Which Pick?

30 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
(@markthechuck)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi

I have thin - med - thick picks, i am learning electric guitar just rhythm at the moment doing covers, should i use just one type or does it depend on which song or what???

A knock back is the beginning of a comeback!!!

(@steph)
Eminent Member

Generally you would use a slightly thinner pick for rhythm than for lead playing, however, there is no "good" pick to use. Your purpose is to make the music, if you cannot do this with thin picks, by all means do so with thicker ones and vice versa.
The best thing is to give it a go with the selection you have and find the optimal one for you.

Over time, when you play different styles and maybe adjusted your picking angle and attack you might want to compare again.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I'll second that. I use fairly heavyish plecs, but I also use heavy strings. pic choice is entirely subjective, and I find I change pic thickness every now and again, often for no good reason. just go with whatever feels good.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@classico)
Estimable Member

as far as i know there is no "right pick" to use here... it's up to you.
i know that i prefer thinner picks for rythem and thicker ones for soloing and such.
good luck :D

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

4 years ago, I bought several different thicknesses. Ended up with .58 Gator Grips. I do some .71s and .96s from time to time too.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Lately I'm using the small Dunlop's Jazz III. They are comfortable to my fingers and I like its sound. I also use Dunlop's Tortex, the green (.88 mm) or the blue (1 mm).

But the others gave good advices: bought several and decided which one is better to you.

ReplyQuote
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member

I've been playing for 3 months and have bought about 10 different kinds of picks (they're only $3 a dozen...)

I keep switching between them - at first I really needed the thinnest pick possible to make it easy to strum, now I use medium ones and I still use whatever style feels good at the moment. Some have a good sound, others are easier to grip, and so on.

I've pretty much settled on Fender mediums, but you should definitely find the one that works for you. Also try a different type every now and then - sometimes I'm surprised how much easier it makes things, other times it just sounds good.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I use different picks, sometimes 2 or 3 different ones in the space of a few minutes. It depends on how I feel.
Next to my guitars are : 1mm (or may .88mm) Dunlop tortex jazz picks, Dunlop big stubby 2mm, 1mm Pickboy carbon Edge, Pickboy 3mm (approx) horn and a raja katra bone (also about 3mm) pick.
The right pick is the one that feels right NOW.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

I use different picks, sometimes 2 or 3 different ones in the space of a few minutes. It depends on how I feel.
Next to my guitars are : 1mm (or may .88mm) Dunlop tortex jazz picks, Dunlop big stubby 2mm, 1mm Pickboy carbon Edge, Pickboy 3mm (approx) horn and a raja katra bone (also about 3mm) pick.

Wow theyre some p[rety huge plecs, i dont like anything over .70 mm

I generally use the .60 nylon dunlops, but thats just my prefeerence. Your gonna have to test some out and choose the one that sounds the best

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

You know those nights when you sit down and nothing sounds quite right coming from your guitar? That's the first thing I change. Often, it fixes it.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

+1 on thinner picks for rhythm and thicker for lead guitar.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You know those nights when you sit down and nothing sounds quite right coming from your guitar? That's the first thing I change. Often, it fixes it.
Yup, there are days when I can't get along with any poxy little 1mm pick, I need something beefy and the Pickboy or Raja are just the ticket. Other days.......

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Dunlop Big Stubbi 3mm here (I don't like picks to bend in the slightest), held tight and angled for lead and loosely and straight for rhythm (they have little indentations on each side so you don't drop it every 30 seconds when you're holding it loosely). It's the best of both worlds, IMHO, I can get both types of feel from the one pick and switch between them mid-song. Plus it doesn't make that annoying flappy sound that's louder than the strings when I'm strumming the 'leccy unplugged :mrgreen:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I have to quickly compose some jazzy stuff for a friend, and have found myself moving towards thicker picks as a result over the last few days, lol.

will have to get some of them dunkop 3mm's to try - I had one when I started but they were tiny if I recall. think it might be time now, though.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

will have to get some of them dunkop 3mm's to try - I had one when I started but they were tiny if I recall.

Yes, there's the Stubby which is small, and the Big Stubby, which is, um, big. There's also a nylon Big Stubby which will give a softer attack.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2