Bruce Springsteen - Glory Days

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

As promised to Roy Parker another Springsteen classic:

INTRO: A / D A D / G D A / D A D / G A...

VERSE 1:

A D
I had a friend was a big baseball player

A D
back in high school

A D
He could throw that speedball by you

A D
Make you look like a fool boy

E
Saw him the other night at this roadside bar

D
I was walking in and he was walking out

E
We went back inside sat down, had a few drinks,

D E
but all he kept talking about was

CHORUS:

A D
Glory days well they'll pass you by

A D
Glory days in the wink of a young girl's eye

A E A D
Glory days, glory days

BRIDGE: E / A E E / A E D / G D E

VERSE 2:

A D
There's a girl that lives up the block

A D
Back in school she could turn all the boys' heads

A D
Sometimes on a Friday I'll stop by and have a few drinks

A D
after she put her kids to bed

E
Her and her husband Bobby well they split up

D
I guess it's two years gone by now

E
We just sit around talking about the old times,

D E
she says when she feels like crying she starts laughing thinking about

CHORUS

E (x2) D E

(Palm Mute)

VERSE 3:

A D
Think I'm going down to the well tonight

A D
and I'm going to drink till I get my fill

A D
And I hope when I get old I don't sit around thinking about it

A D
but I probably will

E
Yeah, just sitting back trying to recapture

D
a little of the glory of,

E
but time slips away and leaves you with nothing mister but

D E
boring stories of

CHORUS x2

A D (repeat)
Youtube Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsEkhy7fGLw

fantastic stuff! if this dosn't motivate you to get that axe out , nothing will!!!

Enjoy it everybody

All the best,

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Man, chris, Rock & Roll don't get much more pure than that. Good stuff. The song was on my list to give a go at, but I will try after I get home from a morning appt. We've got this, Darlington County and David Hodge's beginners' lesson on Fire. Talk about three fun songs. Especially "Fire" done Elmer Fudd style. ".....Oh Womeo and Juwiet.....Samson and Dewiwah" and of course, later on "......fiwah" :lol: :lol:

I'm a simple man.

Thanks for this, Chris.

I've got single guitar worked out for "Adam Raised A Cain" if anyone's interested. It's a little obscure. Comes from the "Darkness On The Edge Of Town" album, which was arguably his hardest rocking album. (He was a little mad at the recording business those days) Accoustic is so so, but do a just little gain or over drive on an electric and it sounds really good.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Glad you like it Roy,

I have to confess to just cutting and pasting this tab up from two in-complete versions I found onto the site as I couldn't find a complete tab anywhere for it. So I hope it's ok as I haven't really tried it out myself. But it seems ok when played in my head if you see what I mean.

Yeah! I've really started to appreciate Bruce Springsteen over the past few years especially after hearing "The Rising" album. I've now obtained "The Seeger Sessions" and "Magic". Great albums in my humble opinion!

Bruce just seems to be one of those guys with no pretensions or hangups about fame or what he is, or does, and I like that. He just comes over as your "Mr average guy" who loves what he does.

All the best,

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, his 3 hour shows are legendary. Blue collar kind of guy. His music struck a chord with kids and young adults in the northeastern U.S. like no other.

I always thought his songs were tough to do in a single guitar arrangement as far as getting the feel and rhythm down. I mean, he's got this whole band behind him and all laying down the groove.

I just gave this a whirl and found myself trying out about 3 or 4 different rhythm patterns along with some use of percussive muting. It's getting there.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Good on you Roy,

Keep at it!

I'm practicing/jamming with my brother Rodders at his place tonight so I think I'll try and talk him into trying this out and your offering "Darlington County" as well.

We are trying to work out a set we can do together at open mics, it's hard work but fun especially as we both have common and different musical tastes from each other.

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@steves)
Estimable Member

Roy,

I am a huge Springsteen fan and the lack of Bruce material on the ESD has always surprised me. I would love it if you posted Adam Raised A Cain. A little obscure, but a great song. Totally rocks live.

Also, you and Chris have motivated me to finally finish my Born to Run tab that has been sitting on my PC half finished for about 2 years now. I've yet to post a tab here and this would be my first. I've got it all on paper and just need to type it up.

Bruce and the band are heading back out on tour this spring and summer. They are still in top form. I saw them twice on the last tour and Bruce still cranks it out for three hours - only one hour less than the first time I saw him in 1980 on the River tour. Catch a show if you can. All tour info can be found on backstreets.net

Steve

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Hey Steve, I'll posted it just now. Can't wait to see your Born To Run creation.

Chris, how'd it go tonight? Get to jam out some Springsteen?

Roy

ReplyQuote