Clear all

Yet another string changing question

16 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I was going to take my guitar in to have the strings done but the shop wants $20 plus the cost of the strings, so I've decided to do it myself. Before I do, I'm going to pick up a couple sets of strings. Should I get individual strings while I'm there? And if so, which strings?

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I was going to take my guitar in to have the strings done but the shop wants $20 plus the cost of the strings, so I've decided to do it myself. Before I do, I'm going to pick up a couple sets of strings. Should I get individual strings while I'm there? And if so, which strings?
I don't tend to pick up extra loose strings. I usually keep a few new sets in the bag and one old set. The old set is just in case I need a single string. When I change strings I keep the old set that seems to be in the best shape.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

When I change strings I keep the old set that seems to be in the best shape.

Yeah but you can only do this if you don't clip off the ends right? (ends being the excess wire running through the tuning pegs).

Personally I don't like having WHISKERS on my guitar, but thats just me. :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

When I change strings I keep the old set that seems to be in the best shape.

Yeah but you can only do this if you don't clip off the ends right? (ends being the excess wire running through the tuning pegs).

Personally I don't like having WHISKERS on my guitar, but thats just me. :)
When I remove them I try to preserve the little bit that is through and wrapped around the tuning post. That is enough to get them back on in a pinch. And no, I don't leave extra on there when I put new strings on cause I don't like the whiskers either.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Ok thank you. Saves me money. I was just worried about breaking the string while trying to put it in.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Ok thank you. Saves me money. I was just worried about breaking the string while trying to put it in.
One solid reason for not cutting the old strings off. Can always put it back on if you break one.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well I managed to change the strings, without breaking any. Though I think I got it wound loose.........and backwards. I left the 'whiskers' on for now, I'll cut them off once I'm convinced those strings aren't going anywhere. There is a huge difference in sound now, everything on my old strings sounded flat but these sound sharp.......or twangy, not sure which. The strings seem kinda loose, well not loose, but like they are vibrating more or something. Think that will go away once they break in, along with having to tune it everytime I pick it up. But for a first string change, it went really well, and I saved 20 dollars!

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Congrats. That is always a big step. Sounding sharper is normal for new strings. They will flatten out after a little playing.

If it helps you there are some graphics on my web site under "stringing" that shows which way the string get wound so check it out.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Yes, Congrats, thats a big deal the first time you do it. I remember that. :)

I remember doing my accoustic alot, cuz I played it alot more than my electric when I first started... it was a sitting on the couch kinda thing. Anyway I got to the point of changing strings every week, cuz I liked the new string sound. Now I'm not so much there, I like em broken in just a bit now so its every other week it gets new strings... LOL :)

Also don't forget to Pull/Tug Gently on the strings, (Fret the first Fret and Pull up from the 12th Fret) then retune em, you may need to do this a few times before they'll stay in tune. Just be gentle with the "B" and High E strings. :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Nice one! :D

Like Nils, I keep the best old set as spares, but I've not needed them yet. The thinnest string is probably the one that gets busted the most, so if you want to keep one new one, that could be the one. I just keep a whole new set in reserve and replace it each time.

Somebody who was showing me how to bend once said "give it heaps, push it right up, you won't break it". They did a nice big show off demo - and promptly broke the high E! Very hard to look serious and not laugh.... :wink:

When I restring I always leave an extra inch or two of "whiskers" until I'm satisfied that it's all settled and snug, then I snip the rest off. If you're not sure, an inch or so is easy to bend down out the way, and will give a bit of "insurance" the first few times.

Great job tackling it yourself. 8)

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the encouragement all. I snipped the whiskers off. The windings aren't as tight as i want them but I went over and under and every which way to make sure they won't move. Now I just have to remember that the tuners are reversed since I wound them up backwards.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Thanks for the encouragement all. I snipped the whiskers off. The windings aren't as tight as i want them but I went over and under and every which way to make sure they won't move. Now I just have to remember that the tuners are reversed since I wound them up back wards.
No harm in unwinding them and rewinding them in the correct direction. Just hold the string and pull it back as you rewind to keep tension on it and guide it below itself. Actually a good idea so they will stay in tune better.

Still great you got through the first time without breaking one.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Good job, OWA!!! I agree with Nils that you could unwind and rewind the correct direction. Then you can say you've done it all and you're an old pro now. :wink:

However, you guys are missing out.

If you play live and use a PA system you should leave the "whiskers" on.

Be sure that when you play live that you have the polarities crossed from the PA to your AMP. Not only will you feel the jolt but the light show is cool when the "whiskers" touch the microphone.

I bet Wes may have found that while playing with ungrounded outlets.

:shock: OK, who said shut up and sign out? :x :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Another congrats!!!

I still feel like a sucker for paying $25 to have strings changed. :oops:

Didn't learn anything either, except that I tossed $25.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I was going to take it to another shop which charged $15 but they wouldn't let me watch so I decided to do it myself. Amazed I didn't break any strings, figured I'd break the high e string or the b string but didn't.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2