Clear all

Which pick?

20 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I went through the dropping pick stage and thought there must be something wrong with me and I tried all kinds of picks but eventually (and it wasn't too long) I stopped having the problem.

I can't remember the last time I ever dropped one it never happens now. ( Of course I probably jinxed myself now)

Anyway I'm still in the school of using a thick pick because you can do everything with it, it just takes some technique. With the soft ones they are OK fro strumming but way to flexible for lead and heavy attack.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I went through the dropping pick stage and thought there must be something wrong with me and I tried all kinds of picks but eventually (and it wasn't too long) I stopped having the problem.

Anything in particular you did to stop it? I'm curious.
Anyway I'm still in the school of using a thick pick because you can do everything with it, it just takes some technique. With the soft ones they are OK fro strumming but way to flexible for lead and heavy attack.

Agreed. And for strumming I think they give a harsh sound. I've used thumb picks. They are great for muting while doing a shuffle, but they are so heavy that strumming with them also gives a really harsh sound, imo. And they are hard to control on upstrikes. Again, my experience and opinion. I don't know if they make medium and/or light thumb picks, but it would be great.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

As for not dropping them I didn't do anything specific I always liked picks at least .7 mm or thicker and settled on 1 mm now I can go a little thicker but those are the ones I'm comfortable with.

I think it comes down to technique the reason I would drop my picks was when strumming I'd dig into the strings alittle to deep and get the pick stuck.

I think the harsh sound comes more from technique than anything else you should be able to strum with a thicker pick without having that harsh sound. I know it's possible because my instructor uses 2 mm or thicker picks and when he strums it sounds fine. You do have to loosen the grip a bit when you strum and alter the pick angle slightly so it's really a technique issue more than anything, but once you have it down then you don't have to worry about using thin picks for strumming and soemthing different for everything else, you should be able to do it with one pick and since the thin ones are too flexible for lead to me it only leaves one choice use a thicker pick and work on technique.

If you don't want to use picks at all that's a different story though.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I have .73s for the most part. I think they are Mediums. At any rate, I have some that say .73 and some that say Medium. They feel pretty much the same. They give a nice sound, as long as I can hold onto them. :roll:

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@old-lefty)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Wow...I've been offline for a couple of days, and was pleasantly surprised with all the responses...I appreciate all the input from you guys.

I figured I'd spend some hours using the Fender Medium for strumming and see how it goes, so that's what I did last night....I'm fortunate enough to have an overnight shift where all I really have to do is be awake, and I can play most of the night if I want to. :twisted:
I got used to it, a little, and I can see where some of you are going when you talk of how tight or loose you hold it. I think I'll stick with that, use the Medium for everything now and re-access in a couple of weeks. Thanks all for the helpful posts.

Brian

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2