Clear all

Beethoven, Ludwig Van--Ode To Joy

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@yournightmare)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

This is a fingerstyle version of Ode To Joy. Granted, it probably doesn't qualify as "easy," but I think it's a lot easier than it might look at first. The picking hand does almost the same thing throughout the song--pinch two stings, pick the open G, pick two strings, pick open G, etc. I haven't been playing that long, and I picked this song right up (by that I mean practicing it about 10-15 minutes a day for a few days). If you've done any fingerpicking/classical playing, this should be fairly easy. If you've never played fingerstyle or classical, this really isn't a bad song to start with, even though it may look complicated at first. Sorry if this doesn't qualify as "easy," but it's one of the easiest songs I know that isn't already on this site! For some reason, from the minute I first picked up a guitar all I've done is play fingerstyle, so all the songs I know are fingerstyle. I just recently started learning strummy songs, but all the ones I know I learned from this site (thanks, btw). So I just wanted to contribute back this site!

Hope you guys like it.
S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S
E||----------------------------------|----------------------------------|
B||----------------------------------|----------------------------------|
G||----0---0---0---0---0---0---0---0-|----0---0---0---0---0---0---0---0-|
D||------2-------2-------3-------3---|------2-------2-------3-------3---|
A||--3-------3-------3-------3-------|--3-------3-------3-------3-------|
E||----------------------------------|----------------------------------|

--0---0---1---3---3---1---0-------|--------------0---0---------------|
------------------------------3---|--1---1---3-------------3-3-------|
----0---0---0---0---0---0---0---0-|----0---0---0---0---0-------0---0-|
------2-------2-------0-------0---|------2-------2-------0-------0---|
--3-------3-------2-------2-------|--0-------0-----------------------|
----------------------------------|------------------3-------3-------|

--0---0---1---3---3---1---0-------|--------------0-------------------|
------------------------------3---|--1---1---3-------3-----1-1-------|
----0---0---0---0---0---0---0---0-|----0---0---0---0---0-------0---0-|
------2-------2-------0-------0---|------2-------2-------0-------2---|
--3-------3-------2-------2-------|--0-------0---------------3-------|
----------------------------------|------------------3---------------|

S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S E E Q
----------0-----------0-1-0-------|------0-1-0------------------|
--3---3-------1---3-----------1---|--3-----------3---1--3-------|
----0---0---0---0---0-------0---0-|----0-------1---1-2--2--0----|
------0-------2---------------2---|------------------2--0--0----|
--2-------3-------2-------3-------|--2---------------0----------|
----------------------------------|----------0----------2--3----|

S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S Q
--0---0---1---3---3---1---0-------|--------------0----------------||
------------------------------3---|--1---1---3-------3-----1-1----||
----0---0---0---0---0---0---0---0-|----0---0---0---0---0-----0----||
------2-------2-------0-------0---|------2-------2-------0---2----||
--3---------------2-------2-------|--0-------0---------------3----||
----------3-----------------------|------------------3------------||

Duration Legend
---------------
W - whole
H - half
Q - quarter
E - 8th
S - 16th
T - 32nd
X - 64th

(@yournightmare)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Forgot to add that once you get your fretting hand well sorted out, it doesn't even move all that much. For example, for the opening 2 measures I use a C-shape with my fretting hand (minus the index finger) and fret the D string at the 3rd fret with my pinky, so that my ring and middle fingers never move. Then in measure 3, keep the C shape for the first beat(1-ee-&-uh), using your index finger to fret the e string 1st fret, then using your pinky on the e string 3rd fret, then just move your middle finger up from the D string 2nd fret to the A string 2nd fret for beat 3. You'll see what I mean you when you play it. And, I always use my pinky for anything on the 3rd fret for strings B and e.

One more thing. Look at the 3rd measure from the end, just before the Am chord (if you don't recognize the Am, just look for the first E at the top of the tab--it goes SSSSSSSEEQ or whatever). Anyway, the three notes immediately preceding the Am are are G#, D, G#. I don't think the two G#'s sound right, so I just play the D (B string, 3rd fret).

ReplyQuote
 shug
(@shug)
Reputable Member

Thanks "yournightmare". I'm more of a "strummy" player, but have been trying more and more fingerstyle songs. So, I'm really excited to see your post and will start working on it immediately! Please feel free to post more fingerstyle songs! This is a great site, but that is one area that is a little lacking here. Good post.

Shug (Doug)

"Music hath charms to soothe a savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak."

ReplyQuote
(@yournightmare)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

37 views and only one comment? Can you guys give me some feedback about this song? Would you like to see more of this kind of thing? Is it too difficult? I would like to contribute more, but only if you guys like it!

Thanks, shug, I hope you enjoy playing it!

ReplyQuote
 Noff
(@noff)
Estimable Member

I'm really enjoying this, because I'm definitely more of a 'strummy' player... A song I can play and sing perfectly during the strumming parts will stop me dead in my tracks if they throw in a few arpeggios, that's how much I need to work on my fingerpicking.

ReplyQuote
(@henrik)
Trusted Member

I'll try this one though I'm not particurlarly good at fingerpicking, quite poor at it actually. I'll give it a shot though even though I've have a hell of a lot easier with strumming songs

ReplyQuote
(@mikeo)
Trusted Member

Thanks. I had figured out the melody line by ear when I first started playing. I was looking for the chords. Great job!

"Da*n your bolt-brained bearings!" Rod Gallowglass to his faithful, epileptic robot, Fess.

"As you wander through life, wherever you go, keep your eye on the donut and not on the hole." -- Paul Osteen (brother of Joel Osteen)

ReplyQuote
(@yournightmare)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

MikeO, I had a hard time finding a more full arrangement of Ode to Joy. All I could find for the longest time was only the melody, and it sounded so boring. I was so excited when I came across this.

You guys that say you're not good at fingerpicking--DON'T GIVE UP!!! The fret-hand fingering for most of this song should be shapes you are familiar with, and the picking-hand pattern just takes a little practice.

Also, if you're new to fingerpicking, one of the best things you can do is use your thumb for the 4th, 5th, and 6th strings, index for the 3rd, middle for the 2nd, and ring for the 1st. Get in the habit of keeping your index, middle, and ring fingers hovering over their respective strings. Once that gets ingrained in your head, when you see you have to pluck the 2nd string, your middle finger will just automatically do it--no thinking at all!

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

37 views and only one comment? Can you guys give me some feedback about this song? Would you like to see more of this kind of thing? Is it too difficult? I would like to contribute more, but only if you guys like it!

Don't get me wrong or take this the wrong way, it's nice to know when your hard work is acknowledged and appreciated but, some people don't like posting, "cool stuff, thanks man!". Personally, I'd rather not thumb through 10 pages of praise to get to a question I might be able to help with anyway.

In short, they'll let you know if you're off or too difficult. Not that I wouldn't put it in because it's "too difficult" anyway, remember, you're on an international site and what one may find difficult, may be easy to someone else.

And just think, you have an entry in the best guitar site on the .net. 8) Walk proud! :D

Keep them coming!!! 8)

ReplyQuote