Clear all

Which Electric Guitar???

12 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@swifty)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have been learning to play acoustic guitar for almost a year. I was also intrested in buying an electric guitar, but have no idea what type of guitar to get(and other supplies) taking into account my experience level and buget(somewhere around 4-5 hundred including all materials). If anyone has some suggestions that would be great. 8)

(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

You cant go wrong with a fender standard tele or strat $350.00 or
A squier tele or strat for about $200.-250. ( I would go with the standard squier, its a step up from the affinity and doesn't cost much more. Behringer makes some nice amps in the $200.oo range--the dog

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/s=amps/search/detail/base_pid/480730/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/s=electric/search/detail/base_pid/519619/
I have the above squier tele and it ROCKS 8) 8) I have the 212 version of the amp and i'm very happy with it

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Well I'm going to do it and post Rondo Music for your consideration. There has been ALOT of talk about these guitars lately here. If you're not sure if you really want to play an electric here is a nice Strat Copy and don't be foold by the price. THese are great guitars. Or for about $100 more you can get the one I puchased (an absolutely LOVE!) the Agile AL-2000 Gold Hum that also comes in Amber Flame. These are GREAT guitars at a reasonable price. Plus it will give you extra money to buy a decent amp (get at LEAST 30 watts!). Cases are around $50 as well.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

For the utmost in versatility I'd go with a Godin SD or Yamaha Pacifica/ Washburn X8, ie. a guitar with 2 single coils and a humbucker.

For the amp, the Voc valvetronix is popular around here, preferably the 30 watt version. Even if you have to save up a little longer it's probably the better investment.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

You can get some nice "starter packs" pretty reasonably, that include the guitar, amp, cord, strap, & strings, in most of them. Check out Squire, Fender, and Washburn. Those are some nice ones I seem to remember seeing around lately.

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Electric guitars may need to be broken down some into types of electric rather than brands???.......

Telecaster, stratocaster or les paul with a set neck? String through or floating bridge? Regular fret wire or medium jumbo or jumbo?...All preference type things but some things make playing easier, some things sound better, some are more fun/versatile.

Strats are pretty versatile.
I suppose the tele's are the least versatile but I practice more with that guitar more than any other one. My acoustics have been on the back burner lately.

They all have their inherent tones even though you can use any one alone and play with electronics modelers.

I have one of each and I love all TWO of them so far because I didn't recieve the les paul yet but I am sure I will like that one also.

So..........you asked for recommendations here and I decided not to post actual models or manufacturers, so I have to recommend that you buy all 3 guitars! :D :D

But if you want to get a better single guitar to fit your budget I would agree a strat is a good place to start.

:wink:

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

For the utmost in versatility I'd go with a Godin SD or Yamaha Pacifica/ Washburn X8, ie. a guitar with 2 single coils and a humbucker.

For the amp, the Voc valvetronix is popular around here, preferably the 30 watt version. Even if you have to save up a little longer it's probably the better investment.

This is pretty much what I did. A Vox AD30VT and a Yamaha Pacifica 112J.

The Yamaha I got was a beauty for the money and the amp is very versatile.

There's a big choice so, as always, play them and choose the individual guitar that sounds and feel best to you. Apparently, 'identical' guitars of the same make don't automatically have identical sound and quality, so play as many as you can and see if one just "sings" for you. :)

Don't buy a crappy amp. If you spend all the money on a guitar, and not enough on the amp it can still sound very disappointing. I know a couple of people who bought a cheap starter pack and liked the guitar but ended up hating the amp. So make sure you hear the guitar played through the amp you're going to buy - not demonstrated through a more expensive amp (which often happens in shops).

Good hunting. :D

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Take a look at the Schector's, great pricing and everything I've heard about them is great. I'm thinking about buying one for my daughter.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

+1... Godin makes incredible guitars for the money, and The vox valvetronix amp has plenty of great sounding tones to keep you happy for a while... :)

And, as always, I'd give a Rondo Music reccomendation, they do make great valued guitars... I have an Agile strat, and I couldn't be more happy wih it... 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

And, as always, I'd give a Rondo Music reccomendation, they do make great valued guitars... I have an Agile strat, and I couldn't be more happy wih it... 8)

YoYo, which strat do you have? I have been thinking of getting a better one then the Behringer I already have. Either that of upgrade the pickups. It plays nice but I just want a bit better now especially after playing the Agile LP!

ReplyQuote
(@swifty)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I felt so lost going into the guitar shop and looking at all of the guitars. I now at least have a list of guitars to go try out and see which one I like the best.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

alwyas remember that there are differences in quality and playability in Brands.
and more important, there is a difference within brands. Ive played some Gibson Les Pauls that were crappy, three in a row. the fourth played and felt great.
same with Fender. Im a die hard American Fender player. but even they can build a clunker.
bottom line. get the guitar that fits in your hand, sounds good UNPLUGGED(it will sound great plugged), look for the details in craftsmanship (does the neck fit up nice with the body, do the knobs turn or do they picnh>) that kind of stuff.
then get the guitar in your price range.
have fun.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote