48 Users
0 Likes
10 K Views
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

First strumming song, "Country Roads" John Denver

First fingerpicker, "Blackbird" The Beatles

First "Lead" or flatpicker, Walk, Don't Run" The Ventures

It took six months then my guitar teacher went MIA!
Yep, back in the seventies!

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

My first song was "Dust in the wind".

ReplyQuote
(@saryu)
Trusted Member

The first complicated song that involved more than just strumming learned was "wanted dead or alive" - the intro was difficult and I learned that first, then later I learned all the arpeggiations of the verses and chorus. Being a Bon Jovi fan I think my first song was probably "ride cowboy ride" because it only has 4 chords (G, Em, C, D - hardly very original lol). I recall playing the "Monster Mash" a lot in the early days too :P

ReplyQuote
(@fingerbanger)
Eminent Member

In 1969, I was a very young and budding guitar player easily influenced by older guitar players, the guitar gods of my youth! ( anyone 15 or older who could play more than 3 chords ). One in particular was my friends older brother. He showed me the rhythm part to a very simple instumental called "Groovy Grubworm" by Harlow Wilcox & The Oakies!(on the Plantation lable for all you Rockabilly collectors). If you could play this song, it put you up there in the Jr. guitar god catagory. Trust me.

Let that boy boogie woogie, cuz' it in em' and it got to come out. -John Lee Hooker-
There is no substitute for experience. So get out there and break some strings on stage. -F.B.-

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

"For what's it Worth" - a David Hodge lesson.

"Happy Christmas" - another David Hodge lesson. As a matter of fact, I have to go back and relearn this. I've forgotten some of the walkdowns and chords.

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

My very first was Hey Joe.

After one night of learning my first 5 chords, I musta sounded terrific the next day... My poor parents.......

ReplyQuote
(@tim-shull)
Estimable Member

some easy ones i have learned if your in to country at all, rambling fever-merle haggard G-C-D kenny chesney "anything but mine" A-D-E-E7 johnny cash folsom prison blues E-A-B7 lots of cash tunes in this key john prine "picture show"G-C-D

Cash is cool

ReplyQuote
(@disposable-hero)

My first song was "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica, at first just fingerpicking the open strings, then I soon realised that to play the rest of the song I would have to learn lots of things that were alien to me at the time such as open chords, hammer ons, pull offs, arpeggios etc, I would say it probably took me about 2-3 months to put together a fairly decent sounding version.

ReplyQuote
(@tim-shull)
Estimable Member

kenny chesney "anything but mine" A-D-E-E7 correction that would be E-A-B sorry i had a brain lock.. also anybody into country at all should check out http://www.cowboylyrics.com tons of tabs chords and lyrics for free..

Cash is cool

ReplyQuote
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member

I think mine was "Wild Thing" as well. House of the Rising Sun by the Animals was what broke me into barre chords. :)

Rob

If something's not worth doing it's worth forgetting about.
Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five
http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline

ReplyQuote
(@jerboa)
Estimable Member

I played around with the early lessons on this site. The first song I made it all the way through, strumming a decent rhythm, and singing along was "Brown Eyed Girl"

There are two kinds of people in this world:
Those who think there are two kinds of people in this world, and those who don't

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Mine was 'Take me home country roads' by John Denver. Still love playing it. It gets me going like nothing else. :D

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

First thing i ever learned to play was seven nation army by the white stripes, just with one finger first, then power chords, now i can play it 4 or 5 different ways.

The first full song with real chords i learend was only a few weeks ago, the end of december, and it was 'Blessed be your name' by Matt Redman. Its quite easy, general rock strumming, just down! With the chords A,E, Fm7 and D2. All of those i found simple to change between straight away, and have mastered the 'lift mute' (If somone knows the correct name for the technique please tell me) then back down again, even though theyre open chords it still sounds good, some people play it by strumming soft then hard on the beat but it sounds the same if you do the 'lift mute'.

David

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

"Stand By Me" - G, Em, C and D. They were the four chords I could play well at the time! I was also learning slide - well, teaching myself! Someone had shown me how to tune to open G, so I learned the solo as well. Also learned the slide part to Nazareth's "Child In The Sun" at the same time!

My advice? Learn G, Em, C and D and buy a capo!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Mine was Nirvana's About a Girl, and just the verse at that :)
Nothing Ever Happens

by Del Amitri

Wow, way to pick 'em ;) That's a bugger of a rhythm to start out with...

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4