Clear all

John Prine - Long Monday

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I put this together by request. Thought I'd post it here. It's a cool little fingerpicking song from one of my favorite artists.

I just had a listen which was no real sacrifice because I love John Prine. This is a bit rough, but should get you most of the way through it. The trick to figuring out John Prine is he always uses the same basic chords, but he loves to capo. So I just figured out where I'd need to capo to make this a song in G. It's a pretty basic fingerpicking roll.

Each line of the intro plays the G chord twice, neither time plays the high E string. The first time the 3rd fret of the B string is fretted, second time it's open. I'm calling one GMaj and the other G though technically they are the same chord

GMaj is 3-2-0-0-3-x
G is played 3-2-0-0-0-3

On the last C of each intro line he plays a G pull off from the third fret of the high E. As I say in the video, I just put my finger down on the third fret of the high E and leave it there.

So the last C is played as a normal C and then as:

x -3-2-0-1-3

Capo 3
Intro:
GMaj G C
GMaj G C
GMaj G D
C G

G C G
You and me sittin' in the back of my memory
G C G
Like a honey bee Buzzin round a glass of sweet Chablis
D C G
Radio's on Windows rolled up And my mind's rolled down
D C G
Headlights shining Like silver moons Rollin on the ground

G C G
We made love in everyway love can be made
G C G
And we made time look like time Could never fade
D C G
Friday Night We both made the guitar hum
D C D
Saturday made Sunday feel Like it would never come

G
Gonna be a long Monday
C
Sittin' all alone on a mountain
G
By a river that has no end
G
Gonna be a long Monday
D
Stuck like the tick of a clock
C G
That's come unwound again

Break:
G D C G

G C G
Soul to soul heart to heart and cheek to cheek
G C G
Come on baby give me a kiss that'll last all week
D C G
The thought of you leavin' again Brings me down
D C D
The promise of Your sweet love Brings me around

Forgive the mistakes, I've never played this one before, you can watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUUsnUER2NQ

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

One of these days, I'm going to have to search John Prine on youtube....he seems to come highly recommended. Celt, Elecktra, Nick, Ricochet....definitely going to have to investigate further.

Don't know the song, but 320030 is a G6 chord - G B D G D and E. There's about a million ways to play that chord, from "All Right Now" to "Band On The Run."

Thanks for your contribution, Nick!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

If I'd left the E in, I'd agree with you about the G6, but it isn't played. The 3rd fret of the B string is a D which already exists in a standard G. I just used the nomenclature to differentiate between the two versions of G. Probably incorrectly, but that has never stopped me before.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

oops, sorry, missed the "x" on the top E......my mistake!

BTW, if we're using different versions of the same chords, we usually do it like this....

G - 320003
G* - 320033
G** - 355433
G*** - 10 10 12 12 12 10

OR...

G ....320003
G1....320033

OR....

G....320003
G(alt) - 320033

etc...as long as it's clear which version of a particular chord you're using. Always remember, the ESD's here to kick-start the newer players into actually playing songs - you've always got to try and make it easy for 'em!!! Remember when you were a struggling newb? We all went through that....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well the video calls them GMaj and since it is, I'm going to stick with that. Changing the tab so it doesn't match the video is just going to cause confusion.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

How dare you correct the Iron Fist! :twisted:

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member

Nice job, Nick. Looking forward to playing this tomorrow, between extended sessions on "Blue Danube". Any chance you know "Picture Show", from "Jesus: The Missing Years"?

:D

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I do know a version of picture show. I'll see if I can put something together.

If you'd like to get his fingerpicking down better, take a look at David's Hello in There lesson.

ReplyQuote
(@bill_gates_jr)
Eminent Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_YrJABjYBE&feature=PlayList&p=2F757A9F3AFB81FB&index=0

This is a u tube link of mr prine some saturday night in someones kitchen

CLASSIC !!!!! U MUST SEE THIS

SIGNED
PIKIN AND GRININ

ReplyQuote