Clear all

which Guitar

28 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

My question is if you take money out of the question and believe that money is no object , then what is the best guitar for a beginner ?
Does one go and buy a Ashton for a couple hundred aussie $ or does one spend thousands on something just to learn ?

I have 2 Ashton's (electric ) one I bought the given to me and a $300.00 aussie dollar acustic .I can't play them so.. if money is no object what do I buy to learn on ???
hilch

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

if money is no object , i would get a les paul, the jimmy page reissue.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

The one that inspires you to play it the most.

For me that would be a vintage Gibson ES-125 with P90s, for that classic Thorogood growl.
:D

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Get the best you can get, period.
The better the guitar the more you will want to play and in some cases it will be easier to play.
Some say don't spend alot in case you lose interest you are not out the money.
I say if you lose interest you can always sell the guitar, especially higher end guitars, for near what you paid and maybe even a small profit if it is something special.

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

For me....I wouldn't say money is no object....but, if I really wanted to, I could buy any guitar I want.

2 things stop me............

1 - What guitar do I want? Exactly what and to what specifications...I do not know yet. One day down the road I will know exactly the guitar I will settle into for the long term.

2 - I am still hammering away and learning. Making progress yes, much progress since I started. I still refuse to spend a lot of money for a guitar because I feel when I can play comfortably and fluently and have gone through a dozen guitars figuring out what I like about some and do not like........I will much better be able to appreciate a real nice guitar then. I do not feel worthy of an expensive guitar at this time and it sure would be a shame to drop some big bucks on a guitar and find out I do not like it or do not like the style should my playing evolve into something not best for the type of guitar I own. Just because a guitar is expensive does not mean we will like it.

So, I am having fun buying and selling cheap and middle of the road guitars and enjoying it while exposing myself to many different types, be they acoustic, strat, tele, set neck, bolt on, twin humms, hot rails, noiseless, vintage, different woods and construction, the list is endless out there. I think nothing of buying a used guitar and taking it apart and rebuilding it back up in a different way. I want to see and experience it all and then I will buy, build or have built for me the exact guitar I want in every way. 8)

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

For me....I wouldn't say money is no object....but, if I really wanted to, I could buy any guitar I want.

I have a similar sentiment, for somewhat similar reasons. I could afford to spend quite a bit more than I actually did, for two reasons:

- If I bought an expensive guitar, I would worry more about damage, and it might stay in it's case more.
- I don't quite know what I want at the high end. (Like, do I like a Martin sound better than a Taylor sound? -- I don't know yet. Or, what kind of wood do I want for the top? Spruce? Cedar? Something else?)

So, I ended up getting a used guild accoustic and a MIM strat, both of which are mid-range guitars.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Do you know in your heart you are going to keep playing guitar?

Well then, buy a guitar that you LOVE.

It is like a car. If I could afford a Porche, I sure would buy one! I know I would enjoy driving that better than a Volkwagen (not putting Volkswagens down). And it doesn't matter if I am a professional driver. :D

And guitar is the same. Get a guitar you love to look at and love the tone. One that feels like butter in your hands. You will play more often and enjoy it more! 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Get a guitar you love to look at and love the tone. One that feels like butter in your hands. You will play more often and enjoy it more!

This is the exact reason I'm saving my pennies for a USA Jackson. It's not a matter of if I can afford it but when I can afford it.

ReplyQuote
(@lotto-king)
Prominent Member

Just looking around here I echo what Wes said , but how often would you play your other axes ?

If your going to spend big bucks then surely you are keen enough to play every day every oppitunity take on holidays with you , make it your best friend .

I play a cheap acustic why because it's my best friend we have been through some very tough times and some very good times , I go no where with out her and look after her like she was human . I have had her for over 30 years many scratches many bumps , many many string changes . But she is still with me .

Money is not the question the passion of music is and I'm sure in time you will understand , after all Hilch how long you been playing now 8 months ?

You have a long way to go , so make that acustic your best friend learn everything you can , buy what you like but remember where it all started from and what helped you.

Cheers

Aghhhh

Not only am I a senior citizen

I'm now a bloody senior member

Are you people trying to tell me I'm old or what ?

over 700 posts ( I really do need to get out more )

ReplyQuote
(@dilettante84)
Eminent Member

if I could guy any guitar I wanted it would be this one:

It's a Yamaha AES920. Inspired by a less paul, but I think it imporves on it. It's got that less paul shape, but with those PRS curves, and IMO, it does it a lot better than PRS did with their singlecut. It also happens to be handmade in Japan. (Handmade being cut with CNCs, but 100% hand assembled with choice woods, and so on.)

I got the AES620, the little borhter as my first guitar, but more and more I wish I had gone for the 920 from the get go. As it stand now it will be a while before I can afford to get it.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Starting on a cheaper guitar will have you appreciate the better guitar more, but there is no such thing as a guitar too good for beginners. If you are serious about playing guitar you hvae plenty of reason to buy whatever guitar really makes your clock tick.If it is about electrics, and you are not yet sure what the differences are between different types you might get a cheaper one and orientate first. Sure sucks being stuck with a Gibson LP Supreme if you really wanted a tele...

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Funny, but the women in the family insist on watching this American Idol type of program in the search for the new lead singer of INXS. The lead guitarist of the house band, that backs all of the contestants, is Rafael Moreira.

He plays all sorts of instruments, but mostly Fenders and Gibsons - I haven't seen him play the Yamaha. Awesome guitarist though.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@mitchell)
Eminent Member

Probly a les paul. Seems to me that more people use this guitar live then anything else. Plus everytime i've picked one up(can count on one hand) they've felt amazing.

OT: greybeard the few times I've watched that show the house band seems 10,000 times better then the singer. They are an awsome band.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Probly a les paul. Seems to me that more people use this guitar live then anything else. Plus everytime i've picked one up(can count on one hand) they've felt amazing.

OT: greybeard the few times I've watched that show the house band seems 10,000 times better then the singer. They are an awsome band.

Rafael seems to use an LP a lot, but he also uses a white Gibson X-Plorer (or is it a Jackson of some sort?), but he does use a Tele, a Strat and a couple of acoustics

And, yes, the band makes the program watchable. They are really excellent and way better than any of the contestants - Hmm, I must look out some Rafael Moreira recordings.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I agree with JosephLefty and Vink.

I'm not good enough yet to fully appreciate the difference between the affordable guitars I own and the higher priced ones.

I don't buy the absolute cheapies, but I've bought some that are pretty inexpensive but are still recommended as good beginners guitars. Including a Yamaha Pacifica 112J Strat copy (not the cheapest Pacifica) and a Yamaha CG101 MS that has a a solid spruce top.

They play nicely and sound good.

When I'm ready I'll certainly splash out and buy something a lot more expensive. But I don't yet feel comfortable choosing which style to go for. This week I'm drooling over a Au$1,500.00 Maton acoustic. But next week it might be an electric Yamaha archtop... :D

In the meantime I keep practising, keep improving, keep saving, and keep working on deciding just what the 'dream' guitar is. :D

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2