Clear all

Which is harder

8 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@have-mercy)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Playing guitar with small fingers or large? I have huge Hands!

(@guitarninja)
Eminent Member

Both will do just fine.

ReplyQuote
(@soundgarden)
Trusted Member

Hendrix had huge hands and it didn't bother him. At worst you might need a guitar with a wider neck than the strats you're looking at.

Drugs are a waste of time. They destroy your memory and your self-respect and everything that goes along with with your self esteem. Kurt Cobain
Have you seen the roses? There's a whole lot of colours. Syd Barret

ReplyQuote
(@lunchmeat)
Estimable Member

I've found that it's best to have a large hand for fretting and a small hand for picking...it's also nice to have a third, medium-sized hand for fingerpicking.

Don't forget the small hand with the long ring finger for slide guitar. :P

Just practice - they're your hands, you'll know what to do! :D

-lunchmeat

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

i don't think this is something u can worry about because you're stuck with them

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I also hve very big hands, with long thin fingers - I've found it an advantage rather tan a disadvantage. When I was a little kid, I was told I had a pianist's fingers - I wanted to give them back, I wanted to play guitar....

You don't say whether you've got thin or thick fingers, but there are advantages to both, especially playing barre chords... although people with small fingers often manage to play a blues shuffle, even though it's a 5-fret stretch....it's just easier with big hands!

Leslie West of Mountain fame is one guitarist I can think of who had really big fingers - try looking for some videos of him on youtube.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

Both have their advantages and disadvantages...

IMHO the physical properties of big hands, thin fingers would, in theory, be an advantage, but everyone still has to learn how to use them efficiently...

Many years ago as a beginner, my mother got told by her guitar teacher that she had the wrong type of hands for playing guitar... so she accepted his opinion as fact and quit playing.

.... More like the wrong type of TEACHER!!!!!!!

Django had his left (fretting) hand disfigured in a fire when he was 18 or so.... didn't stop him becoming one of the greatest guitar players EVER....

Anyone can find excuses, but if you really have the passion and drive for guitar playing, you can reach your goals...

Just ask Tony Robbins :wink:

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Chuck Berry's another guitarist famous for the size of his hands.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote