Because - Dave Clark Five

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 shug
(@shug)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Looks like the ESD is lacking DC5 material . . . It's my impression the DC5 were bigger in America than they were in their native England. During the 1st and 2nd waves of the British Invasion, they certainly had their share of hits with the "2-minute pop song". (I recall they hold the record for most pop appearances on the Ed Sullivan show as well.) Unfortunately, a poor publicity gimmick pitted the DC5 against the Beatles in a "battle of the bands" . . . and you know who is going to win that matchup 10 times out of 10!!!

Being a huge Beatles fan, I still appreciated many of the songs of the DC5 (and it's a pretty large body of work). One of my favorites was their ballad "Because". (Not to be confused with the Beatles' song of the same name.) The chords are beautiful, and somewhat surprisingly, not as difficult as you might think on first glance. An explanation of the chords is included at the end of the song.

I hope you enjoy playing it.

Because - Dave Clark Five
Strum: D DU UDU

Intro: G G+ G6 G+
/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /

Verse 1:

G G+ G6 G7
It's right that I should think about you
Am D D+
And try to make you happy when you're blue
G G+ C Cm
It's right, it's right to feel the way I do
G Am D7 G G7
Because, because I love you

Bridge:

Am D G Em
It's wrong to say I don't think of you
Am D
'Cause when you say these things
A7 D D+
You know it makes me blue

Verse 2:

G G+ G6 G7
Give me one kiss and I'll be hap-py
Am D D+
Just, just to be with you
G G+ C Cm
Give me, give me, a chance to be near you
G Am D7 G [2: Eb D] [3: E7 to Coda]

Organ solo:

G G+ G6 G7
Am D G Eb D

Verse 3: Repeat Verse 2

Coda:

Am D7 G G6/9

“Special” Chords (assumes G chord is formed with imr)

G+: xx1003 From G position, keep r anchored; lift m&i while
moving i to 4th string 1st fret

G6: 320000 Just a modified G (lift r)

D+: xx0332 Aways comes after D chord. Just add pinky to 3rd
string, 3rd fret

Eb: xx5343 Think of as a D-shape on 3rd fret with pinky added
to 4th string, 5th fret. (or just play the eBG
as a triad)

E7: 022130 Or 020100

G6/9: 320030 Love this sound

"Music hath charms to soothe a savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak."

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Well I have to admit - I don't know this song! However, Dave Clark & Co were pretty big over this side of the pond - both "Bits And Pieces" and "Glad All Over" hit the #1 slot, whilst "Do You Love Me" (yes, the one from "Dirty Dancing!") was top 10 as well, but probably suffered from being released at the same time as a cover version by Brian Poole and the Tremelos which also went top 10.

Dave Clark, by the way, owns the rights to "Ready Steady Go" so if you're reading this, Mr Clark Sir, how about a series of repeats? Last time a few shows were aired was waaay back in the 80's....

Anyway, Shug, like I said I don't know this one....but thanks anyway for Help and Day Tripper - always good to have someone else around who cares about the golden age of pop music!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 shug
(@shug)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Vic . . . I remember those songs very well (although I was a pup at the time :lol: ) Anyway, try this clip. Rather poor sound quality, but it catches the feel of the times and the rhythm of the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSD1gdpPUSA

Sounds pretty good on an acoustic. DC5 had a couple more ballads I'll try to post in the coming days. No one probably knows them either, but it brings back memories and they are nice little songs.

BTW, I guess Dave Clark is quite the businessman, owning all the DC5 songrights, various real estate holdings, etc. Didn't know about Ready Steady Go. I've heard about that show from way back in the day, but have never seen it. Knew the Beatles performed on it. I guess it was like Shindig or Hullabaloo which we had on here in the States. Thanks again.

"Music hath charms to soothe a savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak."

ReplyQuote