Man Of Constant Sorrow - Soggy Bottom Boys

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Yeah! I've been having a go at some bluegrass,

This is a great easy song which I first heard when watching the hillarious film "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" starring George Clooney. I love country and I've especially grown to love bluegrass. That crazed look in Georges eyes as he performed it (er mimed I think) was just brilliant.

The song uses easy chords if you put a capo on fret 3 but it is not quite the right key. If you put the capo on fret 1 and use an E, A and a barred B instead you get a closer key to the original but the barre for B being on fret 3 and a stretch to the D G and B strings fret 5 for your other fingers is not so easy for beginners. Anyway try both versions, see what you think.

As for the strumming pattern, I got it by listening to Alison Krauss and Union Station featuring the great Dan Tyminski playing the song on CD and jamming along with them. It took a while but I was in there with them. Great fun, especially with the DGAD breaks after the choruses where you can improvise your strumming.

Anyway I'll attach a link to a youtube video of this if I can find one to give you an idea

(CAPO: 3rd fret)

Intro: D A D

Intro Chorus:

(D)In constant (A)sorrow through his (D)days

Verse 1:

(D)I am the man of constant (G)sorrow

I've (A)seen trouble on my (D)days

I bid farewell to old (G)Kentucky

The place where (A)I was born and (D)raised

Chorus 1:

The place where (A)he was born and (D)raised

--Break--> D G A D

Verse 2:

(D)For six long years, I've been in (G)trouble

No pleasure (A)here on earth I (D)find

(D)For in this world, I'm (G)bound to ramble

I have no (A)friends to (D)help me now

Chorus 2:

He has no (A)friends to (D)help him now

--Break--> D G A D

Verse 3:

(D)hey it's fair the well my old true (G)lover

I never (A)expect to see you (D)again

(D)For I'm bound to ride that northern (G)railroad

Perhaps I'll (A)die upon this (D)train

Chorus 3:

Perhaps he'll (A)die upon this (D)train

--Break--> D G A D

Verse 4:

(D)You can bury me in some deep (G)valley

for many (A)years where I'll be (D)laid.

and you may learn to love (G)another

while I am (A)sleeping in my(D)grave.

Chorus 4:

while he is (A)sleeping in his (D)grave

Break: D G A D

Verse 5:

(D)Maybe your friends think I'm just a (G)stranger

My face you'll (A)never see no (D)more

(D)But there is one promise that is (G)given

I'll meet you (A)on God's golden (D)shore

Chorus 5:

He'll meet you (A)on God's golden (D)shore

Here's the video link:

Dan Tyminski, Alison Krauss and Union Station

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drNcKqKD-kI

and the George Clooney Soggy Bottom Boys just for fun link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqwJvsJ8OsY

Have fun as always,

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Great, Chris! I am a huuuuuuuuuuge fan of the Coen Bros......I love every one of their films! This song is a particular favourite - I tried to work it out one time and gave up, pre-GN days........now I'm going to have to learn this!

My favourite film was Fargo.......until we got stuck in Minneapolis Airport for 12 hours on the way back from Texas....the accent lost a little of its novelty that day.....but I've grown to love it again.....

In OBWAT, I loved the way they accidentally recorded a hit single - Man Of Constant Sorrow - and bumped into a thinly-disguised Robert Johnson......

I don't know what Joel and Ethan drink, but mine's a double.......!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@mhlandry)
Trusted Member

I love this song. I keep trying to find other music that sounds like this, but it seems like a lot of Union Station is slower stuff. This song is just awesome.

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys,

You is both officially intergrated! :D :D :wink: :wink:

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

That there tab's bonafide! :lol:

Thanks Chris! I've always loved that song. I've been thinking of riggin' up a tin can to go around my mic to try and emulate that sound for the vocals. One day.........

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Thought I might send you guys here for the intro. http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtd.asp?ppn=MN0051699
Although it does seem that the tuning is in dropped D.

Nice job Chris :wink:

D'ya want to jam with this one at the weekend ???

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@dustdevil)
Estimable Member

I think the Tyminski version is actually in DADGAD capo'ed on the 3rd fret to F. There's a tab floating around on the internet somewhere...

John A.

They say only a pawnshop guitar can play the blues. An eBay one does it better. A guitar's bound to feel unloved if her owner plasters pictures of her over the internet for all to see and then sells her off to the highest anonymous bidder.

ReplyQuote
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member

Awesome Job, Chris...

Love this song and love the movie. I wasn't a Clooney fan until I saw this movie and saw his comedic genius. I've looked for a tab or chord for this song for ages, but haven't found one, until now.

Cheers, Kenny

ReplyQuote
(@steeder)

Chris,

Thanks for the post. I've been playing along with the YouTube vid and your chords for the past few days since you posted. Lots of fun.

Steed

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Chris,

I had never seen the film that this song came from until last night and now I have I will definitely have to give it a go.

I have found loads of different arrangements for it, mostly in F which sounds quite good but I have also found one in DADGAD here http://www.fretplay.com/tabs/s/soggy_bottom_boys/i_am_a_man_of_constant_sorrow-tab.shtml which if you can be bothered to change your tuning is well worth the effort.

Nice one. :wink:

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Glad you finally saw it Rod,

It has to be in my top ten of great films.

Just to let everyone know I have edited the original post because the previous links to the Youtube clips now only go to a message from youtube that the clips have been deleted for copyright reasons. So I have added two more links to similar clips on youtube. The Dan Tyminski one is probably better because Alison Kruss gives a good intro to the background of The Soggy Bottom Boys and there are good closeups of the guitar playing, also some good onstage banter as well.

Hope these clips last a while on Youtube.

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@hellokit)

can anyone give me hints on the strumming pattern for this song?

ReplyQuote