Clear all

Grateful Dead - Friend of the Devil

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

does anyone know the strumming/picking pattern for this song? i've tried to feel it out but i just can't seem to get it down. any help would be much appreciated

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

(@ovation_player)
Trusted Member

I don't have a tab of the song but from what I remember the rhythm guitar part is kind of an alternating bass/ chord type of arrangement

What I mean by that is I think the first chord is D so you play open d string and then strum the d chord then play the a string open and strum the d chord and alternate back and forth with d bass d chord a bass d chord until you get to the next chord which I believe is c. You do the same thing for the c chord play c on fifth string third fret and then strum the c chord play g on sixth string 3rd fret and strum the c chord and so on till you get to the next chord change which I think is g then you do the same thing bass notes would be g and b or d.

The verse continues along like that. There might be an a minor chord in there some where like where they sing "got two reasons why I cry away each lonely night" and then there's a little riff around there with the d chord where you play d , dsus4 , dsus2 or some variation of that.

In the opening riff bob is sliding one of his fingers around the bass notes climbing down from a g chord to a c chord then back down to g all while picking some of the higher notes of the chords with his other fingers it sounds harder than it is. I haven't figured out Jerry's part

That's about it. Sorry I don't have a tab for it that's the best I can do without one

"This song starts off kinda slow then fizzles out altogether" Neil Young

ReplyQuote
(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

INTRO PART A: (two times)

This serves to introduce the moving bass line heard through all the verses.

G F# E D C B A G
3/G |-0------------------------------------|
4/D |------4----2----0---------------------|
5/A |---------------------3----2----0------|
6/E |------------------------------------3-|

INTRO PART B: (two times)

G G/F# G/E G/D C C/B C/A C/G
1/E |---3----3----3----3---------------------|
2/B |---0----0----0----0----1----1----1------|
3/G |-0------0----0----0----0----0----0----0-|
4/D |------4----2----0-------2----2----2----2-|
5/A |------------------------3----2----0------3-|
6/E |----------------------------------------3---|

VERSE 1: (pick root note and strum)

I LIT OUT FROM RENO I WAS TRAILED BY TWENTY HOUNDS
DIDN'T GET TO SLEEP THAT NIGHT TILL THE MORNING CAME A-ROUND

I can't get everything lined up correctly but basically it's every siliable you are either picking a root note and then the remainder of the chord on the next siliable... and then you move to the next chord. So I'm not kidding when I say moving base line.

Chorus is much simplier. If you got Microsoft Word I'll e-mail it to ya.

[email protected]

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Music "Theory"? "It's not just a theory, it's the way it is!"

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote