Notifications
Clear all

Eight Days A Week - The Beatles

42 Posts
26 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Definition of a good wife....a woman who loves you enough to buy you a guitar!!!!

Rock on Trish!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ghost-rider)
Reputable Member

If you're having trouble with that pesky Bm chord....here's a simplified version that doesn't involve ANY barre chords....

Nice'n'easy, always goes down well in the pub anyway!!!!

:) :) :)

Vic

Is this ever a fun song!
Played Vic's "simplified" version and it sounded great with capo at the fifth fret.
Gonna play it again after a few beers (merely as an artistic experiment :wink: )
Thanks guys!
~Ghost~ 8)

Conclusion: great song. Sounded good (despite variables :roll: ) I think I need to buy a Beatles CD. Played it from memory. I remember listening as a 13 year old to my brother's 8 track of the Beatles 1962-66; but should listen to it again.
It definitely belongs here on the Easy Song Database!

~ghost rider~ 8)

"Colour made the grass less green..." 3000 miles, Tracy Chapman

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Vic wrote:
Definition of a good wife....a woman who loves you enough to buy you a guitar!!!!

You said it man! and I'll second that motion!

Thanks for the correction mate.

I'll try and post some more classics up here soon.

Best regards

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

Ooops! Hit submit a bit too soon!!!

You can add a bit of "colour" to an otherwuse strummed version, by adding in a bit of palm muting on this section.

So play normal strum Bm (Down up down is good), then while holding this chord shape, palm mute it (lay the edlge of your hand across the strings to deaden them, near the bridge) and then repeat a quick DUD strum on the deadened strings. You get a chuck a chuck sound that fits in well here.

All the best

Mat

If you listen to the song the "chuck a chuck" goes on throughout (most) of the song. That's always driven me crazy because I couldn't get the strummimng pattern because I was trying to add this "chuck a chuck" and it screwed up my timing.

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Trying to get the strumming pattern for this but the vocals just get in the way...the intro is D DUD but I can't seem to get the rest?

Anyone that can help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@lineagecreed)
Trusted Member

also need help with the strum
i do DDUUDU, but i got to strum really fast just to keep up, anyone else?

ReplyQuote
(@derfnart)
Eminent Member

great song, this is just what I needed, a sweet little song like this...

I've been playing acoustic and trying to do what amounts to singing along...

so far I've been using D DUD the intro too...

chorus I've been using real quick DUD UD for each part, like "hold me... DUD UD..... love me... DUD UD"

and for the bridge, "eight days a week..... i loooooovee you.." parts I usually slow it down to maybe one or two strokes with emphasis, I feel like it gives it some dramatic pause, as my horrible voice sings...

still playing around with it myself actually, trying to see how it can sound best solo on an acoustic.

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Didn't see this anywhere - I tend to play intro / outro something like this:

xxx775 D DUD with xxx777 on the upstroke

xxx997 --> xxx999 --> xxx997

xxx121210 --> xxx121212 --> xxx121210

Ending on 557775

Nice song!

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

i tried it several times and I do not have it perfectly, in any case I use the folowing patterns

verse: D DU U U or D D DU U (maybe the seocn one i better)

chorus: d du ud

But I will try the ones you're suggesting

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

hello the song works well with any eight notes sincopated pattern

Yesterday I played it with the classic d/du/u/du because it is my favourite one, in the chorus I played d/du/u/d while for the bridge I simplified it playing a few downstrums only

I guess that the real one is something like D D du u d d du pause but as I said the pattern is mainly your choiche

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@ladymadonna)

wow, thank you so much! i really like the beatles, and i guess you could say im a beginner! these chords seem so easy and obvious, im surprised i didnt see it before. thanks again :D !

~*While My guitar gently weeps*~

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Glad you like it LadyMadonna,

Welcome to Guitarnoise.

Never thought this post would spark the amount of interest it has when I originally posted it. But, it is a great song for beginners.

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@rob-l)
Trusted Member

A fun and easy song to learn to play. I learned this in the key of D from Chris' original post after learning it in the key of C from an Easy Beatles book I have. My daughter, who plays trumpet, got a Beatles music book for Christmas. It has all the melodies for Bb trumpet. One of the first songs she learned was Eight Days A Week. I wanted to play along with her but had no idea what key she was playing in. I suspected the key of F since the music indicated only one flat was present and I remembered something from my lessons about the Circle of Fifths. Well, I brought her book to my lesson last night and found out she was playing in the key of F. So, did this mean I would also play in the key of F? No, I was told. Since the trumpet is a Bb instrument it meant I should play in the key of G. So then we spent the rest of my lesson transposing and playing in the key of G. Of course, this morning going through the thread I see that Vic has already done this. It was a good learning exercise anyway. Next, teaching her to transpose music to other keys.

Well I got this guitar and I'm tryin' to learn how to make it talk.

ReplyQuote
(@ladymadonna)

thank you Dogsbody! im really glad i found this site, its helped me a lot! i play a lot of instruments, but i recently decided to try guitar too, i will make sure to recomend it to all my guitar playing friends! :D

~*While My guitar gently weeps*~

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

hey everyone

I think I might have this being a beginner , I ' m pretty excited ...

Strum pattern well ??? I count four strums for each chord then when toy come to the D on the first line it also is D on the second line so I thought that would mean strum the D chord 8 times ... I'M probably wrong , I also use a fairly lively down / up stroke like ...

D-chord =d/u/d/u/d/u/d
EM =d/u/d/u/d/u/d
G =d/u/d/u/d/u/d
back to D=d/u/d/u/d/u/d/d/u/d/u/d/u/d

next line

Am I close ? or am I am miles from it ? it sounds pretty good

Please help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote