Skip to content
Why do I feel like ...

Notifications
Clear all

Why do I feel like I'm not learning anything new?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@gnaffdaz)
Topic starter  

Hi there! My names JT. This is my first time posting (insert generic introductory statement here).

I just picked up the guitar last summer and I feel like my progress happened relatively fast. I spent a number of years playing piano -- writing compositions, lyrics, live performance and things of the like -- which I believe was a perfect prelude to composing with a guitar.

I'm in a bit of a bind though... I really don't feel like I'm making any noticeable progress with the guitar. As far as technique is concerned, I can play some pretty complicated riffs, strummed chords and arpeggiated chords but I don't feel like my knowledge of chords is growing. I feel like most of my knowledge has been limited to the common chords, A, Am, D, D7, E, Em, F, G and a couple other chords I discovered on "accident".
This is causing my compositions to become stagnant; they all seem to sounds the same, or similar.

I would really like to avoid using covers as practive because I feel as though it borrows from the creative nature of a musicians style. I'm really trying to develop my own unique style but I can't seem to work my way out of this hole.

Could anyone offer any advice on how I can practice eith a broader range of chords without using covers as a foundation?

(@zaidrockso)

The caged system, google it, it's alot of work although once you're done with it you can play practically any chord.

http://www.soundcloud.com/zaidlutfi
http://www.zaidlutfi.com

ReplyQuote
(@gilbertog)

Read George Leonard's book "Mastery"

You will find the answer there ;)

P.S -> It's called a plateau

"What we call 'mastery' can be defined as that mysterious process through which what is at first difficult or even impossible becomes easy and pleasurable through diligent, patient, long-term practice.” ― George Leonard

ReplyQuote
(@factorx)
Eminent Member

It happens early on. Plateau after your explosive start but for me learning all the notes on every fret and running scales left me feeling that I will be dead before I plateau again.

If you haven't memorized the fret board then start. Opens a new world. I'm sure you know there are no sharps and flats between BC and EF so you can easily identify what the fret notes are by the open strings.

If you don't already know example. Top string open is E so fret 1 is F because no sharps and flats between EF. Fret 2 is F Sharp. Fret 3 is G etc etc

The string below E is A open so fret 1 is A sharp. Fret 2 is B and fret 3 is C because no sharps and flats between BC etc etc

So as long as you know the open strings notes and the order that notes go A BC D EF G then you can get a feel for the entire neck

Learn as many scales as you can. I started with real simple scales example pick open E then E string fret 1 then E string fret 3 open A then A string fret 2 then A string fret 3 then open D then D string fret 2 then D string fret 3 then open G then G string fret 2 then open B then B string fret 1 then B string fret 3 then open high E string then high E string fret 1 then high E string fret 3

If you know your fret board then you know I just showed 17 notes in order EFGABCDEFGABCDEFG run scale forward and backwards without stopping and practice doing it in time. Work on speeding it up. Great exercise

As I learned many scales I started connecting them with other scales moving forward and back and up an down taking me all over the fret board like a maze. Then I added hammer on and pull offs and string stretches and slides and before I knew it I could create new music on the fly without even thinking. Everyday is different. I noticed my mood determines what my hands do

Sorry if you already know this stuff. I just figured someone else could find it useful if you do

ReplyQuote