Clear all

Can't Get It Out of My Head- ELO

13 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Here is a super simple, but beautiful song by Jeff Lynne of Electric Light Orchestra. All the chords are simple open chords, except I would use barre chords on the instrumental F, G, G# Bb chord climb.

Here is a great video of the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA2tFGXiM0s

Can't Get It Out Of My Head- Electric Light Orchestra

Intro: C G F G X 2

C Am
Midnight, on the water,
C Am
I saw, the ocean's daughter,
F Dm
Walking on a wave she came,
F Am G
Staring as she called my name.

CHORUS
C G F G
and I can't get it out of my head,
C G F G
No I can't get it out of my head.
C G F G
Now my old world is gone for dead,
C G F G
'Cos I can't get it out of my head, no no no

C Am
Breakdown, on the shoreline,
C Am
Can't move, it's an ebbtide,
F Dm
Morning don't get here tonight,
F Am G
Searching for her silver light.

CHORUS

Instrumental

C CMaj7 C7 F G
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & (X 4) then…
G# Bb C
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &

C Am
Bank job, in the city,
C
Robin Hood and William Tell and Ivanhoe and Lancelot,
Am
They don't envy me,
F Dm
Sitting til the sun goes down,
F Am G
In dreams the world keeps going round and round.

CHORUS x 2

Repeat Instrumental (play first section only once) and end on C Major chord

That's it, pretty easy. Hope you enjoy.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

thanx Wes, i actually searched this on the web a few weeks ago, boy did i have the lyrics wrong back in high school :oops:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well, you see quite a few different lyrics for this song. For instance, on the 3rd line many lyrics say "waves's chicane". Chicane means trickery, doesn't make much sense to me, but perhaps those are the real words. I always heard she came.

Also, where it says Morning don't get here tonight, I think it really should say Morning don't get here till night. But I got these lyrics off a lyric site. Who knows for sure? :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Nice one Wes,
What a great group ELO were I particularly like Mr Blue Sky which always cheers me up when I hear it and also Wild West Hero with its change of style halfway through.
Oh and I can just about drum along to Don't Bring Me Down and keep up with it. :D

Nice one for the Easy Song database. :wink:

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Thanks Wes. I gave this a spin last night.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Hi Wes. Have you ever posted your guitar part to this song anywhere? I think I'm getting the instrumental near tollerable, but would not mind hearing soemone elses'. Been a fun one to play. Expecially the third verse. Never when someone else is in the house though. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Darn it.
The link was removed by YouTube.
Something about "terms of use violation."
What was the name of the ELO song?
I'll look for it elsewhere.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Can't Get It Out Of My Head? (I might be missing something)

I remember the instrumental from the recording, but it had drums and bass and whatnot in it. I was trying to make it sound decent just out of my guitar. I know, I know. Good Luck, right? :lol: :lol:

Roy

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Can't Get It Out Of My Head? (I might be missing something)

Doh!
(I haven't had my coffee yet)
But I found the song and downloaded it
and found the lyrics here: http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Ca n't-Get-It-Out-Of-My-Head-lyrics-Electric-Light-Orchestra/1371EC72941334B048256AB8000B08A9

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Ken

Here is the original song on YouTube, they are lip-syncing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPlD8mrVHeg

I find it best to right-click on these links, then click "Open in New Window" Then you can reduce that page, listen to the song and play along with the music here.
Hi Wes. Have you ever posted your guitar part to this song anywhere? I think I'm getting the instrumental near tollerable, but would not mind hearing soemone elses'. Been a fun one to play. Expecially the third verse. Never when someone else is in the house though.

Try playing that part with a simple eighth note strum using all downstokes. There is nothing special about it.

We are playing this song in my new band, our keyboardist Dmitri is doing all the strings and voices. For me it is just an easy strum song, I sing it. With the keyboard it sounds awesome. :D

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Wes, that sounds simple enough. It's about what I'm doing. I should be OK.

I saw that on your partial set list on another thread. It's a fun tune to play. I probably get carried away on the last verse, but at least I ain't playing without feeling. 8)

I think the next ELO song I might try is Living Thing. http://youtube.com/watch?v=IwZx6GjCIOU

Ken, that's quite alright. Maybe you need to spike that coffee up some? :lol: :lol: :lol: (I've been doing that for about 9 months now. Daily source of amusement for the family. That, and the Hannibal (Anthony Hopkins) impressions when my son asks me something.....)

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Roy

Yeah, that was a favorite of mine too.

We are thinking about doing ELO's version of Roll Over Beethoven. I usually do not like to mix Classical music with Rock, but this is an exception for me.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PLNR4xfh1Qc&feature=related

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Wes,

If anyone could pull off the mix, it would have been ELO.

I gave Livin' Thing a bash last night. Not sure it's (the chord chart) is fit for prime time yet.

Roy

ReplyQuote