Clear all

Girl From The North Country - Dylan

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Its not often that you hear a cover version of one of Dylan's songs that just blows you away (His take based on Scarborough Fair as you'll see from some of the lyrics). This one did. The tune is nothing like Scarborough Fair though.
I heard it yesterday from a 15 track CD of cover versions that came free with my subscription copy of Mojo magazine. The other tracks were average by other artists but this one, the last track was brilliant. It was done by some guys who did a tour in the States together in Feb 2004. They are called M Ward, Conor Oberst & Jim James. Never heard of them before. I'd recommend getting the magazine (The September Issue) for this track alone. Dead simple chords too!! Same pattern right through the song. I couldn't resist strumming along with the CD. Perfect for beginners. Anyway enjoy it:

Intro: G C D G

Verse 1:

(NC)Well, if you're (G)travellin' in (C)the (D)north (G)country fair,

(G)Where the winds hit heavy on the borderline

Remember (C)me to one (G)who lives there

(G)She once (C)was a (D)true (G)love of mine.

Verse 2:

Well, if you go in the snowflake storm
When the rivers freeze and summer ends
Please see she has a coat so warm
To keep her from the howlin' winds.

Verse 3:

Please see for me if her hair hangs long
If it rolls and flows all down her breast,
Please see for me if her hair hangs long,
That's the way I remember her best.

Verse 4:

I'm a wonderin' if she remembers me at all
Many times I've often prayed
In the darkness of my night
In the brightness of my day.

Verse 5:

So if you're travellin' in the north country fair,
Where the winds hit heavy on the borderline
Remember me to one who lives there,
She once was a true love of mine.

Best regards,

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

(@mbroughton)
Eminent Member

Conor Oberst is the name of the fellow who fronts the band (and is better known as) Bright Eyes. If you haven't got any of his albums then they are well worth seeking out, especially his last album "I'm wide awake, its morning". Lovely stuff.

I think Jim James is the bloke from southern country outfit 'My Morning Jacket'; he also sings on the first track on the afforementioned album.

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi.

Thanks mbroughton for the info, I couldn't find anything about these guys. I'll definitely be looking into their stuff now.

Cheers,

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've heard of Conor Oberst before....he's a big hero of Bluenightangel's, who writes some really good songs on the SSG forum - hell, if he's her biggest influence, I want some!!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote