Clear all

You know its time to walk away when...

15 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Talk about having a bad day with my guitar, here's what's happened to me in the last hour. I go to put new strings on after getting a set-up. The pins are in too tight, so I go to the shop and have them fix that. Come home to finish, can't get any f'n string in tune, and I can't get the b and e strings off because the tech used some locking method I can't undo. So, I get to go look like an idiot at the shop AGAIN. I seriously must be semi-retarded or something. I've never once, in over a year of playing, been able to change strings myself. There's always some problem.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

(@hawken)
Trusted Member

Yeah...changing strings gets easier with practice. After a year you should be doing it pretty good though. Got any friends who could help you with this?

A little trick for getting those bridge pins out.....disconnect the string from the tuning peg at the head of the guitar, grip the string (with needle nose pliers) about 1/4 inch up from where it goes into the bridge and push the string into the body of the guitar. This takes tension off the pin that was there due to the way strings are wrapped near the base.

Check this out (from http://www.frets.com a great site that has some tips on restringing in addition to lots of other helpful stuff)
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/SteelStrings/PullPin/pullpin.html

Don't get too frustrated....things take time and lots of effort will be rewarded with better playing and easier restringings.

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

When I went to the shop, the guy working looked at the pins and even said "f***, how'd he get them in that far?" The tech had trouble getting them out. Then he had to use a tool to unlock the strings. It was bad. He said he hates how the other tech does it because it always causes problems.

Usually, I just end up breaking a string and getting frustrated, then having someone else do it.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Curiosity: Where are you taking this guitar to get it fixed?

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Wire snips and needle nosed pliers are always handy. And no quitar string has yet withstood persistent attacks with them.

Truly, I'm about as mechanically hopeless as one can be, my uncle dispairs whenever I try to tighten a couple of screws.
But even I can just about change strings :) .

Get a couple of packs of strings, a pitch reference from somewhere and use a chromatic tuner. Be patient, don't give up, it is possible!

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Curiosity: Where are you taking this guitar to get it fixed?

The shop where I bought it. Its the only reputable place within an hour of here, and even then they're not that great.

But they do all maitenance for free on gear bought there, so that's nice.

ReplyQuote
(@shibby)
Estimable Member

This video helped me change my strings until I got the hang of it. http://www.daddariostrings.com/DADMultimedia.aspx?VideoID=1190

You have to click on product demos then it shows up in the box below.

ReplyQuote
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

Don't walk away, just take your time. I had a few changes like your talking about. Just sit back laugh at it, if you can, and start again. I can change them now with no mistakes, and no broken strings. I even busted the 6th string on my classical guitar. When I went to buy new string for that one the tech couldn't believe I tightened enough to break the sixth string.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

loosen the strings, cut them off, get a dime. Reach into the soundhole and push the pins up with the dime one at a time.

Bridge pins DO NOT HOLD THE STRINGS IN. Don't apply pressure to them when you string. Just seat them in.

The pins just hold the ball end of the string in place against the bridge plate. String tension holds the strings in place.

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

loosen the strings, cut them off, get a dime. Reach into the soundhole and push the pins up with the dime one at a time.

Bridge pins DO NOT HOLD THE STRINGS IN. Don't apply pressure to them when you string. Just seat them in.

The pins just hold the ball end of the string in place against the bridge plate. String tension holds the strings in place.

I know the pins just hold the strings in...Im just not sure the tech does.

And, if that's the case, then why have I sent a pin flying with enough force to leave a dent in my wall? (I wish I was kidding).

ReplyQuote
(@tamuka)
Eminent Member

The first time I changed strings, it took me about 70 minutes even though I had pretty good instructions right in front of me. Now, 2 years later, give me 15-20 mins and I'm done. Pliers/pinchers come in handy for clipping strings and pulling pins out. Just like playing the guitar itself, practice makes you better.

ReplyQuote
(@itziks)
Estimable Member

same here

I once tuned my guitar an octave lower. Then tuned it an octave higher and broke 2 strings at once.

My takamine guitar is acoustic and doesn't use pins - I has a split sadle. and there are holes at the bridge - you just slip the string through it all the way.
then to get them out - I loose the string at the tuning machine and with plier cut the string in two.

ReplyQuote
(@olive)
Estimable Member

Another string changing tutorial:

http://www.taylorguitars.com/news/community/woodandsteel.html

Scroll down and select "Changing Your Steel Strings". There are some really nice color photos and clear illustrations.

Don't give up! You'll figure out how to change those strings!

"My ex-boyfriend can't tell me I've sold out, because he's in a cult, and he's not allowed to talk to me." --Dar Williams

ReplyQuote
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

I use my favorite string changing tool: Kronus switch-grip pliers.

10 bucks out the door at your local Radio Shack. Has both needlenose pliers and a diagonal wire cutter, all you do is flip the handles around one way or the other. I absolutely love mine, sursprisingly good quality for the price, and small enough to fit in a guitar case's storage compartment.

Also, if you don't have one, get a $2 string winder that has a pin-puller notch cut out of it. You won't regret it.
(edit) The dime trick sounds better though, I'll have to try that. :D

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

That article on the Taylor website is great.

Changing strings takes practice. I change strings about every 3-5 weeks depending on how much I've been playing and what the strings sound like. There is just something about the feel and sound of a new set that I love. And even after 18 months and numerous sets I still get pricked somewhere on my hands each time. If I'm not bleeding it is a successful string change.

But seriously, you need to learn to change them yourself. Otherwise the guys at the guitar store will start laughing behind your back.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote