Clear all

Which Chords go together?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@deadat27)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Im just getting into theory and Id like to know which chords compliment eachother?

I've noticed that the E minor and G major sound great and made a cool song using those two but others like an E minor and A major dont sound too good, perhaps it's the tuning of my guitar.

Can you make it easier for me by helping out on this one.

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I haven't fully grasped it all yet, but Tom Serb's new article on chord progressions might have the info you're looking for:
https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=487

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I outlined common changes, but I didn't really get into the 'why' chord changes work, and it's pretty simple - there's a common note between the two chords. That gives your ear something to hang on to...

Changes to the relative minor share two tones:

G = G-B-D
Em = E-G-B

Most common changes, like C-F, work because they share one tone:

C = C-E-G
F = F-A-C

and so does G7-C:

G7 = G-B-D-F
C = C-E-G

There are plenty of exceptions, though. Take that Em-A:

Em = E-G-B
A = A-C#-E

They've got a common tone, so a composer might harmonize that way... but you're also changing chord type (minor to major). If I had to make a really basic rule of thumb, it would be this:

if you go from a major to a minor, or minor to major, have two common chord tones

if you go from major to major, minor to minor, or seventh to major or minor, one common tone will do.

It's actually more complicated than that - G7 to B isn't going to sound very sweet - but a short answer isn't going to squeeze in the whole field of harmony :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

My band does a cover of Down By the River by Neil Young. The song starts out going from Em to A. (actually Em7 to A). Sounds good.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@noerton)

One way to find chords that go together is to use a I - IV - V progression.
I will explain you that, but i can't gurantee for explaining it right.
So let's write C Major Scale:

C -- D -- E -- F -- G -- A -- B
I -- II - III IV - V -- VI - VII

This "I, II , III" thing are the steps of the scale, every major and minor scale has seven steps.

The progression I - IV - V is very popular and is used about a thousand times.
I - IV - V means C - F - G when we're working in the Key of C.
In the key of A for example it would be A - D - E

You can create an instant-song when your playing for example a I - IV - V progression (you can vary the I - IV - V thin as long as I IV and V appear in the progression) and sing what comes to your mind. A variation would be I - V - I - IV, but i think that you can invent new ones.

IMHO that's a good method to find chords that go together.

Please excuse my mistakes, I'm Austrian.

P.S.: My first post. Yay!

ReplyQuote
(@deadat27)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the help guys, Im gonna write this down and study it. I just go by ear and play the most loud sounding chords together (ones that include the bass string) and then play the softer chords together, usually the ones dominated by the bottom strings.

ReplyQuote
(@geetar66)
Estimable Member

Also, every major chord has a relative minor chord that shares two notes with it. The relative minor chord can be found by finding the major sixth of that major chord...

in other words...C major...since we know that the G is the fifth if the Cmajor scale, then A must be the major sixth...AND voila! Aminor is the relative minor of C major...they also share two notes...the C and the A

here are some others and they follow the same pattern

A major - F# minor
B major - G# minor
C major - A minor
D major - B minor
E major - C# minor
F major - D minor
G major - E minor

good luck!

Julius

Meet me tonight in Atlantic City

ReplyQuote