Notifications
Clear all

Maggie May - Rod Stewart & The Faces

47 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

One other thing, there's an extra D chord at the end of each of the verses.

Great song this, love it.

If only I could play that solo.....!!

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@alfsevic)
Eminent Member

hi elektrablue could you send me the gpro file please, to <[email protected]> I saw rod stewart sing this on unplugged, with ronnie woods, and ronnie´s solo was great, hope its in the file.
alfsevic

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Check your email!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member

Great Tab Dogsbody,

My wife was just talking about this song a couple of days ago and here it is!

Great Work, can't wait to try it tonight.

Kenny

ReplyQuote
(@alfsevic)
Eminent Member

Thanks Elektra
alfsevic

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Thank You for this song!

Maggie May is one of those oldies so deeply embedded that I can hear it perfectly in my brain and intuitively feel how the strumming should go.

It's one I can actually play (mostly, anyhow), and now I can't stop. :lol:

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thats ok Margaret,

You obviously love this song as much as I do. Yes its imbedded in my brain too since I first heard it way back in 1971,
Part of my life soundtrack I suppose.

I'm amazed how this thread has gone for three pages and jam packed with other hints and tips for playing it from other GN members. Thank you all!

Goes to show you just can't keep a good song down!

Chris :D :D :D

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Opp's nearly posted twice

:oops: :oops: :oops:
Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

This is how I play the intro.........
Dsus2 Em7 G5 G D5 G5

e|------0-5-0---|-----3-3-3P--3--|------3-3-3H5-7--|--5---3--|
B|--3---3-3-3---|-----5---5-3-3--|------3---3---3--|--3---3--|
G|------2---2---|-0---0---0---0--|--0---0---0---0--|--2---0--|
D|--0-----------|-0--------------|--0-----------0--|--0---0--|
A|--------------|----------------|-----------------|---------|
E|--------------|----------------|--3--------------|---------|

Dsus2 Em7 G5 G D5 Bm G

e|------0-5-0H2-2--|-----3-3-3P--3--|-----3-3-3H5-7--|--5----2--3--|
B|--3---3-3-3---3--|-----5---5-3-3--|-----3-3-3---3--|--3----3--3--|
G|------2---2---2--|-----0---0---0--|-0---0-0-0---0--|--2----4--4--|
D|--0--------------|-0--------------|-0-----------0--|--0----4--5--|
A|-----------------|----------------|----------------|-------------|
E|-----------------|----------------|-3--------------|-------------|

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Hi there Chris, isn't it amazing how well you can play something when nobody else is listening :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Just had a run through this one again after last night's bit of fun and guess what :?: I got it right first time :wink: :wink: :wink: . Not only this one, but every other one we tried.
We really must get together and perfect a few of these numbers and shock a few people, or maybe even shock ourselves,

Stay cool Chris,

Rod. :)

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Your dead right there Rodders,

At least we didn't die on stage completely and everyone in the audience had a good laugh and encouraged us through to the end.

I'm cool now Rodders,

Chris :)

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

dogsbody wrote: At least we didn't die on stage completely and everyone in the audience had a good laugh and encouraged us through to the end.
OK, guys, now you have to fill us in on the story! Sounds like it might be a good one........ :D

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ok Margaret, how long have you got?

I'm sure Rodders won't mind, and he can correct anything I say that's not how he experienced things.

Well my sister always throws a garden party for her husband James's birthday and he is really into PA systems and has one hell of a set up. Last year I did my first open mic there, just one song with help of some great guys John and Alan who are a brilliant acoustic duo.

This year Rodders said he would like to have a go too. So we both worked hard building up a small set list individually meeting up to jam now and then (Rodders and I are brothers by the way).

Came this Saturday at the party and after the true musicians John and Alan had completed their first set, Rodders and I had a go. We started with my set, "Living Next Door To Alice". having not practiced enough together we were all out of time with each other. Then I forgot the lyrics, concentrated on them too much and then started loosing the plot guitarwise, concentrated on the guitar neck, mouth leaves the mic, no singing heard. A visicious circle!!! The audience including John and Alan were in hysterics but applauded our efforts and joined in singing to keep us going. In fact Alan said, "we used to sound like that when we started out"

Then came "Maggie May" which went better but I bottled out on the guitar breaks just to keep it going while Rodders struggled manfully on trying to keep with me. What a carve up but we went on to do two more numbers including "Honky Tonk Woman" to rapturous applause and laughter.

Then Rodders did his set list with the help of John and did really well playing "Nobody Knows You When Your Down And Out" and "San Fransisco Blues". He finished off with a bit of "Layla". Well done Rodders!!!

The moral of the story is:
At home on your own you can play and sing perfectly. But you have to practice, practice with others. Learn those lyrics and chords blindfold. Because in front of an audience with guitars plugged into a PA and mics to sing into it gets scarey. But neither of us would have missed it for the world. We will be back next year.

Over to you Rodders!

ReplyQuote
 shug
(@shug)
Reputable Member

Dogsbody, sounds like you have a great sense of humor and a great self-image since you can laugh at yourself! I find that story reassuring as my fingers turn to stone if someone just comes into the room while I am practicing! (BTW, I'm new enough here that I didn't know you and Rodders were brothers!! Enjoy posts from the both of you!)

"Music hath charms to soothe a savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak."

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Yup, I think you have just about summed up the night there Chris, don't think you missed anything out.
Looks like we are going to get a chance to redeem ourselves sooner than we thought as I see there is a BBQ looming not too far away.

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4