4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey all!

Good things first:
I think I'm getting better, especially since I take lessons by a good friend.
:D

Now my question:
I'm doing different chromatic exercices and scale workout but somehow I have actually NO idea for how long I should practice one execrice?
In my case I do two exercices for eg the pentatonic in Am and start out slowly so I can get everything clear and in time. My question is? how long should I continoue practicing this particular exercices befor trying some other two?
Should I do them for eg two or three weeks or to a specific tempo? and then pick another two exercices and do the same with these?
I mean it isn't humanly possible to keep them all in your programm (exept if you can schedule 10 hours per day)
how do you do these things?

There are a lot of questions of how to build a training routine but somehow I miss the part for the long run, if you know what I mean?

I'm just curious and hope this makes sense...

thanks
marcel

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Once you can do it blindfolded cleanly I'd move to the next.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Learning the guitar is really acquiring a set of skills that build on each other.

There's no real general rule of when to move on - the majority of beginners will rush ahead, discarding exercises before they're really mastered; a few will hang on to the easy stuff practically forever, maybe for fear that the next things will be too hard. You want your skills to be solid, but you don't want to spend endless repetitions of something you already know.

Once you have an exercise down (you can play it flawlessly the first time you do it a couple days in a row), move on to the next one... but a week later, try the first exercise again to make sure the skills it taught you are being kept up by the new drills. If they are, maybe try it again a month later... and if you can do it flawlessly on the first try, you're done with it :)

Oh, and there are certain things you'll want to keep doing pretty much forever - major/minor scales, arpeggios, even chromatic drills are good to run through on a regular basis, but you don't need to do the same ones every day.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thank you for your quick replies!
this clears up a lot of confusion
You know it's hard to fit everthing into your normal life schedule and not to get lost.
So now that I am yet a bit smarter again I better take care of what I'm doing in the future

:D

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote