Clear all

Why do my strings buzz?

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@irideflatland)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

It's mostly the 2 lower strings, if I strum hard then they will buzz. I even tested it by pressing really hard on a fret with my thumb and then playing, and it still buzzed. It's a Rogue (acoustic), I think it cost like $60, so is it just a piece of crap? Or can I buy new strings or something to make it stop buzzing?

FPS Gaming

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Buzzing is usually due to the strings vibrating and banging into a fret somewhere between the one you are fingering and the bridge.

There are some adjustments that can be made to the guitar, but I'm not familliar enough with accoustics to tell you how to do it yourself (or if it can be done on that model of guitar)

Here's one website that has quite a bit of info on trying to locate the source of your buzzing:
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Setup/BuzzDiagnosis/buzzintro.html

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Has it always buzzed?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@irideflatland)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Has it always buzzed?
Yes. I haven't been playing that much, I got it last summer and probably have played less than 25 hours on it.

FPS Gaming

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

how hard are you playing???? if you're really banging on the strings, they'll buzz no matter how good your guitar is. try strumming with a smooth, fluid motion with equal pressure on all strings. see if it keeps everything quiet.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@irideflatland)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

how hard are you playing???? if you're really banging on the strings, they'll buzz no matter how good your guitar is. try strumming with a smooth, fluid motion with equal pressure on all strings. see if it keeps everything quiet.
I'm not playing very hard.

I checked out where the buzzing seems to come from, and the string seems to be hitting the fret next to the one I am fretting. Would new strings help this?

FPS Gaming

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Sounds like at the very least you'll need a setup. Was it bought at a store or online?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@irideflatland)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Sounds like at the very least you'll need a setup. Was it bought at a store or online?
What's a setup?

I bought it online, Music123 I think.

FPS Gaming

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

A setup is where they adjust your relief(how much bend is in your neck), your action(how high your strings are off the fretboard) and intonation(how in tune the guitar is with itself) You'll have to find a guitar shop that does such things. However If you did only pay $60 for your guitar I wouldn't get your hopes up short of raising the action sky high it may still buzz. Make sure you show the tech what you've got to see if they can fix it. Next time make sure you play the guitar your going to buy(don't test drive at a shop and then order online) buy the guitar you have played in the shop that way you know what it sounds like as well as the way it feels. Good luck.

ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote