Clear all

Your First Song?

50 Posts
48 Users
0 Likes
10 K Views
(@jmh1819)
Eminent Member

I learned the chords to Bolvard of broken Dreams by Green Day. I just played the chords so it was pretty easy, just do 2 downstrums per note. Also all nirvana songs are pretty easy, i think a standard first song is Smells like Teen Spirt. I know alot of people that started on that one. The hardest part of finding an easy song to play is to find a song with a really simple rhythm that you can hear on the recording.

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

The first whole song I learned was Horse with No Name from the lesson here. :)
The second was Tequila Sunrise by the Eagles. A friend helped me out with that one. It's been a long time since I played it though, so I need to go back and revisit it.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

Mine was "hurt" by Johny Cash it got me into the F chord and after I read Davids lesson on it it got me into finger picking to! :D

ReplyQuote
 Glee
(@glee)
Estimable Member

ode to joy (reading music), who'll stop the rain chords... at least it resembled who'll stop the rain.

Tim

ReplyQuote
(@eadgber)
Trusted Member

If you want to start some lead style practice with the chord practice, Lookup Mark Knopfler Tab.

I started with his soundtrack work.They are not excatly rock n roll but easy & nice lil songs. "Sons of Scotland" "American Hero" <--easy."Theme from Local Hero" <- little harder,(but look the tab up and start where he slides up from 2 to 11 on the G.)

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

My first song was "Wind Cries Mary" by Jimi Hendrix. I could play songs before this (like Wild Thing)...but I never really bothered to truly LEARN a song until I learned Wind Cries Mary.

ReplyQuote
(@frosk)
Trusted Member

I started out with house of the rising sun, but when I found that too hard, i learned dresden dolls' coin operated boy

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YAnyYTjjhJ0

it's nice and mechanic

ReplyQuote
(@henrik)
Trusted Member

I think my first song was Sweet Home Alabama with straight strumming, then a little while later i learned it with picking the bass note.

ReplyQuote
(@chief5286)

I've been playing for about 10 months or so. Still a LONG way to go.

The first song that I really learned and got good at playing was Scarborough Fair from this site's intermediate page. That's still one of my favorite songs, and definitely one of my favorite songs to play.

Other songs I've learned/am learning completely include:
House of the rising sun
Hurt
Losing my religion
Margaritaville
The Humours of Tulla
Smoke on the water (sans solo)

That's in addition to learning parts of other songs, like:
Fast as You
Friends in Low Places
All appologies
Enter Sandman
The one
Jessica

For some reason, I keep going back to Scarborough Fair. I think I just like the song a lot.

ReplyQuote
 Noff
(@noff)
Estimable Member

First song I was actually able to play along to the recording with, as well as my first to play and sing with was Social Distortion - Angel's Wings.

Now if only I could sing it halfway as good as Mike Ness does it...

ReplyQuote
(@markthechuck)
Reputable Member

I've been playing foe a couple of months, Half the world away (oasis) and time of your life (greenday) and also One (u2) is a good one look on the easy song database it's very helpfull as is everyone on the forum..Kepp playing it only gets more fun. :D

A knock back is the beginning of a comeback!!!

ReplyQuote
(@rbt36)

My first song was "Hang" by matchbox 20. G, Cadd9, D, Em7. Pretty easy and an awesome song.

ReplyQuote
(@dommy09)
Trusted Member

i can barely remember the first whole song i learnt!

it was probably something like holy grail by hunters and collectors 8)

"We all have always shared a common belief that music is meant to be played as loud as possible, really raw and raunchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." -Bon Scott

ReplyQuote
(@mnswede)

The Cowboy Junkies' cover of Sweet Jane. I still find myself playing around with it without even thinking.

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

I was looking through this topic and had to laugh at myself. There are a few songs listed that I never would have even attempted. My first song was 'The Crawdad Song', and I struggled through that one. Of course once I'd mastered 'Salty Dog', I knew I was destined for greatness!

Denny

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4