Clear all

which do you suggest?

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@txpilot)
Topic starter  

Hey yall,
I know absolutely nothing about guitar, but I want to get one and teach myself. I figured I could do something to better myself instead of sitting around watching TV when theres nothing else going on. I only have about $100-$130 to spend, I know thats probably not much but I don't want to spend much money til I see if I enjoy it.

I'm thinking either

http://www.zzounds.com/item--SVTSD3000PAK

or

http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAIJV50

I figure theres not much difference in cheap guitars, but would any of you perfer one over the other and why? Or would you pick any different ones?

Thanks.

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I'm assuming you are wanting an acoustic from the two links you posted. I dont know, first hand, about either of those two but I have heard a few people talk nicely about the Ibanez jumpstart packages. Although they may have been speaking about the electric ones.

But my main advice for you is to take it to a shop and have them set it up for you. Having it set up right (String height and stuff) really makes a guitar IMHO. If its comfortable then its alot more enjoyable to play.

Also, dont have high expectations if you havent played at all. You arent going to buy a guitar and "get it" right away. You have to pick it up everyday and practice it so that you will get to the point where you really enjoy it. Its really a life time experience, if you ask me.

I wont get into the "Are cheap guitars as good as expensive ones" argument. You just have to play em to find a good one and if you never played then you have to go to a shop and let someone else (A friend, sales person, etc) play it for you and help you decide.

Good luck and WELCOME to GN. Hope we see you around more.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

go to the musiciansfriend site, click the link on guitars, on the right there will be a link for packages.

after that look for another link down the right side for solid tops. arrange the list to show lowest price to highest

there are several nice starter guitar packages under $200 it will be worth it to save a few more dollars and get something a little better sounding, and easier playing then the bottom end stuff. there are several threads about some of these already posted in the "opinions" forum.
https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22653

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@txpilot)
Topic starter  

Alright, thanks for the replies yall. About the solid top vs laminated(?) top, what are the differences in them? I'm probably going to get either the Ibanez or the Epiphone DR-15, which is $40 more and has a solid top. Is it having a solid top worth $40 more in your opionons? Also, the Epiphone has mohogany back and sides and the Ibanez has Agathis back and sides...could anyone touch on the differences in quality of these woods?
Sorry for all the questions, thanks in advance.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

For a total beginner, you'll notice very little difference in sound quality between two different woods - what you will notice, however, is how well the guitar is set up - you'll like a fairly low action (strings not too far from the neck) and , like everyone else who ever has or ever will pick up a guitar, you'll be wanting to play something recognisable the first time you pick it up ....

My advice, go to your local guitar shop, there's always an assistant who's dying to play - get him to try out a few guitars, see how they sound, then try them yourself....you may not sound as good, but it'll give you a rough idea of how the guitars FEEL in your hand - and that is important!

Last year, I had a real craving for a Telecaster - tried a few in the shop, ended up buying a Squier Tele and saving £300 - it felt so much better than the Fenders.....

So try before you buy, and pick the one that feels right in your hands......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@txpilot)
Topic starter  

Ok, scratch the last round of questions I asked. I went ahead and got the cheaper one. I know its probably not as good, but that $40 I saved is a weeks worth of groceries and thats pretty important for a poor starving college student. Anyways, thanks for yalls help and I'm sure I'll be back on asking more questions when I start trying to learn.
-John

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

The one you choose will be fine. Everyone has to start somewhere. Once you settle in practicing and becoming more familiar. You'll know when its time to advance to another level. You've certainly came the right place for getting answers and expanding your knowledge about playing guitar.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

there's not much difference between a $100 guitar and a $130 one so going cheaper was ok.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Lam tops are great campfire/camping guitar they're built to last and short of leaving it in a hot car or setting it out in a driving rain it'll take alot of abuse. The sound won't change with age but sometimes that's a good thing :wink:

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Well, welcome to the party txpilot. Your fingers are going to hurt for a while, and then the addiction kicks in.

Let us know how it's going. Start by checking out David's lessons on this site.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote