Hold Your Head Up- Argent

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

This song was requested by Vic.

The main feature of this song is an open D string, with chords played on the G, B, and high E strings. This gives the song an Eastern drone effect, very common in the psychedelic era.

Here is the song on You Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBnSWJHawQQ

The tab:

Main Riff

Dsus4 D C/D Csus2/D Dsus4 D Dsus4 Am9/D Am/D
e-3p-3--3--2-----3i-3--3—-3i-----3--3--3--2----3-----7-7-—5-
b-3r-3--3--3-----5p-5--5—-3i-----3--3--3--3----3-----5-5-—5-
g-2i-2--2--2-----5r-5-—5--5r-----2--2--2--2----2-----5-5-—5-
d-0--0--0--0-----0--0--0--0------0--0--0--0----0-----0-0-—0-
a-----------------------------------------------------------
e-----------------------------------------------------------

Chorus
D Fsus4/D
e-2--2-2-2---6p------
a-3--3-3-3---6r------
g-2--2-2-2---5i------ play 3 times then…
d-0--0-0-0---0-------
a--------------------
e--------------------

Esus4/D E/D
e-5p-5--5—-4m------
b-5r-5--5—-5r------
g-4i-4--4—-4i------
d-0--0--0--0-------
a------------------
e------------------

Descending chord progression after solo

D, C, Bb, Ab, G, E, C, A, F (4:37 in the video). The guitar actually stays on a D chord throughout, the keyboard plays the descending chords. But this will work if you don't have keyboards.

For the Fsus4/D and the Esus4/D and E/D chords, simply slide an open D chord up. Easy.

Edit- Here is the descending chord progression played on the D, G, and B strings. I like this much better than playing full chords, especially the Aflat chord with flatted 5th. The dissonant chords are what make this song great.

D C/D Bb/D Ab-5 G/D E/D C/D A/D F/D
e--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
b--3-3-3----1-1-1----3-3-3----1-1-1----0-0-0----0-0-0----1-1-1----2-2-2----1-1-1-
g--2-2-2----0-0-0----3-3-3----1-1-1----0-0-0----1-1-1----0-0-0----2-2-2----2-2-2-
d--0-0-0----0-0-0----0-0-0----0-0-0----0-0-0----0-0-0----0-0-0----0-0-0----0-0-0-
a--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
e--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the correct lyrics:

And if it's bad
Don't let it get you down, you can take it.
And if it hurts
Don't let them see you cry, you can make it.

Hold your head up (woman), hold your head up (woman)
Hold your head up (woman), hold your head high.

And if they stare
Just let them burn their eyes on you moving.
And if they shout
Don't let it change a thing that you're doing.

Hold your head up (woman), hold your head up (woman)
Hold your head up (woman), hold your head high.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

thanks for posting this Wes,
i need to dig out my Argent anthology and convert it to digital.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Brilliant, thanks, Wes! BTW, did you notice on the chords I was using they're actually the same chords for the verse, just played in a different place? Sounds better with that open D string, though.

Bit of practise, I should have this one down pretty soon.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Vic, glad you like it, I always liked this song myself. Yes, your chords were close. After listening, I changed the G/D chord I originally tabbed to a Csus4/D. One little half-step difference, but your tab sounded better. Your tab had a Bb chord at the 6th fret, I believe the Fsus4/D is correct to my ear. This also has just one different note, the Fsus4 has one note a whole step lower (plus the open D string). Put some vibrato or wobble on that Fsus4 chord to sound like the recording. :twisted:

I still believe on the descending chord progression that the guitar plays a straight D chord while the keyboard plays the descending chords against it, but without a keyboard the guitar would have to play this part. I believe the partial three note chords I tabbed capture both, a little better than full barre chords. If you still want to play full barres, substitute a Ab chord with flatted 5th for a Ab Major. That flatted 5th note makes a huge difference. You can play the Ab with flatted 5th in barre form on the top four strings like this:

Ab with flatted 5th
e------------
b------------
g---5r-------
d---6p-------
a---5m-------
e---4i-------

A very strange, almost ugly sounding chord by itself, but sounds awesome in that descending chord progression.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@mousami)

Hey! this song you composed is vital one for me to practice at my home and I'm going to play well also. Compose more songs and I will be definitely benefited by your song composing.

_________
mousami

Sreevysh Corp

ReplyQuote