Skip to content
Woo hoo! Got a new ...

Notifications
Clear all

Woo hoo! Got a new guitar for Christmas.

18 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@tiffany-twisted)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone. I just want to say this site is great.
I am new to this site and new to playing the guitar. I had an old beat up one but I just got a new Gibson acoustic. I've been playing for a few months and I can play a few bits and peices of songs but switching chords is hard. Any suggestions on how to make it easier?
Yeah, I know...practice, practice.

I like Country music and I am not ashamed.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

GIBSON ACOUSTIC ??????????

Damn i am curious...tell us the model and give pics if you can , if your guitar is anything above 1000 $ (of which i am very sure.)

Enjoy your guitar !!! Its a heck of a fun ride :twisted:
And a Good year and happy christmas ,

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Also your avatar is real cool.....HO HO HO ! :lol: (is it real a cat playing or some wonder of our software rendering or so ...:roll:)

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Welcome to GN Tiffany Twisted and congratulations on recieving a Gibson for Christmas. How are you going to top that one :?: The Star of India for your birthday maybe :wink:

As for chord changing, the only thing I can say is keep practising, You will get there I promise.

Now you are a registered member you will be able to use the Easy song database, there are loads of songs that only use 2 or 3 chords in there and once you learn a few of those you will be able and feel confident to move on.

Once again welcome and a happy New Year to you. :D

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN Tiffany Twisted and congratulations on recieving a Gibson for Christmas. How are you going to top that one :?: The Star of India for your birthday maybe :wink:

I don't get you here ?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Tiffany Twisted

Welcome to GuitarNoise and congratulations on the new guitar.

It is difficult for everybody to change chords at first, so don't let that worry you at all, it is perfectly normal.

When learning a new chord I have always found it helpful to simply fret the chord, then raise all my fingers, and slowly place them back down on the chord. You go as slow as you need to go when you do this, don't worry about keeping time. Just do this over and over with the chord you want to learn. You will realize that the chord has a certain "feel". If you do this for a few days the chord will become very natural feeling to you.

And it is the same with chord changes. Fret a chord, slowly lift your fingers and go to the next chord. Then go back to the first chord. Go as slow as you need to go.

You will find that the chord change will become very easy and natural feeling after a little practice. Once you get the feeling, and your muscles memorize their proper positions, you will be able to speed up.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the musical madhouse.

Enjoy the music!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Hi and Welcome.

Finger exercises. Work on doing a one finger one fret thing. start on the low E 1st fret index finger, second fret middle finger, third fret ring finger, four fret pinky. Work your way to the high E string then start back. After you've made it back to the low E move up one fret and do it all again. work you way up the neck covering every fret. They may seem boring to some but they will really make a difference in the long run.

E|--1|--2|--3|--4|---|---
B|--1|--2|--3|--4|---|---
G|--1|--2|--3|--4|---|---
D|--1|--2|--3|--4|---|---
A|--1|--2|--3|--4|---|---

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

Awesome!

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Hi and Welcome.

Finger exercises. Work on doing a one finger one fret thing. start on the low E 1st fret index finger, second fret middle finger, third fret ring finger, four fret pinky. Work your way to the high E string then start back. After you've made it back to the low E move up one fret and do it all again. work you way up the neck covering every fret. They may seem boring to some but they will really make a difference in the long run.

B|--1|--2|--3|--4|---|---
G|--1|--2|--3|--4|---|---
D|--1|--2|--3|--4|---|---
A|--1|--2|--3|--4|---|---

Joe

Welcome to GN!!! Congrats on the new Gibson guitar. The above exercise is great for getting familiar with the fretboard. It also will identify any fret buzz as well as your weaknesses in fingering any note. This will help you get smooth with fingerings and hone your abilities.

Have fun!!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Good to see yet another Twisted one join the ranks here at GN, Welcome!

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

BUT , there has to be a reason to be twisted....what can be hers? :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member

Welcome Tiffany, enjoy your axe!!!!!!!

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

ReplyQuote
(@tim-shull)
Estimable Member

man thats a gift!!! welcome this is a great place tons of knowledge and fun to boot

Cash is cool

ReplyQuote
(@tiffany-twisted)
Topic starter  

I am left handed as well although my guitar is not.

Thanks for the greetings and tips everyone, I will try them. Don't be too impressed with my guitar. It's a Savant, which is a beginners guitar (I got the adult version, not the kiddie one) and it was under $100 on a very very good sale. Still, it is really nice and much better than my old one.

I don't know if the cat is real. It's just a random pic that I thought was hilarious.
Here's the whole thing:

I like Country music and I am not ashamed.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2