Notifications
Clear all

Bowie's Starman or Moonage Daydream?

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@marie)
Topic starter  

Hi. I'm a bit new to Guitarnoise, I've worked through quite a few of the lessons & they've been really helpful (thanks David!).
Anyways, I was hoping for some advice on working through Bowie's Moonage Daydream song. It seems like it'd be easy (except for the solo), but I'm not sure about the strumming. I really just want to play the intro. Do you think this would be a bit of challenge?
The other Bowie song that I've been trying to figure out is Starman, but it seems like it'd be a bit more difficult ... any help would be greatly appreciated.

(@saber)
Reputable Member

I havn't heard any of those songs yet. But there's a great post about his Space Oditty on the next page.

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Haven't heard Moonage Daydream for a while - have to dig that one out and give it a play. Mick Ronson did a version of MD on his first solo album, Slaughter on 7th Avenue....didn't go down too well with the critics, but I thought it was OK....

Starman, though, I was messing about with the other night, seems straightforward enough, but again I'll have to dig out a recording, see what key it's in....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rjn24601)

I have been working on Starman for a while now- quite a few bar chords make it a little more difficult. Plus some fast changes. But a GREAT song!

ReplyQuote
(@fingersnfumbs)
Eminent Member

just starting working on Starman too, managed to pick up a book with the chords in at the weekend.

just got to get the strumming nailed. not sure on the pattern for the sequence from F, Ab, Bb after "lotta soul" it sounds easy enough but I can't replicate it

ReplyQuote
(@rjn24601)

I hear ya', that one is tough for me as well. I have the rhythm pretty good- at least it sounds good to me. Just making the changing quickly and cleanly is the difficult part! But hey, we're making progress!

The rhythm I use for that little shift right after "lotta soul he said" is like so:

___F_____A___B
1__&__2___3___4
D__U _D___D___D

Then back to Gm for the start of the next verse. Hope that helps a little.

ReplyQuote
(@fingersnfumbs)
Eminent Member

thanks for that, got the intro and verse nailed

now the chorus thats summat else

ReplyQuote