5 Users
0 Likes
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

How to align text for TAB, etc.

1. You can enter text, directly into the GN text box - go to 3.3

2. Input to Word Processor.
If you want to input the text, using Word, Wordperfect, OpenOffice, or similar, you need to switch the character set to "Courier". You can do this before entering any text, as all following characters will assume that attribute. Once you've done that, you can proceed as for the text editor - 3.1.

3. Input to text editor.
If you use a text editor, such as Windows Notepad, Notepad++ (freeware), Ultraedit, or similar, you can enter all your text and it will be, automatically, aligned for you. This is because, in text editors, each character has the same amount of space allocated as every other character. Allow the program to wrap text at the end of a line, do NOT change line, using the "Enter" key - this is only for going to a new paragraph.

Example:
"I wrote all of this, using Notepad++. This text has been deliberately split,
using the "Enter" key."
"Had I allowed the program to decide where to split the line I would get a far better usage of space, within the text area of the BB."

3.1. To take the text, from the editor, to GN, mark all of the text - you can do this using "Ctrl+A" - and copy the text (Ctrl+C) to the clipboard.

3.2. Go to the text box of GN and click on the place that you want to paste the text, to give the text box the focus and to position the cursor. Now, paste the text, using "Ctrl+V".

3.3 The text is in the box, but, by default, in a variable font, so you need to replace this with a fixed-pitch font, such as courier (even though you may have entered it, into a processor/editor, using a fixed-width font). The simplest way is to use the "code" option. GN offers two slightly different ways to do this.

The first, and least elegant, is to click on the "code" button. This will add the opening "code" tag - the word "code" surrounded by square brackets "[" & "]" - but it will be put at the end of the text, not where the cursor is standing, so you'll have to manually move it to the start position of the text to "code". To close off the "code" block, you'll need to use the "end-code" tag ("/code", surrounded by square brackets "[" & "]"). GN will also put this tag at the end of the text (totally ignoring whwere the cursor is standing), so you'll, again, have to move it to the end of the "code" block.

The more elegant way, is to mark all of the text, that is to be enclosed by the "code" tag, and click on the "code" button. Both the opening and closing tags will be, simultaneously, added at the right place (not at the end of all the text).

I'll give you a short example, but enclose the "code" tags in curly brackets ("(" & ")"), instead of square ones, to make them visible:

Here's a couple of lines, from "Imagine" in the Easy Songs Forum:

C Cmaj7 F
Imagine there's no heaven,
C Cmaj7 F
It's easy if you try.

As you can see, the chords, scrunch up to one end of the line, even though the required number of spaces have been entered into the text. By adding the code tags, but changing nothing else:
(code)C Cmaj7 F
C Cmaj7 F
It's easy if you try.(/code)

everything now comes out correctly
C Cmaj7 F
C Cmaj7 F
It's easy if you try.

Here's another example, from "Walk Don't Run"

A F E
E:--------------------- -------------------
B:--------------------- ------------1----0-
G:--------------------- ------0--2---------
D:------------0--2--3-- -(3)---------------
A:--0--2--3------------ -------------------

(code) A F E
E:--------------------- ------------------- (/code)
A F E

That's all there is to it, folks.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

...and here's the quick ref version for doing the tab part: (no offense, just that in my job I'm used to people who skip instructions looking for this kind of thing :))

• Open notepad

• Type it as you want to see it

• Ctrl A

• Ctrl C

• Switch to GN

• Hit 'code'

• Ctrl V

• Hit 'code' again
  • ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
    (@greybeard)
    Illustrious Member
    Topic starter  

...and here's the quick ref version: (no offense, just that in my job I'm used to people who skip instructions looking for this kind of thing :))

• Open notepad

• Type it as you want to see it

• Ctrl A

• Ctrl C

• Switch to GN

• Hit 'code'

• Ctrl V

• Hit 'code' again

• That only works if you're putting all of the text into code tags. If you're only putting some tab or text into tags, then it won't work.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
    Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
    Greybeard's Pages
    My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
    (@misanthrope)
    Noble Member

Good point - edited accordingly.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
    (@corbind)
    Noble Member

Now THIS is a good sticky. Thanks guys for taking time to make a detailed way to do things. That'll help all of us with the process. :D

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
    (@denny)
    Reputable Member

Let me add this. I just couldn't figure out what the & did. It didn't seem to make any difference when I added them. Thanks to "Misanthrope", for pointing out that it fixes it after you submit it.

ReplyQuote
    (@reject)

It's because of this exact challenge that we initially decide that for greendaychords.com we would make the lyric/chord charts in photoshop and then display them as images. That way we can control exactly how they look and where the chords appear and not worry about things getting shifted around because of different text editors or different Wordpress themes.

The added benefit is that we can watermark our work with our URL and not worry about other chord sites stealing our content (at least not without it being obvious)

ReplyQuote