Notifications
Clear all

Good order for Easy Songs for Beginners

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@pmckee)
Topic starter  

I just finished Horse with No Name ... wow! I actually sounded pretty good. Good that is for being in my first month of guitar :). My wife could actually tell what song I was trying to play! I am so excited to keep going but I don't know what to try next! Any suggestions? I looked at Margaritaville but it seems a little hard. Anyway has anybody figured out a good progression? Many thanks!

Peter

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

pmckee,

I don't think you'll really find any kind of order, what's easy for you might be hard for someone else and waht's hard for you might be easier for them, so it would be difficult to have an actual progression.

Just go through the list in the Easy song section and pick out the ones you like and work on those. If you get stuck somewhere or you think your not ready for it then just move on to another song.

Just keep playin and practicing and you'll be playing all of them in no time.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

If you go to the Easy Song for Beginner's page, the songs are listed in the order they were written (starting at the bottom with "Horse w/ No Name"):

https://www.guitarnoise.com/topics/easy-guitar-songs/

They roughly go in order of difficulty for the first several lessons where each lesson builds somewhat on the previous lesson. I'd suggest starting in that order. There is something to learn in each lesson (aside from the song itself), so reading each lesson will give you at least some theory knowledge. Have fun!

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

ReplyQuote
(@pmckee)
Topic starter  

cnev / laoch,

Sounds good ... i'll start from the bottom and work my way up :) . Thanks for replying to a question that's probably been asked a million times.

Peter

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

No problem, I skipped through many of the songs on the Easy song page for a couple reasons, either I didn't like the song or in the cases where David was doing fingerpicking lessons I skipped because I wasn't interested at the time.

I think I learned a few from there and a few from the Intermediate list and there wasn't alot of rhyme or reason, but do what comes natural to you. Although you want to progress and challenge yourself with harder and harder pieces sometimes it's just fun to learn some easy songs that you are familiar with just to help build up your repetoire.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

Good points Cnev. I understand the importance of learning songs you like to provide the proper motivation.

Pmckee - I would suggest at least trying the first few songs in order (from the Easy Songs for Beginners Lessons). For songs you are unfamiliar with or don't really care for, you can still learn something. You will end up concentrating more on and practicing the songs you like anyway. After the first few songs, you can skip around a bit more. Each lesson will have some focus (fingerpicking, slide, chord voicings, etc.). If you find something too advanced you can always come back to it later.
Enjoy!

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

ReplyQuote