Clear all

Wrist pain

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@saber)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, my right wrist, (strumming wrist) has started getting sort of stiff lately and it doesn't hurt too much when I strum, but hurts alot when I try to write.
Have any of ya'll had this?
Is there any sort of remedy?

Thanks. :D

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I have never had that problem with my strumming hand but if your strumming wrist is hurting it means you are tensing up and/or holding it stiff so the only answer is relax.

Off the top of my head that is all I can think of anyways.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

I second that. Relax, relax, relax. Unless your doin hours and hours of playing w/o rest, no part of you body should be in pain (save for your fretting fingers).

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Any kind of pain is wrong, and it looks like you're overdoing it on the guitar work.

Leave the guitar for a couple of days, until you can write without discomfort, and then start back on it gently - you need to build up stamina in your strumming hand and there's no shortcut. After all, you want to be able to sign that multi-million dollar recording contract when it comes, don't you.

Best,

Alan

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Any kind of pain is wrong, and it looks like you're overdoing it on the guitar work.

Leave the guitar for a couple of days, until you can write without discomfort, and then start back on it gently - you need to build up stamina in your strumming hand and there's no shortcut. After all, you want to be able to sign that multi-million dollar recording contract when it comes, don't you.

Best,

Alan

DAMN STAIGHT!!!

I put ice on it last night and took a bunch of advil before I went to sleep and it's feeling alot better. I don't think it was just the guitar. I've had to do a lot of writting to do lately, and I have a history of joint pain, so the guitar was just the extra feather to tip the scale. I'd like to get my sunday song done before next sunday, but I should probably wait a little longer.

Anyway, thanks for the advice ya'll.

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

It may cost some $$$ but as you have a history of joint pain you'd probably find it worthwhile to find a physio with some experience of musical injuries and get their input on warming up and looking after those joints.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

I know when I first started playing just over a year ago , my wrists on both hands would ache , but I just put that down to using muscles in my arms and wrists that have not done anything like playing before .

But never bad enough to have to put ice on them , when they started to ache that was session over for me , then I would try the next day to play longer even if it was only 2 minutes .

I now play/ practice every night for 2 hours ( this is my new religion ) as I woreship my guitars like they are gods .

But honestly if your wrist are getting that sore definely seek medical advise before you damage something , I'm no doctor but I agree with Alan no such thing as good pain .

Hilch :?:

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@sparrow-aka-honor-roller)
Trusted Member

i'd suggest chinese exercise balls. i've started using them in between guitar sessions. i've heard they are amazing for arthritis, so i can only imagine that they'd help the wrists. if you're having pain definitely see a doctor, but these are worth having

ReplyQuote
(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member

I would also think that when strumming try not to use to much wrist action. Most of your pivot should be at the elbow. I know when I use to much wrist movement my playing is more choppy due the pick changing angle. When I pivot more at the elbow my strumming is much more consistent and less tiring.

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well that nagging wrist pain officially turned into the always enjoyable carpul tunel syndrome while I was working on my midterm last night, so I'm off the guitar for a couple days. If it's anything like last time, it should peek and then go down pretty quickly though. And my spring break just started, so I have plenty of time to relax it. Although I was looking foward to the break to finally be able to finish a song.
Oh well.
Thanks for the tips ya'll.

ReplyQuote