Notifications
Clear all

Which kind of guitar?

26 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@rcazador)
Topic starter  

Hmmm. its true that I want to get to playing an electric, but I don't have the cash for a good electric. So I'm only considering a hollow guitar or a acoustic. Thanks for the advice :)

ReplyQuote
(@roggercallen)

Hmmm. its true that I want to get to playing an electric, but I don't have the cash for a good electric. So I'm only considering a hollow guitar or a acoustic. Thanks for the advice :)

Same here

-Rogger

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

A "hollow guitar" (hollowbody or semihollow) is still an electric guitar. Unplugged, it won't substitute well for an acoustic.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rcazador)
Topic starter  

Thank you all I just got a Yamaha F310. :D

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

a solid choice...yamaha make very usable guitars...still have my first yammy310...

spending a little cash on a good set up would be good advise now

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@rcazador)
Topic starter  

a solid choice...yamaha make very usable guitars...still have my first yammy310...

spending a little cash on a good set up would be good advise now
What do you mean when you say 'setup'? I'm sorry to have to ask but I'm a noob

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

a 'set up' is basically getting the guitar playing the best it can.....if you got the guitar new from a store they should've already done the basics like setting the string height (called 'the action')...if its too high you will struggle to fret chords properly,spesh as you are new to guitar....if it is too low then you will get 'fret buzz'...this is because the strings vibrate and catch the metal frets at some point on the neck of the guitar....the truss rod plays its part too (a metal bar in the neck that counters the tension of the strings)

the 310 is a great beginner guitar,but just like any machine if is not 'tweaked' for optimum perfomance you wont get the best from it .

at least YOU will know in your own mind that what you will be learning on is doing it's part correctly :D

hope this helps and you enjoy your journey into musicianship!....we are all willing to help here and a good set up wont cost much but could save you much frustration 8)

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@rcazador)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the info, I'll take it over to the store and have it set up. Thanks a million, really :D

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Congrats on the new guitar! Yamaha makes great instruments.

Now, your next step. Go to the main site and look for "Songs for beginners" and also the "podcast". Study and play every lesson. And never forget the most important: enjoy!

And welcome to GN! :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Did you get any sort of learning book for beginners that shows you scales and chords and such?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

Congrats on the guitar! You'll soon be able to drop the title of "noob"!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2