Clear all

"Instant Karma" (Plastic Ono Band)

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well I was really surprised to have done a search here and find this one unposted.
Did the search after stumbling upon it on another website so I take no credit for it, even tho I wish I had the ability to tab this one out.
I have found this to be an extremely good version and all the changes in the right place.

This I think was John's first single as a solo artist (if you can call being in a band, solo)

Anyway here it is

Instant Karma
A F#m A F#m
Instant Karma's gonna get you, gonna knock you right on the head.
A F#m F G A
You better get yourself together, pretty soon gonna be dead.
D Bm D Bm
What in the world you thinking of, laughing in the face of love.
C Am D E
What on earth you trying to do, it's up to you, yeah you.
A F#m A F#m
Instant Karma's gonna get you, gonna look you right in the face.
A F#m F G A
You better get yourself together, darling, join the human race.
D Bm D Bm
How in the world you gonna see, laughing at fools like me.
C Am D E
Who on earth d'you think you are, a superstar? Well, alright you are.
Chorus
G Bm Em G Bm Em
Well we all shine on, like the moon and the stars and the sun.
G Bm Em D E
Well we all shine on, everyone, come on.
A F#m A F#m
Instant Karma's gonna get you, gonna knock you off your feet.
A F#m F G A
Better recognise your brothers, everyone you meet.
D Bm D Bm
Why in the world are we here, surely not to live in pain and fear.
C Am D E
Why on earth are you there, when you're everywhere, come and get your share.

Here is a link to a nice midi file for you to play along with

[link removed]
On this, the piano is taking the part of the vocals so you need to listen to the backing.

This is a great song to play along to and not too difficult.

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Rodders

Thanks for the great song, I have always loved this. I have never heard a song with drums like this recording, just awesome.

I used to sing this at karaoke, and was pretty good at it. So thanks for the guitar chords.

I think I had this 45 back around 1972?? If I remember Yoko sang some horrible song on the backside, really worse than anything I've ever heard.

Thanks again,

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Glad you like it Wes, and yeah that midi is very well done.

So, you think Yoko can't sing eh, now where have I heard that before????? Oh yes, from everybody who has ever heard her :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way, does anybody know how to edit midi tracks as I'd like to lose the piano on this one and just leave the rythmn

Stay in tune,

Rod. :wink:

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Great one Rod!

That midi file really demonstrates the great melody of this song that is not so apparent from John's heavy drum beat dominated original version. I'll have fun getting to grips with this.

Chris :D :D :D

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

mmmm, just to add a little trivia - Instant Karma was John's first post-Beatles hit, he was also the first ex-Beatle to appear on top of The Pops - February 1970. He had a skinhead haircut (this was in the days of 'Bovver Boys') and was pilloried by the newspapers for it! I just thought it was a fabulous record and went out and bought it.....

It got to #2 in the charts - the first solo Beatle to have a number one hit was George, with My Sweet Lord a few weeks later - which stayed at #1 for about 8 weeks, there was a postal strike on at the time and the record shops couldn't post their sales figures to the BBC - brits of a certain age will remember The Pushbike Song by the Mixtures was stuck at #2 for weeks and weeks....ssssssssh, ooh ooh, sssssh ahhhhhhhhhhh! Boy did we get fed up of that song!

Then Ringo did "It Don't Come Easy" - I tabbed that one out, it's in here somewhere - then McCartney's first solo hit was "Another Day" - the writing credits on that on read "Mr and Mrs McCartney".....I have a vivid memory of hearing that one on the radio when my dad was in hospital, Another Day was #2 and I said to my dad "Hah, T.Rex are still #1" - that would've been Hot Love.....thing was, with those old hospital headphones in, I couldn't hear a thing, didn't realise I was shouting.....until I took them off and realised the whole ward was looking at me.......

So I put the headphones back on, red-faced, and listened to T.Rex.....ntil my dad turned round and motioned to take them off - I looked round and Kevin Keegan and Alec Lindsay were visiting , they were both Liverpool players (footballers) at the time, I was totally gobsmacked but retained enough sanity to get autographs.....which I still have.....

Ah, happy days!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote