9's for my style of playing and bending on my electrics, my personal preference. My Taylor came with 12's and I like the way it sounds and plays so I have left the stings at this size. 12's are considered light on an acoustic and heavy on an electric. Having said this, start with the stick size for the guitar and experiment as to what you like. I like the Elixirs that came on the guitar so I have opted to use them again. Like Nick said, what sounds good to you is what is best for you :) If you do not like the sound of what is on the guitar change brands and try another. I realize this is an ambigous answer, but it like choosing a shirt to wear to work, what ever the mood strikes you.
Enjoy and I hope I helped a little.

John M

ReplyQuote
(@ratfish256)
Eminent Member

I use 12s on my electric and 13s on my acoustic. I tune down a step on each to better match my voice so bending isnt that much of a problem. I find its easier to pick up either one and just play becuase the gages are so close. Recently I put a set of 10s on my electric to give it a shot again. Even tuned to standard they just felt weak to me.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I had hair of the saintly virgin strings once. They lasted forever, but that's only because they wouldn't let you touch them.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

String guage is actually the thickness of the High E string.
On an acoustic the guage effects tone and volume. The thicker strings have more of both, thinner strings are easier to fret, bend ect...
I started with 12s on mine and got used to them. I tried a set of 13s once and it felt like I was trying to fret with iron bars. I only left them on 3 days and went happily back to my 12s.
Not sure what effect string guage has on electrics.
My electric came with 9s but being that I mostly play acoustic with 12s I felt the 9s where way too light for me and put 10s on instead. Still a bit light but much better.
Like everone else said it is a matter of personal preference.
Edit: let me clarify the beginning of my post. All 6 strings are guaged by thousandths of an inch. On my acoustic my high E is .012"thick and my low E is (I think) .054" thick. when you go to a shop and say give me a set of 10s you are referencing the thickness of the high E string.

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

I had hair of the saintly virgin strings once. They lasted forever, but that's only because they wouldn't let you touch them.
picturing Nick chasing the guitar around trying to touch the strings :)

John M

ReplyQuote
(@omegaman)

I have been very pleased with the sound and quality of Newtone PB's for acoustic. I get them thru a dealer in Canada, there is one in the states that I know of. I belive they are made in England. Like John Pearse's some say, but I like em' a bit more.

http://www.breedloveforum.yuku.com/

ReplyQuote
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member

In the past year, I've tried Martins SP, D'Addarios and several others. I usually end up buying the D'Addarios, as they have a great sound and feels great and lasts long.

However, I was at a local store playing a few guitars and notice that they have strings by Elixar. I couldn't stop playing them, because they felt so good. So I bought a set.

Haven't put them on my guitar as of yet, as I just changed strings. Normally I wouldn't spend so much on the strings, but I've been told that they last longer than other strings because of the coating.

I personally thought the sound was great, however I was playing a Larrivee and a Martin guitars at the time. :)

ReplyQuote
(@summbuddy)
Eminent Member

dununununununu batman. dunununununununu BATMAN! da dadu da zing doa bow du nneeeerrr. Bat-MMAAAAAAAAAAAAAN! yeah.

love summbuddy ;0)

ReplyQuote
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member

Hey all,

Just finally bought some Exilars strings (a birthday present to myself), though they are expensive, the sound and feel is great.

Something to do with them being coated, so they can last a little longer.

In Vancouver, BC Canada. Prices range from:

Martin SP's $6.00

Daddarios $10.00

Elixars $18.00

So most of the time I've bought Martins and Dad's, but have found that the expense is really worth it.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

So guys, what would you say are THE best strings for a beginner on acoustic. Have been told that elixirs are the daddys but have read that they can sound a bit nasal (and my playing is bad enough!!!).

Also, what sort of gauge should i go for-just for everyday playing.

Cheers

The ones you think sound and feel best on that guitar. Here's an example using mine. . .

Cherry (Gibson Faded Double Cut): D'Addario EXL (10's)
Juanita ('94 Mex Strat): Fender 150 (10's)
Woodie (Ibanez AM73) D'Addario EL (11's)
Betty Lou (Tele): dunno yet - just got her, currently Fender 250s (09's), but they're not gonna last. I bend way too hard for 09's :shock:
Snow (Washburn D-12 12 string): Martin Silk & Steel
Mahogany (Martin D-15): Martin Bronze Lights

I really have fun buying strings :twisted:

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@smudga)
Eminent Member

I use Rotosound Country Gold 11's on my six-string...
A :-)

Hi Alan, I took my Tanglewood back to MJ's Music in Basildon for them to check the action, which I thought maybe a little high as I've played on a couple of friends guitars which seem to have lower actions... anyway - the guy in the shop said the action was fine but suggested Country Gold's and i think he put 12's on my guitar for me.

Do the Country Gold's losen up any, I ask this because they seem slightly tighter and slightly harder to fret compared to the old factory fitted 12's that were replaced.

Thanks

(¯`·._..-SMUDGA-.._.·´¯)
A few clowns short of a circus!!!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2